Carrier comms - Mini Updates

oldcrusty

So why doesn’t ED offer a server license for the carrier module? Obviously at a premium price, once installed on the server everyone who joins the server can use it.

Individuals can buy the module in the normal way for personal use as well.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but that guy isn't exactly buying the Carrier module either. So he will continue with the A-10 instead of getting hyped for carrier ops. Or he feels the need for the Tomcat or the Hornet and buys into the whole experience.

There usually is a market for something or there isn't. I'd love to see a solution to carrier ops light combined with the new module, but I can't see how? Have cheaper "players" see empty ocean? Oh, wait, I have an idea. ED could do this like the major labels, just launch a new game titled "NAVY Carrier Ops" based on DCS as a separate game. Include the finished Hornet with some more assets and features together with the F-14 special version and the new carrier, for a full game price and fully incompatible with DCS World?

I'd be interested in a full price module that stops you from posting.

Because the guy who spent 0 bucks on DCS and then, after some coaxing, got the A-10 for $20 on a Steam sale has no need for a carrier.

If you can't connect the dots by now, I suggest you go back and actually read the argument before you try to counter it.

So, what would be the incentive for that guy to buy the more expensive modules?

Like the natural thing would be something like "hey hornets are cool - lets get a hornet"

Instead you get "Hey hornets are cool, but to get the hornet experience buying the hornet is not enough, I would have also buy the carrier"

I would argue that this kind of monetization actively drives away people

So why doesn’t ED offer a server license for the carrier module? Obviously at a premium price, once installed on the server everyone who joins the server can use it.

Individuals can buy the module in the normal way for personal use as well.

This sounds like a reasonable solution but unfortunately it cannot be implemented because you did not list all the stuff you bought from ED over the years nor sufficiently lick the boot.

Because where does it end.

I've got to pay $40 per plane and then $60 for the map and the map assets so I don't have to shoot at BMP-2s if I want to play WW2

I now need to pay for an aircraft carrier module I won't use just because I want some proper ATC and no other part of it.

By your argument why shouldn't ED just charge us for every content addition to the game full stop? Why should we get anything for free from this point on?

Ehm, we talk about detailed Carrier control, with marshal, ATC and LSO. If you fly WW II you won't have a Nimitz class carrier around...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Ehm, we talk about detailed Carrier control, with marshal, ATC and LSO. If you fly WW II you won't have a Nimitz class carrier around...

I was using WW2 as a different example of the same issue and you've misunderstood what I was trying to say entirely.

Please make sure you understand what I write before you try to be smart with your reply.

I don't CARE about the bells and whistlses of the carrier module. I just want to be able to have proper ATC in my flight sim without having to pay a premium.

/да бойз/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What he is saying is in order to get a naval experience he would basicly have to buy a plane and an asset aswell, so he compares it to the ww2 experience.

Imho this is a fair comparision due to the overmonetization of dcs ww2.

But you have SRS for comms and LSO mod, Didnt Sunstag get the animated deck crew working for free in the mod section?

Really? Cause people said the exact same things when ED dared to charge for WW2 assets..

Which is now not used by multiplayer servers that see any kind of traffic and isn't used by the people who don't play much singleplayer. Which means, those people at least, won't even bother with this carrier module.

Such a waste of good work to lock people out of servers if they don't have the module. The one's who enjoy multiplayer, unless they host their own private sessions with few people (and few, if they are also fond of MP, means 1 or 2 people) and exclude some of their friends, won't be enjoying the module to it's fullest if they manage to use it at all. I'm not saying it should be free, simply not restrictive.

Also I don't get why the ATC part isn't considered a core item even though it touches every single carrier capable aircraft (and yes I am perfectly aware there is only two right now but considering they're very popular modules and that more will be coming means it has it's importance). I mean come on the ATC on the stennis isn't even capable of giving a proper BRC why won't this be ported to other carriers ???

Anyways, quite dissapointed by this decision because this new and improved carrier ATC won't be standardized and because it'll lock people out of servers meaning it won't see much use outside of singleplayer. I will not buying the carrier module because I play a lot of multiplayer (especially since the tomcat), on a private server with the VEAF or on bigger public servers, which certainly won't be using the carrier module as to not exclude anyone meaning it'll be useless. And not just for me, I'm no isolated case.

Rex

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

because I wont use it. i'm using the things that i already chose to spend money on.

That’s fine, just don’t complain that you can’t join people’s servers who did buy it. I’m quite sure the group of people like yourself who don’t want it will create their own servers without it.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

The controllers have nothing to do with the full experience. I know guys who flew the A-10 with a Logitech 3d pro and a rigged up cheapo open source head tracking.

He still gets the full experience of the module regardless of his controls. You don't need a £3000 setup to get the full experience and I'm back onto my point of elitism in the community.

He could have just used the Su-25. I suppose you think he deserves the full experience with every map included for free. :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, and that same guy has no joystick, rudder pedals, throttle...

Give me a break. :doh:

A paying customer could have bought Combined Arms only and uses a keyboard and mouse because he/she does not have a HOTAS setup and/or uninterested in flying.

Currently

1) A person can download and install DCS world with the ability fly the TF-51D and/or the Su-25T in the Caucasus Map in Single Player.

2) A person can download and install DCS world with the ability fly the TF-51D and/or the Su-25T in the Caucasus Map in Multiplayer in the arena with all other Aircraft, Helicopters and, Combined Arms.

3) A person can download and install DCS world without the ability fly the TF-51D and/or the Su-25T in the Caucasus Map in Multiplayer in the arena with none of the other Aircraft, Helicopters and, Combined Arms if WWII Assets are included in the Caucasus arena.

Purposed

1) A person can download and install DCS world without the ability fly the TF-51D and/or the Su-25T in the Caucasus Map in Multiplayer in the arena with none of the other Aircraft, Helicopters and, Combined Arms if WWII Assets and /or Nimitz Class Carrier are included in the Caucasus arena.

Question for EDSA

1) Will the animated deck crew will be as efficiently synchronized as clouds are in Multiplayer between clients?

2) Will the the improper dimensions of the Stennis modelling errors be corrected since this is the Carrier to use if not buying the Nimitz Class Module?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

That’s fine, just don’t complain that you can’t join people’s servers who did buy it. I’m quite sure the group of people like yourself who don’t want it will create their own servers without it.

Thats wishfull thinking at best.

Looking at the reactions outside of this forum it looks like none of the bigger servers will implement the carrier, due to most of the mp community being understandably unwilling to pay for core features.

If you have a small community of 100 dudes, and 30% would buy the carrier, you would lose 70% of your group so yea your server wont have it :doh:

Yeah, but that guy isn't exactly buying the Carrier module either.

Exactly. That's the whole point.

His not buying it means that there is less of a reason for me to buy it. His not buying it means that I can't host missions with it, or I won't be able to bring him along. My not hosting missions with it means that everyone else on my server has less of a reason to buy it. Alternatively, I do get it and use it in the missions I host, and get fewer people to fly with me, meaning there's less reason for them to stick around and listen to me sing the praises of [latest module], enticing them to buy it just shut me up.

Either way, the end result is the same: ED does not get paid for their work, sell fewer modules, and get fewer customers.

He's not buying the carrier module because ha has no need for it. His not owning means I don't need it. My not owning it means lots of other people don't need it. None of them owning it means that the next new guy who comes along will hear “nah, you don't need it.” All that because of the perverse incentive of the all-or-nothing MP requirement.

Without that requirement, I would have an incentive to run it on my server. This would give people who like carrier ops an incentive too. Mine and their having it would give us an incentive to tell the new guy “you know what, if you like the A-10, you'd really like this complex stuff…” and over time, from all our talking it up, more and more people would get it, eventually possibly even the new guy. And the next new guy after him. And the next one…

So, what would be the incentive for that guy to buy the more expensive modules? Like the natural thing would be something like "hey hornets are cool - lets get a hornet"

Instead you get "Hey hornets are cool, but to get the hornet experience buying the hornet is not enough, I would have also buy the carrier"

I would argue that this kind of monetization actively drives away people

Bingo.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

$500 thrustmaster warthog

$400 mfg rudder pedals

$150 TrackIR

$600 VR system

$300 video card

$300 CPU

$100 motherboard

$500 monitor

"$40 for complete carrier operations which includes ATC is just too much and will split the multiplayer community, and I will boycott ED, even though I already purchased the Hornet and want to use that module to its fullest extent!!!11"

:doh: :huh:

You guys are unbelievable. I have a hard time believing that you can't afford $40 when you've already spent hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars already.

This isn't about affording. Read what people are writing and think before you embarass yourself like that. I am one of the dudes that wants to buy this, but not if it's not implemented on any of the servers I frequent.

Affording it is one thing and not the issue. Buying something that is an utter waste is another thing and quite stupid. I wouldn't mind tossing them a twenty doing nothing if that means they bring this so I can actually use it.

The "you're too poor so suck it" argument doesn't cut it here. Even if it wasn't reprehensible to walk through life like that. And again, I am saying this having spent more than you on this hobby. Money is not the issue.

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

Thats wishfull thinking at best.

Looking at the reactions outside of this forum it looks like none of the bigger servers will implement the carrier, due to most of the mp community being understandably unwilling to pay for core features.

If you have a small community of 100 dudes, and 30% would buy the carrier, you would lose 70% of your group so yea your server wont have it :doh:

The 70 percent can still play the game on their own servers without the carrier

How are they going to lose money by charging for their work?!?

Its nothing to do with being charged for work thats not the issue, What he does not understand is, You cant join join servers with this carrier module or WW2 assets packs thats all the problem is, ED need to find a way to solve that issue.

Its nothing to do with being charged for work thats not the issue, What he does not understand is, You cant join join servers with this carrier module or WW2 assets packs thats all the problem is, ED need to find a way to solve that issue.

I’ll concede that, but making it free is not the answer either.

The 70 percent can still play the game on their own servers without the carrier

What makes you think that there would be more active servers using this dlc than there are using the ww2 asset pack?