A-10C Weapon release proflie.

Examos

Hello, I have a question. What is diffrence between optimal and ballistic weapon release profile. In DSMS it's called SLON - BAL or ORP. I tried to figure it out from manual but there is no real explanation for this.

Thank you in advance

Hello, I have a question. What is diffrence between optimal and ballistic weapon release profile. In DSMS it's called SLON - BAL or ORP. I tried to figure it out from manual but there is no real explanation for this.

In order to hit a target while using terminal guidance, the Laser Guided Bombs need to be released so that they have a little more energy than with a purely ballistic flight path.

BAL would be the proper choice for LGBs that are dropped as dumb bombs when no terminal guidance is available, and ORP (I believe that's "Optimal Release Point" or some such) gives the bomb more energy (it'll be released a little later), so this should be used whenever laser guidance is available and intended.

Using ORP without terminal guidance, the bomb is practically guaranteed to fall long of the target.