Multiplayer Doesn't Work

Trondyne

Not sure what info is needed here... DCS runs fine in single player... Integrity check pass.. No antivirus... Connected once so far to a single server with latest DCS version as of this date. When going into Single Player first and then trying to go into Multiplayer the server list is empty... Return to main menu and then go back to MP and again no servers shown... Exit DCS, run DCS and go directly to MP and servers show again... Select a server and after loading is 100% <please wait> and wait and wait...

When attempting to connect DCS stays in loading screen and appears to be doing nothing much as far as Net traffic goes or anything else - cannot stop connection attempt, Esc anyone? Self diagnosis of some kind would be nice... Almost no packets appear to be coming or going, bandwidth is minimal...and stays in loading until I have to kill the task, say 5-7 minutes max...

My connection is wifi, ping on servers trying to connect is less than 100ms ping...

For this install MP appears very broken... One crash today loading while trying to connect and report sent...

Would be nice to play MP...

Thanks...

Edited by Trondyne

I ran into a similar issue tonight.

I saw that it was trying to connect to some (but not all!) servers via IPv6 rather than IPv4 and hanging at the loading screen indefinitely.

I had to disable the IPv6 protocol on my Network card and reboot before it would connect to those servers.

I ran into a similar issue tonight.

I saw that it was trying to connect to some (but not all!) servers via IPv6 rather than IPv4 and hanging at the loading screen indefinitely.

I had to disable the IPv6 protocol on my Network card and reboot before it would connect to those servers.

Tried that.. No help... BTW: This is a WIN 10 Build with latest updates...

DCS sees lots of servers with good ping numbers lower than 100 and lower than 75... When trying to connect loads all files and just sits there <please wait> and finally times out sometimes after just a couple of minutes and sometimes after several minutes.. Then after clicking the OK or disconnect button it continues to sit there, doesn't return to the main menu and must be killed by Task Manager - this makes the MP part of DCS appear as an afterthought that isn't even fully implemented. One time it did crash and sent a report again today while trying to connect... Makes no sense to me why it does this... The developers must have some idea why this would happen and MP connect should be capable of reporting connectivity problems..as in why it consistently sees a server and then doesn't connect to it...

I will continue trying some other things and as a last resort do a new Windows build.... :|

Edited by Trondyne

Just reset a bunch of network settings...

Got on one server but could not select "role".. Not having much experience getting on a server I don't know if that is "normal" or not...

When trying to connect to a Persian Gulf server (recently installed PG Map) the load process FAILS and DCS crashes - second crash so far today... When exiting the server that I did connect to and returning to the Multiplayer screen, no servers would display... Tried exiting the MP menu and going back in several times but no servers would display.. Closed DCS and then ran again go into MP and servers reappear...

Lots of fun!

Again DCS works fine in Single Player...

If I can't get MP to work I will not be buying modules....

Win10 16GB RAM

Edited by Trondyne

Did some network optimizations and was able to connect again to a server... Still not consistently however...

The Persian Gulf Map fails to load when trying to join any server with that map - DCS freezes about 90% through the load process and must be killed in TM. PG map works fine in SP.

The other anomaly ever-present is when having either joined a MP server or having played SP and then exiting back to Main Menu and trying to go back into MP that all servers are gone... Only way to get the server list back is to exit DCS and rerun...

Lots of issues it seems with MP...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did upgrades on network connection - increased bandwidth by factor of 4, latency consistent and low... Still no connection possible to ANY servers... All servers show in list but cannot connect to servers even with under 100ms ping... Observed no network traffic after loading completes, there are packets sent and received when "join" is clicked, but when loading is complete there is no communication at all... This must mean something...as DCS is loaded and ready but no communication attempted up or down.... This appears now to be a configuration problem?

Why is there no communication attempted after load? On second attempts load time is less than 30 seconds but DCS is just sitting there not sending packets or getting any - that doesn't seem normal.. This computer has no trouble on any other app using internet...

Did a clean install of Windows ... Upgraded Internet connection...

First run only installed F-15C module... No servers visible in list... Refreshed - no servers visible...

Exited DCS and reran.... Servers now visible... Attempted to join one server with low ping around 70ms... DCS began to load and HUNG... Had to kill task and Windows said it was reporting "problem to Microsoft"...

Reran DCS and clicked Multiplayer and again no servers visible... Refreshed and no servers visible... DCS can't seem to decide if it sees the internet...it flips a coin... I've had it...

Too much work too little help with this app... I'll try again in 6 months...

Edited by Trondyne

It's a bit strange that almost no one tried to help you diagnose this .. it happens sometimes, maybe the tone of your messages turned people off, or maybe you provided too litle info so people couldnt venture a diagnostic or a guess ...

I play mostly Single Player, so I'm nowhere an expert on the Multiplayer subject, but I can assure you that the MP Servers are working at the moment .. I see all of these:

vdTe3Ka.jpg

... and can connect to those that dont have password.

So, the problem must be on your end .. items that I would check:

- The ISP must provide you with an IP v4 connection .. DCS is not yet fully compatible with IP v6

- Your router's and PC's firewalls must not block the TCP/IP ports that DCS uses (10308 if i recall correctly)

- Your version of DCS must be the same as that used by the Servers .. most of them are running DCS Openbeta 2.5.4 or 2.5.5 .. so you may have to update your DCS to match.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It's a bit strange that almost no one tried to help you diagnose this .. it happens sometimes, maybe the tone of your messages turned people off, or maybe you provided too litle info so people couldnt venture a diagnostic or a guess ...

I play mostly Single Player, so I'm nowhere an expert on the Multiplayer subject, but I can assure you that the MP Servers are working at the moment .. I see all of these:

vdTe3Ka.jpg

... and can connect to those that dont have password.

So, the problem must be on your end .. items that I would check:

- The ISP must provide you with an IP v4 connection .. DCS is not yet fully compatible with IP v6

- Your router's and PC's firewalls must not block the TCP/IP ports that DCS uses (10308 if i recall correctly)

- Your version of DCS must be the same as that used by the Servers .. most of them are running DCS Openbeta 2.5.4 or 2.5.5 .. so you may have to update your DCS to match.

Best regards

My guess is not too many takers because I am on WiFi...

This is a clean (new) install of Open Beta downloaded last night... on a clean new Windows install..

AMD 1800X

16GB RAM

AMD RX 580

7200 RPM HDD

I have written network applications... If my application is installed clean and only intermittently shows servers, and just sits there not trying to connect then I'd want to know why...

I realize it works on lots of machines but this is a CLEAN install of Windows and a new install of DCS... DCS is the only app not working correctly... DCS does not report any problems, it's inconsistent and apparently has no ability to self diagnose connection problems... My connection has consistent and low latency with around 10-18 Mbit bandwidth...

If DCS can see the server and then tries to connect (Persian Gulf Maps used to crash) why does it just sit there for 15 minutes (doing nothing after loading) and then time out with a failure to connect message which when clicked doesn't even allow the program to resume (it must be killed in task manager)

Lots of odd things about this problem that seems to point to incomplete implementation of online IMO...

Edited by Trondyne

Go to start >eagle dynamics and click repair DCS world. It has helped me with many different issues. could hurt either.

What are your system specs?

i7-7700 OC'ed 5.0 :joystick:-2x16GB DDR4-4000 :joystick:-GTX1080 8GB :joystick: -500GB 960EVO NVMe :joystick:-ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero:joystick:-Oculus Rift:joystick:-X55 HOTAS

Go to start >eagle dynamics and click repair DCS world. It has helped me with many different issues. could hurt either.

What are your system specs?

This just finished installing 2 hours ago on a clean windows install...

System specs above...

Some mp servers take forever to load first time. Dont shut it down, let it sit if it "hangs". Go get a coffee, beer whatever.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Some mp servers take forever to load first time. Dont shut it down, let it sit if it "hangs". Go get a coffee, beer whatever.

Most often it loads fine and then "Please Wait..." until it times out which takes about 15 minutes..

Only the developers know how this app's comm works... Why it should be so inconsistent must be a function of the design... I have no problems with other apps using the internet for communication...

I will post images shortly...

More often than not this is what I see...

On my case, I see this:

oQ915Yy.jpg

9RILZ3q.jpg

You seem convinced that the problem lies within DCS, but on that case it would be a widespread problem .. and no one would be able to connect.

Please check here, just to be sure that you are not on an IPv6 network: https://www.whatismyip.com/

Also, be sure that your Router does not have a Firewall activated, and just for testing disable Window's firewall for a while, just to check that they are not interfering with the connection.

Hope you can find the cause.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You seem convinced that the problem lies within DCS, but on that case it would be a widespread problem .. and no one would be able to connect.

Not at all...

I am convinced it is DCS not playing well with this build and hardware config...

Again, this is a clean build...

DCS can at times see the server(s) and at other times not... However, it always sees the server when asking to connect and then 30 seconds later always cannot... This is rather odd...as if one part of the app can see the server but the other part can't...consistently.... And load times are not long (about 30 seconds)

When failing to connect DCS is dead in the water...does not return to any menu and sits there waiting to be killed - that in itself is odd and suggests incomplete implementation of network...

bpc63rN.jpg

Edited by Trondyne

@Trondyne

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but WiFi and DCS don't mix well.

Other games tolerate sub-optimal internet connections, but, in my experience, DCS doesn't.

Even if you were able to join a server, you'd get disconnected eventually, getting the "Connection timed out" message (which I see you already got).

Or you'd simply get kicked from the server due to wild ping swings (these are tolerated in most other games...not so much in DCS, I'm afraid).

To give you an example, I have a very reliable and stable fiber connection (never get disconnects, ping swings, etc.), also, I never connect to distant servers (anything above 100ms is already pushing it)... yet I've also gotten the dreaded "Connection timed out" message sometimes.

I remember playing in DCS servers that tolerated wild ping swings from clients, several years back... the result was people teleporting all over the place.

I mean, you could have an enemy aircraft locked right in front of you and then suddenly lose it, due to "teleportation".

My guess is that server admins got fed up with all that nonsense and decided to adopt a tough stance on sub-optimal internet connections.

Anyway, if you still want to try your luck, I recommend that you install the OpenBeta version of DCS, since that's what many servers are running.

PS:

are a great alternative to WiFi, in situations where a stable connection is needed but a direct cable to the router can't be used.

This is how I solved my WiFi connection problems years ago, before I had fiber connection.

Edited by Hardcard

@Trondyne

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but WiFi and DCS don't mix well.

Other games tolerate sub-optimal internet connections, but, in my experience, DCS doesn't.

Even if you were able to join a server, you'd get disconnected eventually, getting the "Connection timed out" message (which I see you already got).

Or you'd simply get kicked from the server due to wild ping swings (these are tolerated in most other games...not so much in DCS, I'm afraid).

To give you an example, I have a very reliable and stable fiber connection (never get disconnects, ping swings, etc.), also, I never connect to distant servers (anything above 100ms is already pushing it)... yet I've also gotten the dreaded "Connection timed out" message sometimes.

I remember playing in DCS servers that tolerated wild ping swings from clients, several years back... the result was people teleporting all over the place.

I mean, you could have an enemy aircraft locked right in front of you and then suddenly lose it, due to "teleportation".

My guess is that server admins got fed up with all that nonsense and decided to adopt a tough stance against sub-optimal internet connections.

Anyway, if you still want to try your luck, I recommend that you install the OpenBeta version of DCS, since that's what many servers are running.

PS:

are a great alternative to WiFi, in situations where a stable connection is needed but a direct cable to the router can't be used.

This is how I solved my WiFi connection problems years ago, before I had fiber connection.

I don't think I'm having "wild ping swings" although that sounds fun... I AM running Open Beta as stated in my posts... installed 2 hours ago or so...

I will post a string of pings later... I have seen pretty consistent pings <35ms during tests... I don't think 35ms +-10 is much of a swing... If so then it must be built into all the servers and the swing limit must be ridiculously low, like 10ms or something equally absurd...-- I have written TCP network apps and my sense of what is going on is not latency but a comm failure caused by - what - ?

Just got on a server after turning off firewall, not sure if that really mattered though... But didn't know what to do with this, see below:

1zgZM1Z.jpg

Edited by Trondyne

Just got on another server and could have flown.... First time I think ...

What hasn't changed is when leaving server and going back to the Servers screen is that all servers disappear... This has been consistent on all builds and must be a bug... Servers are there when going in but all gone when coming back.... Refreshing doesn't help and neither does returning to the main menu and going back to Multiplayer... At that point MP menu no longer works... Is that my "ping swing" too?

Edited by Trondyne

What hasn't changed is when leaving server and going back to the Servers screen is that all servers disappear... This has been consistent on all builds and must be a bug...

If it were a bug, other players would have this problem as well (I, for one, don't have it. Neither in OpenBeta nor in Stable).

As I hinted, try a wired connection (be it direct cable or PLC), see if the problems persist.

Antivirus software?

Firewalls? Proxy servers? Anything weird?

You've already gone full nuclear with the clean windows install but I've known a few tech-y individuals that have shot themselves in the foot from time to time because their "clean" installs included overclocking software and 10 programs with real time monitoring and elaborate security measures. :lol:

If you haven't already, disable any and all software of that nature so you've got your bare ass in the breeze minus basic Windows Defender and give it a whirl.

If that doesn't change anything or you've tried it, test with a hardwired connection or at another location if you're the type that doesn't mind dragging their tower around occasionally. This should determine if the problem lies with your hardware or with your ISP.

Some routers may also close connections automatically, give the settings a thorough inspection for anything that could be kicking you out.