Laser Guided Teamwork

I was playing around with the Laser guided munitions in the T-frog the other day mostly experimenting tactics to take out different short range sam threats without the used of MPUs. Any way I fired a 25 ML at a target and attempted to put it at the gimble limit of the TV unit, however I went to far and the picture re centered. I was able to reacquire the target and the missile still hit. I knew you could lock different targets while the missile was in flight but a new idea dawned on me.

Would it be possible to have two aircraft lock a ground target with their laser. One is much closer than the other aircraft. Could the front guy fire, turn off his laser and turn around and let his teammates laser do the guidance? Kinda like what happens when ground forces target something for a friendly in the sky.

If Lock-on isn't modeled this way I will totally understand.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Would it be possible to have two aircraft lock a ground target with their laser. One is much closer than the other aircraft. Could the front guy fire, turn off his laser and turn around and let his teammates laser do the guidance? Kinda like what happens when ground forces target something for a friendly in the sky.

If Lock-on isn't modeled this way I will totally understand.

Actually, polish MiG-29 pilots did the same with R27. Germans were like "Wtf?" when they were told about this. :thumbup:

You mean buddy lasing? With the Vikhr it's a no-go, since that is a beam-rider, but with the Kh-25ML, it might be possible I guess?

Mcnab, this R-27 story seems promising also; was the target data datalinked? Because an R-27 starts with inertial navigation?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

IRL, proper laser code should be used by the second aircraft.

R-27 is tuned up on carrier's FCR illumination frequency before launch, so I am in doubt that it is possible to change emitter while the missile is flying. Radars operating in the same area usually are using different freq. 'channels' to avoid mutual interference.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• ED Team
Olgerd, the channel is selectable in a lot of USAF/USN aircraft. :)

Although I think that is for datalink.

Right, the same is for russian aicrafts. It is used for command guidance datalink, and for radar operating frequency as well.

There are several problems though which prevent such techique. The frequency channel should be always different from other radars in operating area, overwise there will be false target returns on you screen (due to interference). If you switch RF channel while tracking, you loose target track (need to relock on it). Also missile should not communicate with your own radar at this moment (final flight stage - no command guidance). While you are turning off your radar, and your buddy switching on you channel, the missile is not receiving any reflected energy from target, and is flying straight forward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.