Perfect Support

MrReynolds

Too Long Won't Read: Throttle died - replaced within a week.

I'm a typical forumite - quick to moan and complain but rather quiet on the positive. So let's be a bit positive for once!

We all know the X-56 throttle is rather stiff. I guess mine's stiffer than most!

Slowing down after entering the groove and .........POP - something snapped.

I thought at first it was just the button holding the two halves of the throttle together but no. Shall we call it a rather catastrophic failure?

i0Jbceg5ISUGQvlDuIIWTpfopakeqY9TxeUl51SleCvdd9VtzYfq6-MQSuvsX2O8VlM26ntpUcm2qYgOJ17Z6dX2SpoVI1bo9RvqfXuQvbY765bV1apb3gy6xUPPFsRww5yo2HLTdWmXyRR1mD6WUQqDN95ISq28I2vVoPGv6CtzZnGLthMOgmXZlEuHrYnz_1I3DFelTnPqMDGUrmuvOCOM3mGwe_WdKjT5QI2ANnyWKAEjOTAemm5kcbdt2nM75z8lJJFkP6fVWlYJ_VZ9cJL0yM_GdWwwkt2JZQ-bA3_o2bupH2eIM5JD2xUjwM05MyawnTy9eKZJo4KAz7kjDMiSpqFxXWVY7SzKFh4jFIwJPPtTwMu-bfFydnZw8iDG0dZZ_7ddRWQDGeHZ3-s7qKli5_YtYGJreMZdfgPYUgPQkzV_2SeGzJOEOSAHUj34zikfIFgNfGk7rMMtqQ6rrpc6ae2VI_NHnAXeI-yO3hRZ76WBOPaBnXrS3vH0Xmm6hEsOaa4Vn9GxWQ60AtI4oo2CS9a60Xw0wsBkxLrhR9K0Wb-iqN8vR7PF77xVfDurQb6nJGB3E6-V_k-Bi9VbTYjWjAo6mDSxDWgZ88Ngb9dx_RzmqceIuE_nwasDRcL31sSpBrBvTRDpq9xS4V3Y8lxgKJVCw23D=w1461-h1947-no

No worries - I've got a Warthog throttle hanging around. I'll use that for now.

Let's contact support.

This was a Friday night. I PM'd LOGIRich, and then messaged Logitech.

Over the weekend Rich had replied - offering to help out if possible. This was a relief as I'm sure we've all been on the long end of poor customer support.

By Tuesday evening Logitech themselves had replied - saying the RMA had been okay'd.

Friday evening - Boom. I've missed the UPS delivery but all's well. Just picked it up and everything's up and running.

EVEN GOT A COMPLETE SET REPLACEMENT....not just the throttle.

So.

Thoughts on the X-56 after going back to Warthog for a week:

- Jeez the plastic is SO poor compared to the Warthog. Honestly. Logitech make a premium product and I'll buy it.

- Oooh, the warthog throttle action is so smooth (refueling was 100x easier)

- Ah....the mode switch is better on the Warthog (a thumb button as opposed to having to flick the switch on the box. Yeah, first World problems)!

- The switches are switches, not buttons

+ mmmmmmm. I miss the rotaries.

+mmmmmmmmmm actually I prefer the layout of the X-56! (I still use the Warthog for elite - the middle nipple as opposed to thumb seems better for lateral thrusters)

Back to being sensible!

+ The cursor stick is WAY more responsive on the X-56

+ The programming software, although not as good as I would like, saves your key commands. Being able to press the button on the stick which takes you to the command and then being able to choose from a list is rather good. I still haven't remembered the warthog button names. I used and loved Foxxy back in the day, but TARGET is pretty basic and I never did bother learning scripting.

- Talking about programs, sequences work better with TARGET.

On the whole - I would take the 56's throttle.

Warthog vs X-56 system? Depends if you're willing to save those "few" more pennies. Probably Warthog for the materials and smoothness.

The new throttle is still REALLY stiff. REALLY. Yep. Really.

Yes I've dialled the tightness up and down. I thought maybe the one that went Badda Boom was a particularly stiff bugger. Nope. The new one is just as stiff.

So. Anyone perusing the forums I can vouch thoroughly for Logitech's support.

Bravo to them and thanks. :joystick:

Edited by MrReynolds

Hi there,

About the x-56 incredibly stiff throttles -

This is because a cheap adhesive gel was injected into the moving parts underneath the shell, with no control as to how much was injected. As a gel when cold it is very stiff, and you will have to warm it up by massaging the throttles every time you want to use it. Not only before, but frequently during any session, because it only takes a few seconds to cool down again.

It also creates an uneven friction accross the range of movement as the gel balls up and rolls between the plastic surfaces, making the fine control required for air to air refueling or formation flight an eternal ideal to be pursued but never attained.

You can open the throttle controller and remove it, or at least as much of it as you can, its main super property is stickiness. I did this - the tightness screw is so poorly designed I'm not sure if it's almost entirely cosmetic (it does almost nothing at either extreme) and without any gel at all the throttles will simply flap around in the breeze.

It's a good controller other than that, the features are great with enough hats and rotaries for most of the DCS birds, the software is perfectly functional now, as opposed to completly useless a few years ago.

INTEL i7-7700k @ 4.8GHz / NVIDIA 1080-GTX 8Gb / 32Gb DDR4 @3200MHz / Win 10x64 Home

Nid oes bara ar ôl felly bydd gennych dost yn lle hynny.