OT: ArmA II

...its not only about breath, its about heartbeat too....

And also more Importantly in my opinion is How you pull the Trigger - "Trigger Control".

Don't know about snipers (I'm sure each has their own unique way of shooting), but soldiers looking through scopes/iron sights do shoot with both eyes open

Depends on the individuals' Dominant Eye:

"Dominant Eye: To determine which eye is dominant, the sniper extends one arm to the front and points the index finger skyward to select an aiming point. With both eyes open, he aligns the index finger with the aiming point, then closes one eye at a time while looking at the aiming point. One eye will make the finger appear to move off the aiming point; the other eye will stay on the aiming point. The dominant eye is the eye that does not move the finger from the aiming point. Some individuals may have difficulty aiming because of interference from their dominant eye, if this is not the eye used in the aiming process. This may require the sniper to fire from the other side of the weapon (right-handed firer will fire left-handed). Such individuals must close the dominant eye while shooting."

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The effective range of a soldier trained with ironsights is at least 300 m

It may be so, but it's a far, far stretch and not quite a distance for someone without scope. You also need to think about wind and the bullet trajectory, especially if that guy you're trying to take out with iron sights at 300m is running around.

For an unscoped rifle, in my oppinion, 100-150m is the optimum distance. Anything further then that is pushing it. Again, if we're talking combat conditions. If we're talking static ciggarete packs, well, that's a completely different ballgame.

It may be so, but it's a far, far stretch and not quite a distance for someone without scope. You also need to think about wind and the bullet trajectory, especially if that guy you're trying to take out with iron sights at 300m is running around.

Agreed - also dependant on the Rifle concerned. Personally my Introductory Fire-Arms Training was to a Maximum of 300m with Ironsights due to Max Effective Range of the Assault-Rifle concerned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Besides, shooting ironsights behind 100-150 meters is "unrealistic" to hit someone, in combat. Of course its trained in the armies but i once saw an article which stated that under combat stress accuracy is the best withing 100 meters max.

I also heard from a cop friend of mine that they used to have gunfights with the bad guys 4 meters away (with handguns of course) and both sides were missing. An adrenalin rush factor is something we tend to ignore in these discussions.

ArmA is nice, but forget it guys. Look forward to Operation Flashpoint 2. ;)

Asus Z97-PRO | Intel i7-4790K @ 4.00Ghz | beQuite! PowerZone 650W | Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti | Creative E-MU 1616m | Samsung SSD 840 Evo Basic - 1TB | Win10 |

TM Hotas Cougar w. U2nxt + hall sensors | VPC ACE-1 Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro

"Dominant Eye: To determine which eye is dominant, the sniper extends one arm to the front and points the index finger skyward to select an aiming point. With both eyes open, he aligns the index finger with the aiming point, then closes one eye at a time while looking at the aiming point. One eye will make the finger appear to move off the aiming point; the other eye will stay on the aiming point. The dominant eye is the eye that does not move the finger from the aiming point. Some individuals may have difficulty aiming because of interference from their dominant eye, if this is not the eye used in the aiming process. This may require the sniper to fire from the other side of the weapon (right-handed firer will fire left-handed). Such individuals must close the dominant eye while shooting."

You should NEVER close an eye. You should either learn to shoot with both eyes open or cover your other eye.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

And also more Importantly in my opinion is How you pull the Trigger - "Trigger Control".

Um, you sorta proved my point - what you quoted states that only special individuals are exempt from the "keep both eyes open" rule. Anyway, we're arguing over details here - I think it can be agreed on that in the majority of cases the practice is to keep both eyes open.

sigzk5.jpg

For an unscoped rifle, in my oppinion, 100-150m is the optimum distance. Anything further then that is pushing it. Again, if we're talking combat conditions. If we're talking static ciggarete packs, well, that's a completely different ballgame.

Well, in my defense, SUBS17 was talking about static cigarette packs. I'm saying that such a static target on a firing range would be a joke for a sniper at 500 m, and would probably be a more challenging target for the designated marksman with his ACOG scope and M4/16.

sigzk5.jpg

I think it can be agreed on that in the majority of cases the practice is to keep both eyes open.

Correct ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should NEVER close an eye. You should either learn to shoot with both eyes open or cover your other eye.

This for dominant eye indication ? or shooting ?

And yes what i´ve heard by some SF if that the max reliable range for ironsight is around 400 feets.

500m or aprox 1500 feet is B. eye naked.

Mcnab your right.... most near shooting are done without aim and witohut leading, but where on static target here.

And whoever said it, i had forgotten about bad trigger pull deviation, but if the guy can shoot beetwen hearbeats this is joke for him.

Well, in my defense, SUBS17 was talking about static cigarette packs. I'm saying that such a static target on a firing range would be a joke for a sniper at 500 m, and would probably be a more challenging target for the designated marksman with his ACOG scope and M4/16.

We're talking eye naked eye...

Even so X2/X4 ain't suficient for half a kilometer, you can shoot X8 to X12...or even more. Do a simple thing...

take a cigarette pack put it on the ground... walk back a thousand good steps.

I i remember well , but i´m not entirely sure of it, a 1m80cm 5'6" men loose 1/3 of his eight at 200 feets. Thats why scopes are graduated so knowing this exact factor you can aproximately get the distance of the target and make wind/ballistic correction as needed.

There is a SF a real history here in Brasil.

A BOPE sniper in a favela was seeing, through a light nocturnal haze, a narco guard with what seemed to be an AK 47/74. He had a new rifle (unknow model) and after bugging his captain was greened to fire. It was a top down shot.

He aimed the guy in the chest, but he was still used to his older equipment behavior. When they got there, the guy was writting on the floor the Ak by his side.

But he hadn´t got the chest, he got the guys balls....

i´m not sure bout the distance but if i rember well was about 600-770m

Dont be annoyed, but i dont think so :D

Im going with Slaunyeh. Hitting this thing with a sniper rifle, being properly trained with a decent scope would be possible, if you are a full trained sniper with a M24 or a similar weapon.

It had a scope, LMAO did you think I mean't with iron sights:lol:. No serriously it had a very good scope probably not half as good as the ones they have now but was top of the line when I did that. I don't do that sort of shooting now I only reluctantly go to ranges now days. Too much shooting takes all the fun out of it.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I also heard from a cop friend of mine that they used to have gunfights with the bad guys 4 meters away (with handguns of course) and both sides were missing. An adrenalin rush factor is something we tend to ignore in these discussions.

Thats because they aren't using the sights when they aim, hand guns can be quite accurate up to 25m if you aim correctly. I've heard of similar incidents where 100s of rounds have been fired without anyone getting hit on either side.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

i hope one day someone can make a sniper game/simulator. i dunno if thats even possible. like still with mouse and click but like realistic conditions etc

Been out a while and not sure if it's what you're looking for (I've not even tried it myself), but if you want a sniping game this might be worth looking at:

http://ondemand.game.co.uk/MetaGame/productdetail.jsp;jsessionid=FA8D084887A20A32C4EC0E4D0E27C9AF.jvmGmuk?product_id=3879#index

UK site, but if it's of interest you could look for an equivalent supplier local to yourself.

Anyone done the Sniper mission on Arma where you have to hit the Officer on the building. Its quite a good mission about halfway through the campaign.:thumbup:

The one with the secluded hotel between two mountains, right?

It was quite an easy mission.

Although I managed to "kill" the chopper, by accelerating time (wanted to reach my extraction point faster) and it crashed on a hill, because it didn't turn fast enough. Oops! :D

ArmA, like OFP before it, is best in multiplayer with a good squad. :D

Problem is that I don't have enough time to play its missions and I opt for BF2 (don't kill me! :P) instead.

"Where you will be reunited with an old friend...the thrill of battle." - Admiral Tolwyn, Wing Commander IV