You and your IPD...

Harlikwin

Just as heads up.

Android (and presumably apple too) have several apps to determine your IPD using a standard size reference (credit card/gift card etc). Super easy/accurate way to figure out your IPD for 4 bucks. (there is a free Acer app, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with only one phone).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just as heads up.

Android (and presumably apple too) have several apps to determine your IPD using a standard size reference (credit card/gift card etc). Super easy/accurate way to figure out your IPD for 4 bucks. (there is a free Acer app, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with only one phone).

Upload a picture of your face and a credit card number showing to the internet ? What could possibly go wrong..... ? :doh:

There are various websites that offer similar service for free. Just think very carefully about what personal details are visible on the card you are holding in front of your face, or it may cost you a lot more than $4 if the app / website is not what it seems....

Edited by IanHx2

The apps are rather inaccurate. If you cant get a reading from an optometrist, just stand with your face 8-10 inches in front of a mirror and measure IPD with a scale. Your accuracy will be a lot better than those mobile apps.

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

Well I did both the mirror and the app and got 2 differnet numbers. As for the card any standard card will do, i used my shopping reward card, i guess they can steal that :)

Im sure an actual optometrist is best, but some apparently womt give you the number as you might be able to buy glasses from somewhere else. I dont wear glasses so i dont have one, but it sounds plausible.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Very easy to measure with just a ruler. Stay in front of mirror, close one eye, position a ruler under the other (opened) eye so that a zero mark just at its center. Now close it, and open the other eye - read the measurement.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

9Yup did it that way and the app way. I mean thats all the app really does. Take photo with a standard, then use that to scale the pic then measure between 2 points. With the ruler method you are limited by "human factors" did you move the ruler 1mm? Did you see the right number? Etc. Interestingly the app number and my dcs ipd number are the same. While my ruler number is closer to my "rift ipd", though at a guess that could well be off for calibration reasons.

Also the acer app uses a qr code to set the measurement not a CC but you need 2 phones.

Go to an optician and have it done proper....

Why? Is the ipd number you see on a rift actaully accurate (i personally doubt it). And you cant adjust the rift S or rverb...

Why? Is the ipd number you see on a rift actaully accurate (i personally doubt it). And you cant adjust the rift S or rverb...

Some have different L and R IPD. You can still measure it DIY I guess. Regardless, it's a moot point since no VR HMD supports it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I doesnt matter what the actual measurement is, adjust to get best picture, surely?

Right, and stop calling me Shirley. /* you know I had to do it LOL */

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I doesnt matter what the actual measurement is, adjust to get best picture, surely?

In case of VR headsets without mechanical IPD adjustment, it could be a real deal breaker if you are out of their "sweet spot". And a lot of people are:

IPDRanges8-RU.png

Data Suggests Oculus Rift S IPD Range ‘Best’ For Just Half Of Adults

The data shows Quest’s mechanical IPD adjustment makes it “best” for 99% of men and 93% of women, but the fixed lenses of Rift S are “best” for just 46% of men and 43% of women.

I have an IPD of about 59 mm. I don't think any sort of software adjustment can help me use Oculus Rift S. Maybe if they start selling women / child sized units...

I did this with a $30.00 pair of digital calipers that I already had, and my bathroom mirror to make sure the tips were centered on my pupils. A lot more accurate, and I didn't even have to load more spyware on my phone. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yes, it has - but:

Oculus Rift S uses two lenses that are set about 64mm apart, perfect for a perfectly average person. Everyone who fits Cinderella’s shoe will get a perfect experience, anyone close will deal with minor eyestrain problems that impact their perception of VR at a mostly subconscious level. Everyone else is screwed, including me. Imagery is hard to fuse, details are blurry, distortion is wrong, mismatched pupil swim screws up VOR, and everything is at the wrong scale. “Software IPD adjustment” can solve that last bit, but not much else – it adjusts a single variable that happens to be related to IPD, but is not comparable in any way to an actual IPD adjustment mechanism .

As a guy who actually knows something about optics, I would never recommend to purchase software or apps to measure your IPD. It is pointless and in fact taking a photo of your face with a standard measure such as a credit card is definitely not reliable. They just take your 2 bucks for the app. The absolutely best way at home is to do it with a mirror and a ruler/caliper, you just need to do it according to the instructions and verify by repetition. Optometrist is best but essentially he does the same thing, only without the mirror.

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

Doesn't the Rift S have a software ipd setting option? Mine iscaroubd 70. So pretty kmporrant fir me.

Oh boy. I would think that would me the software adjust too tough. You should definitely get it from a place that allows returns, no questions asked.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Exactly. With Rift my IPD was 63.5 mm. Whether that was my true IPD or not, it gave me the best calibration picture with the green cross.

And that is what counts.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I found my actual IPD to be very useful when setting the "Force IPD" number in DCS. I set it to 70mm, which is my actual IPD, and everything looks exactly like what I'm used to seeing in real cockpits.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Doesn't the Rift S have a software ipd setting option? Mine iscaroubd 70. So pretty kmporrant fir me.

Software IPD setting is something different than adjusting distance between lenses mechanically (the confusion comes from terminology)

The trouble with most VR lenses is that they have a sweet spot, eg. if you look into lens, the further away the pupil is from centre of the lens the worse image quality will get (simplifying). You want your pupils to be lined up with centre of the lens, spot on. That's achieved by moving lenses away from each other or towards each other to accommodate for wide/narrow faces.

Headset w/o mechanical adjustment need to have bigger sweet spot and may not work in extreme cases, as your pupils will not look into sweet spot.

IPD adjustment in software effectively changes the scale of the world (simplifying this as well and it's too much to type to explain why). It has absolutely nothing to do with mechanical lens distance adjustments I've described above, except that your IPD (distance between pupils) affects how "big" you see the world in VR - if there is a mismatch, the world may seem too small (tilt shift effect) or too big. But this does not affect image clarity.

In short, Rift-S software IPD setting won't help.

Edited by mdee

I found my actual IPD to be very useful when setting the "Force IPD" number in DCS. I set it to 70mm, which is my actual IPD, and everything looks exactly like what I'm used to seeing in real cockpits.

^ This. The accurate perception of scale using this option is a huge improvement.

Well thanks all for your comments about software ipd settings. That bassicly means that the Rift S is no go for me with my ipd of 70. Must say it is a weird choice for Oculus to make.

Its not. You are just way outside the norm. The Rift will work for like 90% of people. Which is Occulus new strategy. Most people aren't gonna drop 600 or 1k on a VR headset, they found this out with the CV1. The S is priced low, which means they had to make a ton of tradeoffs (like no IPD adjustment). Also most people aren't running 2080ti's, so they chose a performance metric that would work (lets say it was a 1060). This enables them to reach the largest part of the market, and if you like VR you will then spend more money on better headset, which I bet they have coming down the road, or maybe not since they don't think most people will spend the big bucks. Sadly you are not their target demographic, in fact sims/simmers in general are not their target demographic, and from their standpoint the RiftS is more than good enough for Average Joe Gamer.

Edited by Harlikwin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, bringing back this conversation, I used to have my OG Rift dialed at 65 with the physical slider, now on the Rift S with the “virtual” IPD setting set at the same value the cockpits look a bit smaller.

Having been on GA aircraft cockpits that are really small, I was a bit suspicious about, for example, the size of MiG 15’s cockpit with my OG Rift, but now I’m not really sure which one of the Rifts is giving me the right world scale.

Btw I left DCS’ IPD setting at its default value.

Thanks

In case of VR headsets without mechanical IPD adjustment, it could be a real deal breaker if you are out of their "sweet spot". And a lot of people are:

IPDRanges8-RU.png

Data Suggests Oculus Rift S IPD Range ‘Best’ For Just Half Of Adults

I have an IPD of about 59 mm. I don't think any sort of software adjustment can help me use Oculus Rift S. Maybe if they start selling women / child sized units...

I fall right in the middle of the sweet spot for the Rift S. 63mm measured by my optometrist.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64