IR Maverick against airborn targets

Neon67

they used to be a better WVR weapon than the AIM-9X, but they eventually nerfed them ;_;
You mean fixed them, right?! ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You mean fixed them, right?! ;)
Well, if it's tracking, it's tracking. An aircraft slow enough for the gimbal and the missile to follow it should technically be a valid target

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Well, if it's tracking, it's tracking. An aircraft slow enough for the gimbal and the missile to follow it should technically be a valid target

Sure, but the Maverick used to have better maneuverability against air targets than Sidewinders, which I don't believe to be realistic. ED fixed it a while ago though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sure, but the Maverick used to have better maneuverability against air targets than Sidewinders, which I don't believe to be realistic. ED fixed it a while ago though.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Yeah, that sounds totally off.

But going back to the subject of tracking a slow airborne target, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I once tested it in the Viggen and shot down several B52. If Heatblur doesn't use their own Maverick model, it is also possible in the F18C. The question is how the infrared emissions are modelled.

Also the seeker type of an infrared Maverick is different from a Sidewinder seeker (i guess). A Sidewinder uses a rotating mirror system to line up but a Maverick uses a sophisticated IR picture. Otherwise you could not see the Mav picture to aim on thr MPCD. The maverick steers by using an image phase correlation algorithm. It is a very commonly used technique and not complicated. I guess that's also how/why the force correlate mode works.

I can imagine this has several advantages over thr sidewinder principle but i guess you run into trouble when the background is rapidly changing behind your tracking object, hence it is difficult to track a fast flying object in front of the ground.

Correct me if i am wrong

If it's not realistic I won't do it. Is it done in real life?

No, no it isn’t.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

The main factor the Maverick is missing is energy for terminal guidance on fast moving targets (it is designed for targets moving at ground speeds).

It will loft and it will fall down on the target. If the target is moving relatively slow, then you have a chance to hit it.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline