possible flight bug

eatthis

im not sure if this is a bug or realistic but after ive been cruising around at 30k feet+ for a while it seems suddenyl struggle like hell to maintain airspeed, the aoa racks up and even in full burner i cant get it go beyond 200 knots (struggles to hit 160k in dry power) ias without diving 10k feet and climbing back up.

it feels like a bug but im not sure, anybody else had a similer issue

also had a drag race on the deck with an f18 with both of us clean i expected to leave him but it was a perfect dead heat, is that correct?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

I too struggle To get my head around the poor performance of the aircraft. I have nothing to compare it to expect the f18 that runs rings around it so I put it down to “its big it’s heavy and it’s slow” belly full of fuel and some of those pointy shooty things on it and 30k at 300knots seems about it.

im not sure if this is a bug or realistic but after ive been cruising around at 30k feet+ for a while it seems suddenyl struggle like hell to maintain airspeed, the aoa racks up and even in full burner i cant get it go beyond 200 knots (struggles to hit 160k in dry power) ias without diving 10k feet and climbing back up.

it feels like a bug but im not sure, anybody else had a similer issue

also had a drag race on the deck with an f18 with both of us clean i expected to leave him but it was a perfect dead heat, is that correct?

Sounds like you're getting caught on the backside of the power curve. Especially at high altitudes, any aircraft will struggle to re-gain airspeed if you let the speed fall too low, that's a pretty realistic effect. Once the airspeed does get up beyond a certain threshold things get easier performance-wise. That being said if you were unable to crack 200 knots in level flight with full burners, that does sound suspicious...too heavy maybe?

I noticed the exact same thing, and I've found that how you start the plane can affect engine performance. If you push the throttle forward before letting the RPM hit 25 - 30%, then I think you get an engine over-temp condition or something that damages the engine, and the performance suffers exactly like you've noticed.

Try starting the engines by letting the air cart fully spool the engine before introducing fuel, or just air-start and see if you have the same problem.

Since changing my startup routine, i've had no problem running circles around F-18's

You can burn the engines if you don't start them right, and it degrades performance.

Watch the EGTs during start, and kill the fuel if you see them get close to max start limit (don't wait for an exceedance - that's too late).

Don't be in a rush to take them out of idle, either, after starting. I'm usually sat for a couple of minutes at least after start before I start taxi. It allows the oil and engine to warm up.

Hot days = higher EGTs at start, and watch for tail winds! You can cook the engines easily.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."