F-14B + TM Warthog Throttle: start engine by moving out of detent?

bumblebomb

Hi all,

I'd like to make the F-14's engines (or others, too) start when I move the Warthog throttle levers out of the detent position. These are Buttons 29 and 30 on the throttle and "pressed" means OFF, so when not pressed I want to start.

Searching around a bit here I brew together this:

In

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F14\Input\F-14B-Pilot\joystick\Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua

I modified this

join_override(res.keyCommands,{

--throttle out of engine detent 28apr2019
{ combos={{key='JOY_BTN30'}}, down=iCommandLeftEngineStop, up=iCommandLeftEngineStart, name=_('Throttle2-Pos. OFF/IDLE'), category=_('Engine Control')},
{ combos={{key='JOY_BTN29'}}, down=iCommandRightEngineStop, up=iCommandRightEngineStart, name=_('Throttle1-Pos. OFF/IDLE'), category=_('Engine Control')},

--Flight Control

The entries are in the new section now, but with a reddish color, so I guess the syntax is wrong, and moving the throttle does not make the gui "jump" to the according lines. I relied on a post from 2017 and suspect the syntax might have changed:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=184527

Pointers appreciated.

I use Target's GUI, but it should also work with the script version. There's no need to touch the lua file.

For Left Throttle OFF: DX30 Hold on PRESS (also assign it in DCS settings to use TM Virtual controller DX30 button for this)

For Left Throttle ON: RALT-END pulse on RELEASE

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I'd like to keep it simple and only modify the lua without further additional software for the moment, for one I then don't depend on another software I need to learn and possibly debug and then would like to understand the DCS syntax anyway.

OK then. I can't help you with modifying the lua files as I'm no good, but the Target software works perfectly for this type of stuff if you have no other solutions.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Not sure if i'm missing something. But for me it worked out of the box like it does with the a-10.

Moving the throttles out of idle on the warthog moves the throttle out of idle in the f-14. And back into idle if desired.

When "booting" into a plane i cycle the throttles out of and into idle once - maybe to sync the status with dcs.

I don't use target.

Maybe i had to map both idle positions like you do for the buttons in control setup - i don't remember. Will look for the function names later and post them here.

Edited by MatthlK

The lines look ok. But as I don't have the Tomcat I cannot determine what might be wrong. Are you sure the original file didn't have code for these commands? Lines in red could indicate that they are duplicates.

Can you post the original .lua and the modified one?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yeah it works fine, just bind the buttons in DCS to engine cutoff. No editing required.

Yep. The functions are called "Left Engine Cutoff" / "Right Engine Cutoff". Just bind the buttons. Works. No lua oder target scripting needed (undo the changes).

Maybe enable "Sync HOTAS System at Sim Start" under Misc. Options. Have a German Installation here, so i'm not sure about the exact name.

Cutoff might work, yet, I'd like to *start* the engines by moving the throttles *out* of Cutoff.

It never did that here.

I don't have the Tomcat, but it's probably the same logic as for other planes. It's defined to work with the Cut-off switch of the TM WH throttle. This contact closes when you pull the throttle lever back over the "hump" from IDLE to OFF, and opens when you move it forwrd to Idle. So in fact you start the engine by moving the lever out of the "cut-off" position. But the command you have to bind to is called "Engine Cutoff".

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

It works just as MatthIK said.

Throttle is a on/off switch. When lever is in cutoff switch is on.

So by proxy, setting cutoff is the correct direction. Cutoff is on when switch is on. (Which means throttle is at cutoff)

I got that, but where do I define what happens when cutoff is off? I can map cutoff to buttons 29/30, yes. But like I said, when cranking and moving the physical throttle over the hump from cutoff to idle pos, nothing happens.

F-14B + TM Warthog Throttle: start engine by moving out of detent?

If you use the DX button mapping route, then you need to use release command to activate throttle from off to idle. Mapping in DCS setting doesn’t work that way (only with Target).

Open windows joystick controller and look at the DX button activation. When the throttles are in off position physically, the two Dx buttons stay pressed. And when you move them out those buttons are released. So it has to do with the states of those buttons in DX mode—being either pressed or released.

This is why my Target mapping always work no matter what the throttle’s initial position is at the beginning of the game, because it would look at the state of these buttons and acts accordingly (pressed = off, released = idle)

You can just map with DCS settings but you need to set the correct throttle’s initial state when you start the game, since this way it only acts as a toggle button.

Edited by Supmua

I got that, but where do I define what happens when cutoff is off? I can map cutoff to buttons 29/30, yes. But like I said, when cranking and moving the physical throttle over the hump from cutoff to idle pos, nothing happens.

I don't have the Tomcat, so I cannot try this. But it might be the same as with some WWII aircraft: The program needs to "see" the switch's contact close before it will recognize its opening. Therefore try this:

When the mission has started, make sure the throttle is in "IDLE", then move it to OFF, before you begin the start-up sequence. Now the program will be able to "see" the change from OFF to IDLE.

LeCuvier

EDIT / I got this working with RSmapper, actually. Release on BTN29/30 to RAlt+End and RAlt+Home for right (lucky guess)

Question though: why does this work at all? in the entire controls setup there is ne predefines keybind for "RAlt+End/Home".

Edited by bumblebomb

EDIT / I got this working with RSmapper, actually. Release on BTN29/30 to RAlt+End and RAlt+Home for right (lucky guess)

Question though: why does this work at all? in the entire controls setup there is ne predefines keybind for "RAlt+End/Home".

Isn't it RAlt/RCtrl + Home (left/right engine start) and RAlt/RCtrl + End (left/right engine stop)?

If so, these are default DCS commands for FC3 modules, but I'd be surprised if you can directly start the engines in the Tomcat like this.

Are you playing in Game Mode perhaps?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, bit of a necro here, but just to be clear, if you bind in DCS to the Engine Cutoffs, it will start when you move it out of the off position, over the detent, into the idle position. I actually have no idea if it shuts off the engines, although presumably it does, but I'm not sure if I've ever done a proper shutdown with any of the planes that have this mapping.

Occasionally, for some unknown reason, I have to move it back and forward a second time for it to register, whether that's on my throttle or DCS I don't know.

Sorry, bit of a necro here, but just to be clear, if you bind in DCS to the Engine Cutoffs, it will start when you move it out of the off position, over the detent, into the idle position. I actually have no idea if it shuts off the engines, although presumably it does, but I'm not sure if I've ever done a proper shutdown with any of the planes that have this mapping.

Occasionally, for some unknown reason, I have to move it back and forward a second time for it to register, whether that's on my throttle or DCS I don't know.

It does shut them down too.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog