Rift S loses 6DOF, reverts to 3DOF

Sandman1330

Hey everyone,

Anyone else have this issue? Twice in the last 3 days, my Rift S has lost 6DOF tracking and reverted to 3DOF. The only way to fix it was to unplug the USB and plug in again.

I haven’t heard of any other issues, anyone?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

That would normally point to you having too little light in your room for the insight tracking to work properly.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

With the odyssey+ i often had this issue.

With the rift never

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Na, very well lit room - I do have LED bulbs, but I don’t imagine that plays into it.

A google search reveals no one else either... perhaps it’s a defective unit.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I had it twice the other day. Hasn't repeated again tho. No idea why though sorry.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I had it twice the other day. Hasn't repeated again tho. No idea why though sorry.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Huh, you’re the first other report I’ve heard of this. Well at least misery loves company! (Not that this issue causes me misery, it’s just the saying! First world problems, right?)

Hi

I had it last night for about 5 mins, but sorted itself out. It happened when I took of my HMD and put it on a chair behind me.

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Hi

I had it last night for about 5 mins, but sorted itself out. It happened when I took of my HMD and put it on a chair behind me.

Neal

But it fixed itself? Mine didn’t, but I didn’t wait long

Ok tonight I am going to buy the brightess light bulbs I can find and see if that is the issue.

My room is very bright, that didn't seem to be the cause for me.

That being said, I haven't seen it since last week's firmware and Oculus home update (I also opted into Beta).

• 2 months later...

Hey Sandman,

did you find a fix for it? Having the same problem too. My Room is very bright (two windows) but the rift only seems to start DCS with 3DOF.

Thanks!

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

I personally try to have my room the darkest I possibly can.... Lights off, curtains pulled shut. I do use the Rift though and not the S variant.... Not sure if that makes the difference or not.

Regards,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I do use the Rift though and not the S variant.... Not sure if that makes the difference or not.

The Rift CV1 uses external IR sensors and tracks IR LEDs on your headset. It can do so in total darkness.

The Rift S, however, use inside-out tracking by cameras on the headset. The cameras need to see the surroundings in order to track. Basically, if it’s too dark they can’t see.

The Rift CV1 uses external IR sensors and tracks IR LEDs on your headset. It can do so in total darkness.

The Rift S, however, use inside-out tracking by cameras on the headset. The cameras need to see the surroundings in order to track. Basically, if it’s too dark they can’t see.

Copy that, thanks for the info. Did not know that, always happy to learn. Been considering updating the headset, and a friend at the race track here in Portland mentioned a headset that was very reasonably priced and nearly removed all the "screen door effect" but can't recall which one it was. Was in the $300-$400 range as well, which isn't bad if it does remove most of it.

Thanks again for the info about the Rift S tracking. Does the S model offer any AR possibility? Not so much for DCS but for my race simulator, would be pretty handy to be able to see the actual steering wheel and hands, rather than the "in-sim / in-game" wheel.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Does the S model offer any AR possibility?

Undortunately no... You can use the cameras, to view your surroundings, but the resolution is rather poor and only grayscale. You do use this view when setting up your play area by viewing your room in the VR display while drawing the play area with your controllers.

I too would like an AR feature.

I was constantly having this problem until i changed usb ports. Restarted oculus & all seems to be ok now.

ALienware aurora R7, Windows 10 home 64 bit, i7-8700, RTX2080ti, 32 GB Ram, 2TB SATA hard drive, 250 GB M2 SSD, 500GB SATA SSD, Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster tpr pedals, jet seat, BenQ SW2500PT, Oculus rift S

Hasn’t been an issue since the first week. Either a firmware update fixed it or something else changed, but no issues now!

Same problem here.

Most of the time when i enter the Oculus or DCS main menu in VR all is good. 6 DOF.

Then when i eventually jump in a plane, i press fly and within 2 seconds suddenly it goes to 3 DOF.

When i exit and go back to the main menu the problem stays.

Freakin annoying, when you do not have much time to play and when you find some free time your busy figuring this crap out for hours without any improvement.

Also being in the Oculus home in VR im experiencing many times the VR hands are stuck on the ground.

Rebooting the Oculus services does help for that problem.

Didnt had any of this when i got my rift s when it came out.

Already tried more lighting the room, repairing the software, fully reinstalling the software, reconnecting the cables, trying differend USB ports and more.

All without solving the damn issue.

Very annoying

Edited by RvL

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

Playing VR since ~50 hours.

Never had that problem, yesterday evening it occoured for the first time.

i forst thought that I hit a wrong btton in DCS, but as it was also there in the Cliff House after I left DCS, it seems clear that It does not have to do anything with DCS.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

• 3 weeks later...

Been dealing with this issue now for weeks.

Yesterday i have been busy again trying to solve the problem.

Being in the Oculus menu, most of the time i only had 3dof with locked hand controllers stuck on the ground.

Occasionally i did had 6dof with normal working hand controllers for just a small amount of time before the problem occured again.

Very frustrating.

After trying different usb 3.0 ports again it did seem to have restored the 6dof and im able to use my hand controllers normally again.

Hopefully it will continue to work like it should do.

Kinda affraid when im going to startup today the problem will occur again.

But till now it seems like the usb ports are somehow causing a problem.

Fingers crossed

( * i already unchecked the usb power saving box some weeks ago )

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

Been dealing with this issue now for weeks.

Yesterday i have been busy again trying to solve the problem.

Being in the Oculus menu, most of the time i only had 3dof with locked hand controllers stuck on the ground.

Occasionally i did had 6dof with normal working hand controllers for just a small amount of time before the problem occured again.

Very frustrating.

After trying different usb 3.0 ports again it did seem to have restored the 6dof and im able to use my hand controllers normally again.

Hopefully it will continue to work like it should do.

Kinda affraid when im going to startup today the problem will occur again.

But till now it seems like the usb ports are somehow causing a problem.

Fingers crossed

( * i already unchecked the usb power saving box some weeks ago )

Have you kept the oculus software and your device firmware up to date? Maybe try the public test channel (beta). I haven’t had the problem for a while now, it appears to have been rectified in firmware somewhere along the line.

Yes im using the public test updates. Past couple of weeks i've done some uninstalling and reinstalling the software testing if there would be a difference between the public test updates and the normal ones.

Unfortunately it didnt for me