How to make Helicopters Hover in ME?

Hi,

How does one make a chopper hover in mid-air above a point without moving in the Mission Editor? I couldn't find a hover option. But I'm thinking it's possible because I see the SAR choppers hovering on standby in those carrier landing tutorials.

Cheers

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Set the speed between two waypoints to 1kt - that usually does the trick!

Thanks will try it :)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

• 1 year later...

so , since this was a trick and it's not working anymore (the ai chopper will return to the nearest base)

the advanced wpt "orbit" condition is not working either.

there is no real "hover" option for ai choppers to hover.

My custom made aircraft skins and other content for DCS World!

WIN 10  / 64Gb RAM DDR4 @ 4000mhz / i9-10900KF @ 5.3ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 3090 RTX / SSD Samsung EVO 970 / VIRPIL / MFG Crosswind / Pimax 5k+ 

You should ask Squirrel. He managed to have a Kiowa hover near some power lines in his Larkin campaign

Reading your OP though.. I'm not sure to what carrier landing missions you refer, but normally a carrier should be moving during aircraft operations (mainly for take-off conditions), hence the SAR chopper would also be moving.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

There should be a "hold" option available under advanced way point actions under the "perform task" sub menu. You can set the parameters for the action in that window as well. Make sure the Time is more option is set to the mission start time. The helicopter should hold position at the assigned way point and set altitude of that way point.

I can test it later tonight and report back. Currently at work.

• 11 months later...

The way I use is like that :

I spawn the helicopter near the carrier where I want it to be (also specific altitude), I make sure it's initial speed is 0 knots, after that I add a waypoint one meter in front of the helicopter, and for this waypoint I uncheck the GS box, and I check the Fix Time box, then I set the ETA for 12 hours after the mission start time ..

That way the helicopter will hover near the carrier for obviously enough time.