*Exterior* canopy colour/reflections

KaBoNG

I'm probably (very) late to the party on this but searching the forum has not turned up the answer I am looking for...

Is it possible to make the exterior of the canopies on all flyable planes have the same excellent colour (blue green) and reflections (appears very shiny - sun glints off of it) as the F-18 AI model and Walmis' F-15 mod?

No matter what I set and how I tweak with any mods I have been able to find, nothing seems to do this.

Texturing :) .

As in, we can edit the textures on the other existing models to duplicate the exterior canopy effects on the F-18 and Walmis F-15?

DO TELL (us how)! ;)

p.s. I guess I should have started this in the Mods forum...any "Mods" here that want to move this thread?

yea i think the only way is by creating the model itself with the reflection. The color however, could be change. For example, there's a COCKP-GLASS-STANDART.tga file in your temptexture folder. (i think i got it through a mod though) It makes most of the stock planes like the Su-27 and F-15's canopy have that slight tint of blue. Some people modified to gold...etc. However, it does not affect those new aircraft model like the SU-25T or walmis F-15.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hex Editor, and make sure you make a backup! :thumbup:

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

the lom utils canopy glass material is pure white...

Yeniceri: Do you mean the "lom utils canopy glass material" for the F-18 and Walmis F-15? Where exactly do I find this and how do you know it's pure white? I can't seem to find any textures named anything like this.

Hex Editor, and make sure you make a backup! :thumbup:

EricJ: Do you mean hex edit the other existing models to "attach" the effects textures, shaders, whatever, that are attached to the F-18 and Walmis F-15 to make them "glassy" and highly reflective?

If so, what is it about the F-18 and Walmis F-15 models that make them different (i.e. what do we have to do to the other models to create the same effects)?

Well... you have to use the hex editor to find the files first, which when you open the .cmd file, you scroll to the bottom, where all the texture names are listed (i.e. the ones that are applied to the 3D model). The thing is though, that each model has seperate rendering techniques, so the F/A-18 model has it's own properties vis a vis the other ones, so you're not able to get the same effect on the other planes. You can edit the textures, but just won't look the same.

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

As in, we can edit the textures on the other existing models to duplicate the exterior canopy effects on the F-18 and Walmis F-15?

Well the reflection(and blue tint effect) of the F-18 comes via a targa texture mapped to the cockpit object - and most aircraft models(at least the fighters) in Lock-on have such texture for cockpit reflection, so yes you can modify the effect for existing models.

However, as Eric mentioned, since Lock-on's models aren't uniform in "style" you may not get the same effect by just copying(scale and rename) the texture of the F-18 for other aircraft, but may need to fiddle a little with it yourself to approximate the effect :) .

p.s. I guess I should have started this in the Mods forum...any "Mods" here that want to move this thread?

Done :)

- JJ.

JJ