OT: ArmA II

Nope. If it could be done, it would've been done already. The only way thermals are making it into this game is if BI implements it as hard code.

All you need for thermal imaging is another set of textures implemented (in exactly the way Steel Beasts ProPE does it). This is perfectly possible in ArmA. In fact there's a group of gamers out there (who are unfortunately dedicated to hacking and generally spoiling everyone elses fun..... Do a websearch for TKC) who produced a "thermal" hack months ago that allows them to see through walls and buildings. That being the case I don't think adding thermals to ArmA would be difficult at all. it would be preventing them from being a "God's view" cheat that's the problem.

IRL, not every foot soldier has thermal goggles just because it is to expensive. Yes they have NVG's but no thermal....

ARMA I was good imo, i have it since it came out but didnt play it much on my old system (AMD 2500+, ATI 9800XT) but now since i have a new system...oh my god....love it! allready waiting for part two!

The real military version of this game is realy awesome!!! but 800 euro's for it? no way

DCS World, A10C, AV8B, M2k, FA18C, FC3, MIG21

You use both eyes.. Right...

But it haven´t to be looking like you are trying to look with both eyes trought the scope and bumping your nose on it in the process !!! :lol: Or are you crosseyed ?;)

Well i´m not sure you would be able to aim with a darn X4/X8 scope with both eyes open by the way, Since aiming with both eyes in only for short range you loose too much precision in the process. Unless your a Camaleon and can switch your eyes into diferent directions and your brain is still capable of process such information.

It's not that hard, and yes you can do it with scopes. Scopes focus the light onto your eye for you, so the focusing is similar to the unscoped eye.

Try it with a camera with manual focusing and zoom features. Everything will look normal except you'll have the camera reticle augmented onto your normal vision, and the centre of the image focuses and zooms. Your brain automatically ignores the unfocused camera in your view.

I swear it works.

Obviously only one eye looks down the scope by the way :P

The hard part is ensuring the eye looks down the scope properly, because if you are slightly off-centre you'll end up looking at the inner walls of the scope which will be blurred and dark so it is difficult to reposition.

Well i already tryed and wasn´t able (maybe my limtation) with scope and camera. With camera its ok (short range).

But with scope or even iron sight, i loose too much concentration, speed and details with both eyes opens.

Maybe some people are able, or i lack intense training that i have not.

But it is well know when you focus, you periferal vision decrease since your brain concentrate in capturing details. Thats why i´m a little dubious at this both eyes opened theory. At least my brain try to manage both focuses at the same time and i loose details in the scope, at long range (2x /x4 ).

Just to make sure i´m clear. here my aproximate set of distance Iron sight. Thats my settings for a head sized object, sticking clearly upon background.

PB : 10m - 15m

close range 10 to 40 - 50 m

Medium Range - 50 to 100 m

Long range - 100m Above.

The real military version of this game is realy awesome!!! but 800 euro's for it? no way

Your right, few armies grunt have NVG, much less IR. Armies that provide such for the NonSF are very few. And since its a game lets put everybody in the same lvl...

To be truth most armies doesnґt even provide bullet proof jackets (And some who does, does with the jacket being outdated, out of validity etc)so NVG is out of question. As NVG/IR being a war winner agaisnt Iraqui troops that laughtable, since when Iraqui ever had an OMG army, just a junk of ragtag that learned to march, and barely learned to shoot some Generic AK, where low on amo, food and water, and after some days, morale. The boasting came from fear of Saddam and Ignorance of opfor capacity.

Now iґm curious about the military version...what does it have that is so interesting ?

IR/laser hit recognition software ? better grafics ? Real voices and commands ? Intergrated com/voip ? Awesome AI that coordinate moves beetween suadrons elements and squadrons, mobs, in a more probable pattern ? Real armament attitude, piercing and damage factors, (hit boxes), times of reload, Jams probability etc ? Curious Curious Curious....

Well I've only tried it a few times with a scope on an air rifle (the scope wasn't anything special) and I'm no marksman so it didn't seem to make any difference. As for the camera it had a fair bit of zoom but wasn't telescopic or anything.

Maybe your right then, but I've heard a few people say to keep both eyes open so that's how I'd aim unless someone could persuade me otherwise. Unless the idea is for you to keep both eyes open for general use but not long distance where that extra level of concentration is required?

Well I've only tried it a few times with a scope on an air rifle (the scope wasn't anything special) and I'm no marksman so it didn't seem to make any difference. As for the camera it had a fair bit of zoom but wasn't telescopic or anything.

Maybe your right then, but I've heard a few people say to keep both eyes open so that's how I'd aim unless someone could persuade me otherwise. Unless the idea is for you to keep both eyes open for general use but not long distance where that extra level of concentration is required?

To pick details that make you detect movement / ennemies.

Tipical sniper training in France involve hitting a 20cm radius target (human chest vital part) at 600m+(Up to weapon capacity). Donґt think in such case having the other eye open is relevant.

In a more comon aproach 2 eyes opens, IMHO, are for CQC, where periferal vision is paramount for reaction speed, since extreme acuracy isnґt vital (unless hostage involved).

But again i may be wrong about the last part.

Hmm... crap ArmA? again?

Nah...

Crysis all the way

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

crysis is a fake non realistic game...it has freakin futuristic people and so in it. When you dont like arma it is your choise. But dont call it crap because you don't like it. You cant compare it....and by the way.....crysis isn't even out yet. Who says that it will be that good when it comes to gameplay? And can you perform realistic military tactics in crysis? Simple answer: NO

Isnґt crisis the one with aliens freezing our butts ?

ET from home.. again ? Blah. Frag out!

I always was curious at ARMA but since i very happy with AAO, i donґt feel the need to go for another FPS. Unless it goes beyond bang bang...

So whats so interesting in Arma ? Curious...since i do not believe he boxes and hype since mid 90s i would like to hear from real players.

Euhm what is so interessting

Real tactics, nice weapons hehe, great big map, realistic setup when you talk about missions. No life bar. When you are hit in your leg for instance you cant stand up or when you are hit in your arm you cant aim anymore. Euhm ballistics from the weapons are realynice. And the tarrain, You can realy use your camo...for the rest....well...read a good review hehe. But dont expect much from the choppers and aircraft though...

All you need for thermal imaging is another set of textures implemented (in exactly the way Steel Beasts ProPE does it). This is perfectly possible in ArmA. In fact there's a group of gamers out there (who are unfortunately dedicated to hacking and generally spoiling everyone elses fun..... Do a websearch for TKC) who produced a "thermal" hack months ago that allows them to see through walls and buildings. That being the case I don't think adding thermals to ArmA would be difficult at all. it would be preventing them from being a "God's view" cheat that's the problem.

The question isn't a matter of how it' can be done, but more a matter of has anyone done it yet in the 7-8 years the OFP engine has been around? You can go ask this in the BI forums and prove me right ;)

sigzk5.jpg

The question isn't a matter of how it' can be done, but more a matter of has anyone done it yet in the 7-8 years the OFP engine has been around? You can go ask this in the BI forums and prove me right ;)

That is not what you suggested in your previous post. Quote:

Nope. If it could be done, it would've been done already. The only way thermals are making it into this game is if BI implements it as hard code.

Whether anyone has done it or not is immaterial to the original point.

Now regarding the wall hackI mentioned earlier: Here's a video of it from YouTube

If THAT can be done in ArmA it proves that thermals ARE indeed possible without needing access to hard-coded elements. As to HOW it's done I have no idea.

That is not what you suggested in your previous post. Quote...Whether anyone has done it or not is immaterial to the original point.

Fine, be pedantic. The fact is, nobody have accomplished the implementation of thermals yet, in years, despite some people maintaining that it can be done with (heavy) scripting.

If THAT can be done in ArmA it proves that thermals ARE indeed possible without needing access to hard-coded elements. As to HOW it's done I have no idea.

Interesting video.

sigzk5.jpg

You use both eyes.. Right...

But it haven´t to be looking like you are trying to look with both eyes trought the scope and bumping your nose on it in the process !!! :lol: Or are you crosseyed ?;)

Well i´m not sure you would be able to aim with a darn X4/X8 scope with both eyes open by the way, Since aiming with both eyes in only for short range you loose too much precision in the process. Unless your a Camaleon and can switch your eyes into diferent directions and your brain is still capable of process such information.

With a 7.62mm target rifle I can hit a cigarette packet at 500m with both eyes open. The master eyes image is what you focus on. With a scope you also have to get the sight picture by getting your eye into the focal point which isn't yet modelled in any FPS although in theory you could have it in Arma with trakir. Only amaters use one eye:D

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Hey if TI were modeled in Arma then for the ground soldiers you would at least require batterys to work it because yesterday I was playing Arma online and I brought a Laser marker to mark a target for a pilot to drop LGBs and I forgot the batterys:doh:. Man we were 20 miles from base and I had been dropped off by helicopter which had been shot down. I have to admit though the laser marker has a real cool sight and its quite cool to call in an airstrike with it just remember when you grab one don't forget batterys.:D

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I play ArmA once in a while but I gotta say, the feeling of firearms suck. I also play Red Orchestra and in that game, you can trully "feel" the power of Kar98 or MP40 or MG42.

In ArmA there is no real iron sights fatigue (when aiming for too long) and the weapons are just..meh...

It is quite addictive if you're into hard core millitary shooters..but RO has a lot more juice in it, IMO.

With a 7.62mm target rifle I can hit a cigarette packet at 500m with both eyes open.

I think there´s too much 000's in that statement.:huh:

I hope you use a scope to score such hit.. if not Mr. T5000, i am very inclined to say this is a nice lie... If you use a scope why maintain an eye open ? To look around ? If you look around you´ll loose the correct aim of the target.... without counting the probable ballistic/wind adj. you´ll have to do.

If its 50m i do this with a bow...nothing impressive there...

I think thereґs too much 000's in that statement.:huh:

I hope you use a scope to score such hit.. if not Mr. T5000, i am very inclined to say this is a nice lie... If you use a scope why maintain an eye open ? To look around ? If you look around youґll loose the correct aim of the target.... without counting the probable ballistic/wind adj. youґll have to do.

If its 50m i do this with a bow...nothing impressive there...

Its not about impressing anyone just simply thats how its done, join a target shooting club and learn how to aim properly thats the best advice I could give ya. Theres a world of difference between a bow and arrow and a high powered rifle. The good thing about Arma is at least it models breathing rate which is quite important for aiming at small distant targets. BTW talking about aim and accuracy the latest sniper rifles can reach out to 1km or more and are even more accurate than the older rifles.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Its not about skill with firearms, firearms are done to be foolproof...kids shooting people have already prooven it, any 4 year old can shoot someone after a 2 minute lesson.

Its not about weapon accuracy weapon accuracy goes up to 2,5 km with proper wind correction...

its not only about breath, its about heartbeat too, but lets say you're properly trained as a pro and have learned to slow your heart and can shoot beetween heartbeats...

Its mostly about the size of a cigarette pack at 500m. Eye naked...not. its the size of a needle at 30m, without glint or shine. And the needle would be easyer to hit.

This i only believe seeing it...You tube ?;)

Unless, with a remote probability that your shooting from the top of a fall on a cigarette pack at the bottom of it.... and even then i am more than skeptical. I think more there a misunderstanding in feets and meters. Or a misjudgement on the lenght.

500feets would do more or less 196-7 meters... its very hard but i suppose it can be done.

• ED Team
With a 7.62mm target rifle I can hit a cigarette packet at 500m with both eyes open.

Dont be annoyed, but i dont think so :D

Im going with Slaunyeh. Hitting this thing with a sniper rifle, being properly trained with a decent scope would be possible, if you are a full trained sniper with a M24 or a similar weapon.

Dont be annoyed, but i dont think so :D

Im going with Slaunyeh. Hitting this thing with a sniper rifle, being properly trained with a decent scope would be possible, if you are a full trained sniper with a M24 or a similar weapon.

Five hundred metres is child's play for a fully trained sniper - those guys can place a bullet through your eye at far greater ranges. You might be thinking of a designated marksmen, perhaps? The effective range of a soldier trained with ironsights is at least 300 m - therefore, it's not inconceivable that someone with a good scope (like ACOG) can put a bullet through a cigarette pack at 500 m, especially in the rather benign conditions of a shooting range (no cover, high contrast target, range known). Though obviously it would still be rather difficult, and would require a good marksman.

Though SUBS17 point still stands, from what I've been told. Don't know about snipers (I'm sure each has their own unique way of shooting), but soldiers looking through scopes/iron sights do shoot with both eyes open, with your brain "focusing" on the master image generated by the eye looking through the scope.

sigzk5.jpg