Anyone feel swiveling chair’s swiveling a bit inconvenient? Any way to get rid of it?

When I used a wheeled chair I placed it on some very thick pile carpet. It provided enough resistance to allow me to use my Saitek pedals without issues.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

One option to consider is to use weight-on-wheels brakes on the office chair. Replacement wheels are found in various stores by googling. E.g.:

https://shepherdcasters.com/caster/self-braking-chair/

https://faultlesscaster.com/self-braking

Or locking casters with manual lever, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Locking-Casters-Office-Chair-Wheels/dp/B003WH6CCI

https://www.satulatuolikeskus.fi/tuote/lukkopyorat/

This is similar to what I use (with self-adhesive soft pads from Ikea so that I don't scratch the floor):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Youngs-50141-Glide-Castors-Office/dp/B00CKK2HRM/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_lp_tr_img_2/259-1475318-5136701?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VCYV8JZ1VW3BQZV7B4KF

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

First of all, please forgive me to categorize swiveling chair as an input device or otherwise I don’t know which sub-forum should I put this post...

Ok, get back to the topic.

I know a lot of you use swiveling chair for DCS. So do I, and I mount HOTAS on the chair as well. One thing keeps bothering me is that I can’t stop it from swiveling. I’m ok with that when in free flight, but find that’s not very helping when you need as much stability as you possibly can get, e.g. during AAR, formation flying or carrier landing. Also in VR, unwanted swiveling could cause slight disorientation when trying to reach out for a key on the keyboard...

Is there a way to easily lock the chair from rotate while also easy to unlock that when you do need to use it as a normal office/game chair?

I mounted my pedals on a plywood plate, then made holes fitting two sets of wheels on my office chair.

That works quite well, and it's easy to set the chair up for flying.

13DuAES.jpg

Oo680jQ.jpg

And easy to fold away when I'm not flying:

PNrbqOY.jpg

Also, the swivelling doesn't bother me much: With both feet resting against the pedals, the forces more or less balance out, so it's not a problem, even with quite heavily spring-loaded pedals like here.

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Something inexpensive and easy to install:

If you can live with a little play in the swiveling you could put a cable tie around the base of that horizontal adjustment arm on the right of the photo, and one around the leg. Then connect them with a snap link (carabiner). If that's still too much play trying adding another on the other side if the adjustment arm on that side has a horizontal portion to loop it over. Add another cable tie if you need more height. If that seat isn't used in its full down position, you can lower the seat to give you slack in the cable ties and let you unhook the snap link.

I had the caster roll back problem but couldn't replace my casters as they are slightly larger than the more common ones. I tried carpet but it still pushed back when applying the toe brakes. Taking the casters off didn't work on mine as the center shaft extended below the bottom of the legs. I would have been worried about tearing up the floor as well as the difficulty sliding it back to get out. I tried a wood frame temporarily connected to my desk legs with U-clamps, with a cross member that I would drop the two front casters over. That worked but it was a bitch to roll it back to get out. I had to lift my butt off the seat and pick up the front end and push it over the wood cross member. I finally ended up with a cockpit frame with a seat and only use my office chair at my desk. I run the monitor on my cockpit and the monitor on my office desk from the same computer. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse for both linked to the same dongle.

Just bought that, thanks !

I didn't know these existed though.

And I'm sending it back (thanks Amazon).

Wrong size (not fitting Ikea chair) and not even felt as advertised (plastic instead).

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !