Real Simulator FSSB R3 Lightning

ChuckJäger

Does anyone have any info on how this works with DCS? Is it as good as the price might suggest? Looking for a solution to use with the Thrustmaster warthog stick...

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

I got the FSSB R3 non lightning. It works perfect in DCS BUT, you will have to learn from scratch how you fly your aircraft. Your stick is not moving anymore. So it's not about the movement but about the pressure you apply to the stick. And that changes a lot of things. Took me weeks before I was able to fly again decently.

It works really well and very precise, although I don’t think it is for everybody. People either hate it or completely love the thing after first use, and there is some learning curve since there is barely any moving mechanics. (I currently own FSSB, 2 Warthog bases, VKB GFII and Virpil WarBRD bases)

Pros:

Minimal input lag compared to spring-based sticks since force sense is instantaneous. This gives you the feeling of tight control which is tough to explain.

Precision, I can do level turn, ground attack better than spring-based sticks.

No throw so it fits just about anywhere.

Ability to change sensitivity or profile on-the-fly.

Cons:

Expensive.

Harder to do AAR or Harrier VT landing since it is difficult to input small amount of force near the center.

Somewhat fragile and needs to be pampered

Not compatible with stick extension.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I've written about my experiences with the FSSB R3 here:

Pasted here for convenience:

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you fly. For modern fly-by-wire aircraft, it feels pretty great because the aircraft has flight computers that will smooth out your inputs. You no longer have to wrestle with springs and cams not returning the stick to exact center, and you get a lot of precision around the center point (no more having to break the static friction force before the joystick moves).

For WWI and WWII aircraft though, because they're a lot more "jittery" in comparison and require a higher amount of stick movement to move, it can get pretty tiresome. You can lower the force sensing amount to compensate, but it does get pretty tiring having to constantly put force on the stick in order to get your guns on target. Even then, because the force sensors are very sensitive and accurate, it will pick up any difference in the amount of force that you're applying, so there will always be some jitter present. This translates to jitter when you're trying to place the gun sights on a target, which can be really annoying.

So if you only fly modern aircraft, I'd recommend it over spring-based joysticks. If you like WWI, WWII, and non-fly-by-wire aircraft, you're probably better served by a spring-based stick.

It feels pretty good with the A-10C, especially since the gun is stabilized with PAC 1.

I will say though that if you're really on the fence about it, you're probably going to be happier picking up some other gear first. A force sensing base does make a noticeable difference with control accuracy, especially when doing things that need finesse like air-to-air refueling, but it also has its drawbacks. The price to value ratio is also way off, so you should be pretty confident that you'll enjoy using one before picking it up (not sure if RealSimulator accepts returns, but it ships from Spain). Also keep in mind that you'll need a stick to go with the base, so if you don't have a Warthog stick already, you'll have to buy one. I got mine direct from Guillemot without the Warthog base, and I suspect it's a refurbished unit because it arrived with a dent on the ring that surrounds the trim hat. I wouldn't recommend using a MongoosT-50CM with the base though; with the forces involved, the plastic noticeably bends and creaks with that stick, and I'm concerned that over time the plastic will fail.

Admittedly, deciding if you'd like a force sensing base is hard if you've never used one before. What sealed the deal for me was when I couldn't get my MCG Pro with the extension to return to center accurately when the dry clutches were engaged. If I loosened the dry clutches to the point where the stick centered accurately, it felt too much like a spring joystick, and if I tightened them up to the point where it was dampened to my liking, it couldn't pull itself back to dead center (I was using #50 + #20 springs with the soft center cam). This really killed it for me with aircraft that have flight computers that will attempt to keep your attitude once the stick is let go of, because I found myself constantly trimming to compensate for the stick never returning to true dead center.

• Like 1

I converted my Cougar with FSSB 3 and the throttle with TUSB in the recent past. I have to say the transition took quite a while and I hated it at first. Now that I'm used to it it's pretty good. However, after flying for a while my arm can get pretty tired from holding stick forces, even at minimum force sensitivity. I have strong arms from windsurfing and paddleboarding in surf, but holding a constant 4-5lbs minimum for hours gets pretty straining, esp in any kind of heavy maneuvering, like dogfighting. The sensitivity and feel can't be beat though. It's a pretty heavy spend, I would think about it carefully unless you have money to burn. If anything else in your system is not enthusiast level, probably better off upgrading everything else first before considering this.

• 3 months later...

Hoping this thread is still alive and maybe my two cents will help someone. I'm new here but have been messing around with flight sims since the days of Falcon 3.0, and I have a lot of hours in the DCS A-10C, which I flew with the Thrustmaster Warthog setup. Thinking about the upcoming DCS F-16, I decided I wanted to try the FSSB R3 Lighting.

In a word, "WOW!" I feel like I'm controlling the plane with the Force, or mind control or something. It was instantly intuitive and took me about five seconds to realize I could never go back to the Thrustmaster. I always sucked at AAF, and with the FSSB I was able o hook up easily right away.

I also tried a VirPil T50 CM2, but I prefer the force sensing joystick. I'll keep the VirPil for WWII Warbirds, but for modern jets I am in love with the FSSB. And the company service was great. I highly recommend the FSSB to anyone willing to try it out.

Just wait til you see the newest Tool app and firmware ;)

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I also tried a VirPil T50 CM2' date=' but I prefer the force sensing joystick. I'll keep the VirPil for WWII Warbirds, but for modern jets I am in love with the FSSB. And the company service was great. I highly recommend the FSSB to anyone willing to try it out.[/quote']

Completely agree. I currently own a Virpil T50 (center mount) and a FSSB R3 (side stick). I use the T50 for the majority of my flying in DCS, IL2 and Rise of Flight....the FSSB side stick is for BMS and now the upcoming F16 module. I also use it for Elite Dangerous occasionally as well.

I've got a lot of hotas already, but just recently decided to give the Realsimulator FSSB R3 L a whirl anyhow, mainly due to the Falcon module coming so soon. Still figuring it out, but it's fantastic so far as an F16 type stick goes. The only similar stick I have is the X65F, and it's miles ahead of that so far as I can tell with about 3 hours total using it thus far. I was lucky and found my R3 used, very little time on it, probably just a handful of hours from a player who couldn't get used to it for a WW2 online MMO sim.

You may want to PM Deano87, he gave me the initial advice and info regarding the R3 L/Realsim, and he and many he flies with have been using this stick for much, much longer than I have, and can give you a better run down on what to expect. IMO so far as getting the most realistic hotas setup for the upcoming Falcon module here with DCS, it's the best option for the stick. I'm going to use one of my modded Cougar F16 throttles with a usb adaptor for my throttle. the R3 L for the stick, and probably my Slaw pedals for my F16 hotas setup myself.

Anyhow, PM Deano87 or search his user name and look at some of the threads where he's posted info here already, that's your best bet IMO.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

• 1 month later...

Haven't used my FSSB R3 Warthog in about four years now and the recent release of the Viper has rekindled my interest.

Will the new F16SGRH grip work ok with my original R3 base, i understand that i will not get all the functionality however i'm only really interested in using the default F-16 assignments.

I'm reading that the new F16SGRH uses bluetooth and not the wired USB connector ??.... is this a reliable ??.

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

Real Simulator FSSB R3 Lightning

Haven't used my FSSB R3 Warthog in about four years now and the recent release of the Viper has rekindled my interest.

Will the new F16SGRH grip work ok with my original R3 base, i understand that i will not get all the functionality however i'm only really interested in using the default F-16 assignments.

I'm reading that the new F16SGRH uses bluetooth and not the wired USB connector ??.... is this a reliable ??.

The F-16SGRH works with everything in bluetooth mode, even with a plain rod since it also has its own X Y Z axis inputs.

The wireless mode depends on how stable your bluetooth connection is. In my case I have to use a dongle (CSR 4.0, currently $7 on Amazon) as my motherboard’s BT signal isn’t good and would get disconnected easily. With that dongle it’s been rock solid no matter what I do.

With wireless mode you will get full functionality from the stick (such as memory slot dial, etc.), and just use your FSSB R3 for axis inputs and it will be the same as the wired mode on the newer R3L. In DCS, you’ll bind axis in FSSB column and button input in F-16SGRH column since they’re treated as separate devices in wireless mode.

Edited by Supmua

Ok thanks.

I don't think my motherboard (ASUS Z370-F) even has bluetooth, no mention of it in the manual so will definitely have to purchase a BLE 4 dongle.

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

I’ve recently purchased the FSSB R3 Lightening and have been using it as a stand alone with my Warthog grip.

I really like it, but it takes some time to get used to the finesse needed by this force sensing base, rather than the way I used the original Warthog base. :-)

The out of the box force settings were too heavy for me, but the configurator allows you to easily change this.

I lowered the force settings for pitch and roll and used the NASA pitch and roll settings to make pitching forward and pulling right easier and it makes quite a difference to using it for longer periods of flight use.

It it really fantastic with the new F-16 module and feels incredibly precise and direct.

I have used it with the F18 and was surprised how the Hornet flight model felt completely different to controlling the F-16. “Who knew? “ :-)

The Hornet seems to wallow back and forward a bit if I apply pitch, especially downward pitch.

This is when using the current settings as for the Viper.

To fix this I have set up a new memory slot configuration for the Hornet and have been playing around with the force settings and NASA Pitch settings to get a good smooth result for the Hornet as I have for the Viper.

I will keep playing with it and post my settings if I feel I’ve got it right.

Has anybody got a good setup working for the Hornet that you are willing to share?

I suppose also for the F-14 for that matter.

Thanks in advance....

Cheers Boomer

I’ve recently purchased the FSSB R3 Lightening and have been using it as a stand alone with my Warthog grip.

I really like it, but it takes some time to get used to the finesse needed by this force sensing base, rather than the way I used the original Warthog base. :-)

The out of the box force settings were too heavy for me, but the configurator allows you to easily change this.

I lowered the force settings for pitch and roll and used the NASA pitch and roll settings to make pitching forward and pulling right easier and it makes quite a difference to using it for longer periods of flight use.

It it really fantastic with the new F-16 module and feels incredibly precise and direct.

I have used it with the F18 and was surprised how the Hornet flight model felt completely different to controlling the F-16. “Who knew? “ :-)

The Hornet seems to wallow back and forward a bit if I apply pitch, especially downward pitch.

This is when using the current settings as for the Viper.

To fix this I have set up a new memory slot configuration for the Hornet and have been playing around with the force settings and NASA Pitch settings to get a good smooth result for the Hornet as I have for the Viper.

I will keep playing with it and post my settings if I feel I’ve got it right.

Has anybody got a good setup working for the Hornet that you are willing to share?

I suppose also for the F-14 for that matter.

Thanks in advance....

Cheers Boomer

Use the one in slot 2.

FSSB3%2016_zps7dfndtvs.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I haven't flown it in a while but the heavier pitch was to get rid of pitch oscillation. It was very hard to dial in for trapping. If it's too heavy try the current one loaded.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I haven't flown it in a while but the heavier pitch was to get rid of pitch oscillation. It was very hard to dial in for trapping. If it's too heavy try the current one loaded.

Hi Wicked,

Thanks again for sharing that info.

I found the ~6lb pitch setting close to what I need for the Hornet, I still have to dial in some NASA pitch percentage numbers to get it smooth for trapping. You want the jet very stable for the return to the boat. :-)

Cheers Boomer

Hi Wicked,

Thanks again for sharing that info.

I found the ~6lb pitch setting close to what I need for the Hornet, I still have to dial in some NASA pitch percentage numbers to get it smooth for trapping. You want the jet very stable for the return to the boat. :-)

Cheers Boomer

Yep, the hardest for me to dial in was trapping. I was just getting back to normal form when the Viper was released lol. Haven't touched the Hornet since.

I had the Hornet pretty locked down. It has a tendency to "bounce" is the best way I can describe it. with the Viper it's the exact opposite. I have it pretty twitchy and had to put a negative curve on the roll.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Wow, wasn’t expecting that. I’ve read that they require a lot of force to use, you think it’ll pair well with a Monstertech desk mounted setup?

I’m currently using my Virpil T-50 base center mounted, which I’m pretty sure is sacrilege

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Does anyone know how to order one of these and/or how much these cost?

I am selling an used one at a good price bought only 2 months ago, contact me if you are interested in.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png