Why do I keep buying new aircraft modules and only flying them once?

Yeti42

Am I sick? do I have an addiction? So far I've bought pretty much every module with the exception of the Christen Eagle II, C-101 Aviojet and the Fw 190 D-9 Dora. There's no way I can keep current on all of them... I only regularly fly 4 (F14B, A10C, FA18C and Huey). Why?

You are just a human, an collector-Hunter.

You like to collect things....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Am I sick? do I have an addiction? So far I've bought pretty much every module with the exception of the Christen Eagle II, C-101 Aviojet and the Fw 190 D-9 Dora. There's no way I can keep current on all of them... I only regularly fly 4 (F14B, A10C, FA18C and Huey). Why?

There might be different causes for your problem:

• you've got too much money
  • you have too much free time
  • a combination of the two above
  • or you are just addicted, as well as the rest of us here :D

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

We all have AAA and GAS (GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome) - nothing to worry about; it's normal around here. ;)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

OK, I have it... I'm going to create a dedicated GASAAA server, you'll need ALL modules installed or you get booted, I'm working on a client detect script for Rudder pedals, VR, Track IR and Warthog or VirPil HOTAS

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

You're missing out on the Christen Eagle II, C-101, and Dora. :D

Do you have the Hawk? :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simple, you’re as addicted as the rest of us. :thumbup:

I own every single module, I’ve flown about 4 of them. :huh::huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjf3Mi6zfjhAhVOUlAKHTKvDaEQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fme.me%2Fi%2Fyes-yes-9156367&psig=AOvVaw1ANB3Ob5mYZrM2sDne3lKM&ust=1556740749399392

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Am I sick?

I used to do that too (although some modules became my favourites), but stopped at some point, realizing the main reason I (and others) keep doing it is to compensate the lack of a game play, particularly - absence of a Dynamic Campaign. For me personally, the two modules would be enough - A-10C and F/A-18C if there would be a dynamic campaign. In DCS we tend to think the modules is what keeps us excited and busy, but no, I think it should be a game play. We miss a game play here a big time, and new modules is just a temporarily replacement. It is like a drug.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

@Nineline, thats cheating! haha

@Yeti, Next time you get the itch to buy one think about the C-101. It's a great little aircraft, but i really enjoy the light attack and counter insurgency stuff.

I have every aircraft module though and I don't try to stay up to speed on all of them. I find the key is to have your favorties that you master and slowly rotate through the others. Flying the different mission profiles and in different era's helps keep DCS fresh. It takes me about a week to get up to speed in a module and then the next time you come back around to it it goes quicker.

It's also good to be part of a squadron. Scheduled events will some times call for a few people to fly a more obscure airframe and if you volunteer for that spot and spend the week leading up to the mission practicing its a good way to get back into your dustier planes.

There might be different causes for your problem:

• you've got too much money
  • you have too much free time
  • a combination of the two above
  • or you are just addicted, as well as the rest of us here :D

or combinaton of all of that :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I used to do that too (although some modules became my favourites), but stopped at some point, realizing the main reason I (and others) keep doing it is to compensate the lack of a game play, particularly - absence of a Dynamic Campaign. For me personally, the two modules would be enough - A-10C and F/A-18C if there would be a dynamic campaign. In DCS we tend to think the modules is what keeps us excited and busy, but no, I think it should be a game play. We miss a game play here a big time, and new modules is just a temporarily replacement. It is like a drug.

Not much more to say. No module will compensate for the lack of true gameplay.

I used to build plastic models when I was a boy. I would do probably two every month, and at one point I had literally no more space in my room - even the ceiling was covered in aircraft hung from fishing line!

I wasn't a super-detailer, but every part was painted, even inside the aircraft; so I needed quite a few bottles of paint, putty, probably 3 different kinds of glue, hobby knives, etc., etc., etc.

I look today, and it seems like a mid-level plastic scale model costs about $30 shipped to your door. Let's say it's another $10 in consumables to complete the model, so $40.

And once the kit is complete, you can't actually *DO* anything with it except look at it. So you get the itch, and soon enough, another kit is purchased and under construction.

So let's figure $75 - $100 a month, and ending up with your house looking like a military museum, or hoarder house?

With DCS, and a little time-discipline, you can score each module for $30, and you get 100's of times more value out of them than any plastic model could ever give you.

And the good news is there's actually a finite limit to how much money you can spend, and the way ED maintains modules, they're good pretty much "forever"!

And like the other guy said, just the chance to sit in the cockpit of the best planes ever to fly and take them around airfield patterns and free flight is simply incredible. Fractions of a penny on the real experience (and it's good enough to keep me from the temptation of spending any more money on IRL lessons).

If you're sick, then I'm terminal...as of this sale I'm only missing the CEII and the Mig-21 (I'm just saving the 21 as "best for last")

Actually, for me, it really *IS* the different hyper-accurate modules and the contrasting experience each brings to life.

Add to that the historical progression of aircraft tech, or following a loose "training career" like yak/mig 15/l-39/mig-19/mig-21/su-33 and I really get a better sense of how each aircraft improved/expanded on the previous generation, etc.

Throw in huge helpings of humble pie served up by Gazelle or Me 109, and I'm more than challenged enough that the RTS limitations simply disappear for me.

Add in MP on top of that, and I can't really find anything to complain about.

I own all but 2. Still today, about 1/2 of them, I can't complete a successful take off. A couple have not even been fired up. I'm simply an idiot, and addicted to supporting DCS. Maybe when I can get the Cobra, I will achieve adulthood.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig

• ED Team

Well, luckily the team in charge of the Dynamic Campaign is hard at it...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Ah ah! This thread is just brilliant! Although it doesn't address a much worse set of people that buys modules and just even don't install them! Forget about flying them even once!

You think no one can be stupid/crazy enough to do that?

Here are the modules for which I got a licence that I never even activated: F18, Harrier, Mig-15, M2000, Mig 21, BF 109, FW 190.

Modules that I flew ONCE: P51, FC3, Spitfire.

Yes, that's hundreds of dollars completely wasted! You think you are sick? Well how do you call me then?

Ah ah! This thread is just brilliant! Although it doesn't address a much worse set of people that buys modules and just even don't install them! Forget about flying them even once!

Here are the modules for which I got a licence that I never even activated: F18, Harrier, Mig-15, M2000, Mig 21, BF 109, FW 190.

Yes, that's hundreds of dollars completely wasted! You think you are sick? Well how do you call me then?

oh oh... you should be a nominee when we vote our AAA-leader board! :thumbup:

A great supporter, like me too.

I have buyed a lot of modules which I've never flown.

But time will come ... maybe :)

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

A great supporter, like me too.

I have buyed a lot of modules which I've never flown.

But time will come ... maybe :)

Happy to see I am not alone!

I am supporting ED by buying their fixed wing modules hoping this will help them releasing a Rotarywing module, but instead they are just releasing more fixed wings every year! Doh!

Edited by BaD CrC