Questions for any with working Rift S's?

dburne

Does the light in your headset remain white when the unit is in standby? Or does it turn orange when in standby?

Does the white light on each Touch controller stay on at all times, even when PC is shut down?

Please note this is for the new Rift S only.

Thanks for any feedback!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes mine does this also. Even when it crashed on me with sound, but no video the white stayed on. I decided to take mine back. Too many annoyances. I'll give Oculus time to iron out the kinks. Besides, I can use that money for something more necessary, like new tires.:)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Yes mine does this also. Even when it crashed on me with sound, but no video the white stayed on. I decided to take mine back. Too many annoyances. I'll give Oculus time to iron out the kinks. Besides, I can use that money for something more necessary, like new tires.:)

Yeah between my no image in headset issue after closing Oculus Home and then launching it again ( have to restart the service three times to get it back), and now I have notification my right Touch controller battery is low after only 1 week, I am pretty frustrated.

I absolutely love the image quality and performance though, so not ready to give up on it yet. I am working with support, but only getting correspondence from them like once a day is tough.

Hoping for a firmware fix, but my patience is starting to wear thin. I can leave Oculus Home running and minimized and then don't have to fight the no image issue, but still it is an issue. And I dang sure don't want to be replacing batteries once a week. Guess I could take them out when not in use.

Most interested to hear though from those that are not having issue on these questions.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It's been out a week. The developers have said they are working on a firmware update to fix some issues. Sending it back so soon is just a little unrealistic, but if you are not happy, then OK. It is your loss. When everyone else has it fixed, you will at least have some new tyres.

I have white lights when it is in standby and white lights on the touch controllers. Why do the colour of lights make a huge impact for you that it needs a new thread starting to discuss them?

It's been out a week. The developers have said they are working on a firmware update to fix some issues. Sending it back so soon is just a little unrealistic, but if you are not happy, then OK. It is your loss. When everyone else has it fixed, you will at least have some new tyres.

I have white lights when it is in standby and white lights on the touch controllers. Why do the colour of lights make a huge impact for you that it needs a new thread starting to discuss them?

BECAUSE my touch batteries showing low and needing replacing after 1 week! And hardly use them.

That is WHY!

So I was SIMPLY asking if it was normal for those white lights on Touch to be on 24/7!

MY CV1 batteries lasted for months with same use pattern.

But I guess thanks for at least letting me know how your lights do OK????

Edited by dburne

Don B

dburne, the light shines white to show that the unit is getting power and when the proximity sensor detects something close (i.e your face pressed into the facial interface), it turns to red/amber to indicate it's displaying an image in the lens.

Because I could just see that LED light in the corner of my view, i decided to cover it with a small piece of electric tape. as long as you just cover the LED itself and not the sensor below it, it won't affect the headsets functionality.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Dburne same thing here with computer off the white lights remain on the controllers. With the WMR controllers they died quick I mean didn’t even last a day. Oculus rift s controllers so far have lasted much longer, though agree the CV1 controllers lasted forever.

I’m thinking for a interim fix just pull the batteries out while not using computer.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

dburne, the light shines white to show that the unit is getting power and when the proximity sensor detects something close (i.e your face pressed into the facial interface), it turns to red/amber to indicate it's displaying an image in the lens.

Because I could just see that LED light in the corner of my view, i decided to cover it with a small piece of electric tape. as long as you just cover the LED itself and not the sensor below it, it won't affect the headsets functionality.

Dburne same thing here with computer off the white lights remain on the controllers. With the WMR controllers they died quick I mean didn’t even last a day. Oculus rift s controllers so far have lasted much longer, though agree the CV1 controllers lasted forever.

I’m thinking for a interim fix just pull the batteries out while not using computer.

Ok thanks much guys for the info guys!

I was used to the light in the CV1 turning amber when it was in standby.

Don B

Yeah between my no image in headset issue after closing Oculus Home and then launching it again ( have to restart the service three times to get it back), and now I have notification my right Touch controller battery is low after only 1 week, I am pretty frustrated.

I absolutely love the image quality and performance though, so not ready to give up on it yet. I am working with support, but only getting correspondence from them like once a day is tough.

Hoping for a firmware fix, but my patience is starting to wear thin. I can leave Oculus Home running and minimized and then don't have to fight the no image issue, but still it is an issue. And I dang sure don't want to be replacing batteries once a week. Guess I could take them out when not in use.

Most interested to hear though from those that are not having issue on these questions.

Are you saying that you need Oculus home running in the background to get image in the HMD? If so that's no difference to the CV1. I've also had a problem with my CV1 left hand touch controller not turning off and draining down the battery since I first had them, apparently this is a common fault, I just remove the battery

Are you saying that you need Oculus home running in the background to get image in the HMD? If so that's no difference to the CV1. I've also had a problem with my CV1 left hand touch controller not turning off and draining down the battery since I first had them, apparently this is a common fault, I just remove the battery

No.

The issue I have is after the first start of Oculus Home for the day, the headset comes on appropriately. When finished with that session I put headset aside and close Oculus Home and leaving PC on of course. Then say come back to Oculus Home by putting on headset, or just launching Home from desktop , and I will not get an image in the headset. Audio I get, image I do not.

Only way to get headset image back is restart of PC, or restart of the Oculus Service three times through the option to restart in Oculus Home desktop app.

If I leave Home running and minimized all day, no problem. Close Home though, and the image will not come back when using headset again.

Don B

Hi Don

I do not have this issue unless I selected the 'opt in for beta' option. When i un-selected this option I have not had the problem. My controller batteries do not seem to be running flat after 4 days, but I have not noticed an LED on the controllers though?

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

No.

The issue I have is after the first start of Oculus Home for the day, the headset comes on appropriately. When finished with that session I put headset aside and close Oculus Home and leaving PC on of course. Then say come back to Oculus Home by putting on headset, or just launching Home from desktop , and I will not get an image in the headset. Audio I get, image I do not.

Only way to get headset image back is restart of PC, or restart of the Oculus Service three times through the option to restart in Oculus Home desktop app.

If I leave Home running and minimized all day, no problem. Close Home though, and the image will not come back when using headset again.

I have this same issue. I usually run the driver install in the support folder to get the image back.

I have this same issue. I usually run the driver install in the support folder to get the image back.

That is interesting, I will have to give that a shot and see if it works for me also,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am still communication with Oculus Support, have sent them a few log gatherer files, hoping maybe they can get this one figured out as it certainly is not just me having this issue.

Don B

Well mine has come to an end.

My Rift S is now dead. Played a little Robo Recall this afternoon, took headset off and close Oculus Home. Came back this evening to a black display, except this time getting all kinds of notifications.

Display Port not connected. Then headset requires USB 3, mine is in USB 2 - which it wasn't.

Then littler later message rift S not connected, software needs to be restarted.

Rinse and repeat.

Dead. Going to contact Amazon Prime and just return to them, only question now is do I ask for a replacement or a refund? Guess I will sleep on that one.

Don B

Well mine has come to an end.

My Rift S is now dead. Played a little Robo Recall this afternoon, took headset off and close Oculus Home. Came back this evening to a black display, except this time getting all kinds of notifications.

Display Port not connected. Then headset requires USB 3, mine is in USB 2 - which it wasn't.

Then littler later message rift S not connected, software needs to be restarted.

Rinse and repeat.

Dead. Going to contact Amazon Prime and just return to them, only question now is do I ask for a replacement or a refund? Guess I will sleep on that one.

Pity . The S would have me excited but for repetitive quality concerns...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2