F-104 Starfighter skins by jocko417

jocko417

Doing the camo stencils, hard to see... not a lot of high rez colour pics taken of 104s at Udorn. Also starting to weather it, as best as I can do. Faded paint, spray touch-ups, exposed screw heads, etc. My hat's off to the people who actually make templates for a living!

ModelViewer2 2021-01-04 21-34-01-04.png

Edited by jocko417
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jocko417 said:

Doing the camo stencils, hard to see... not a lot of high rez colour pics taken of 104s at Udorn. Also starting to weather it, as best as I can do. Faded paint, spray touch-ups, exposed screw heads, etc. My hat's off to the people who actually make templates for a living!

ModelViewer2 2021-01-04 21-34-01-04.png

You're on fire Jocko, these skins are absolutely fantastic, it's really brought the model to life. Very well done and thank you !

On 1/4/2021 at 2:23 AM, Rick50 said:

Ooooh, is that Vietnam deployment scheme?

The first truly fast "anything" I ever saw, was CF-104's in Lahr in the 70's... that made a big impression on me!  Hercs in those days still had white and the red lightning  stripe !! 

And then months later I discovered there was a comic book featuring a Canadian fighter pilot named Dan Cooper, who flew mainly CF-104's, but later the CF-5, and the Eagle lunar lander I think... funny thing is, I don't think any Canadians were involved with creating the comic book! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Cooper_(comics)

https://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/dancooper.htm

I'd love to offer pics from Cold Lake's own museum, but I've not yet been there so I don't know what aircraft are even on display, and with the bug going around it might not open this summer season. It's "sort of" on the way to camp where I work, but would be an investment in time to actually go there. I know it's closed in the cold half of the year anyway, and think it has limited volunteers to open it for viewings? 

Anyway, if you have need of closeups of specific items on specific aircraft, let me know and I'll try to accomodate! 

Oh, and while I may not be the most enthusiastic Trekie, I do appreciate that skin too! I only just saw that episode for the first time about a year or two ago on a streaming service!

I was an Air Cadet in the 1980s, rode around on those lightning bolt Hercs (and the 707 to Cold Lake one summer). Still the finest markings scheme those airplanes had, IMO, although not overly tactical. Never liked the switch to the Canada word mark with those corporate style National Defense logos, made our military look like a branch of the post office... but I digress.

Got to sit in a 104 in Baden in the early 80s when we visited my base brat cousins. Wish I’d noted the buzz number. Never got to hear the J79 howl but could hear a gun test happening wherever the butts were on the base.

My uncle flew out of Baden during the week but he went home weekends to Lahr, where my aunt and cousins lived, better infrastructure/schools there, I guess. First German words my cousins learned in school were the swear words (like the first Dutch words they learned during a previous posting to the Netherlands) 🙂

I have downloaded and tried them all. That FG-914 is very nice as are all the liveries. When my dad was stationed in Rockliffe, I got to fly in the Hercules with the lightning bolt on it on a trip from Ottawa to Kingston then on to Lethbridge on a Cosmopolitan. Nice work on 12703 joco417.

Ah, the Cosmo... never got a ride in one of those but I rode Air Ontario's old CV580s a few times before everybody and their mother started using Dash-8s for short haul trips.

Some Canadian markings trivia, the Cosmopolitan and at least one other type (maybe Yukon?) wore red on red nationality markings for a short period. I think the theory was that since blue was no longer a "national" colour with the red and white maple leaf flag replacing the Ensign, the nationality markings should therefore mimic the new flag.

Maybe the powers that were decided that at long distances these markings would be confused with Danish markings or something, because the change never stuck.

Canadair-CC-109-Cosmopolitan--CF--Serial-No--109151--Ottawa--1967--Mike-Kaehler.jpg

Nice job Jocko !
...btw: there are a minor problem with the USAF 570914: on the pitot tube the red-white painting should be 4-4 stripes intead of spiral.
...and please make those early/Vietnam/Puerto Rico USAF camos with wavy demarcations as well 👍 Thank You
drvPoONbqMLkTl-qoFK9ncpQWdQfB9Nt6At_d0Hf
0124668.jpg
b920bd15a713a4d321f557878539206e.jpg

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

7 hours ago, NRG-Vampire said:

Nice job Jocko !
...btw: there are a minor problem with the USAF 570914: on the pitot tube the red-white painting should be 4-4 stripes intead of spiral.
...and please make those early/Vietnam/Puerto Rico USAF camos with wavy demarcations as well 👍 Thank You

7 hours ago, NRG-Vampire said:

Pitot tube fixed 🙂

Yeah, the underside colour will be "irregular" - wavy but not a repeating pattern of symmetrical waves, the Puerto Rican F-104 photo you posted  is a good example.

Hey there, I was wondering if someone can help me understand how to install the skins the right way. I know what files need to be placed, but every time I copy & paste the contents the outcome is still the same just like what is shown in the photo below.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.01.07 - 19.48.01.21.png

Edited by navyBtown

vor 2 Stunden schrieb navyBtown:

Hey there I wander if someone can help me understand how to install the skins the right way. I know what files it needs to be placed, but every time I copy & paste the contents the out come is still the same just like what is shown in the photo below. 

Have you installed the common textures for jocko417´s skins?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314166/

48 minutes ago, navyBtown said:

I have but I'm not sure if I installed in the right order. My understanding is you need to place the common textures in the same folder as the skin you are wanting to use right?

No, you put the 'Common Textures' in the unit livery folder and not in the individual skin folder. For example mine is C:\Users\Christina\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Aircraft\VSN_F104G\Liveries\VSN_F104G\ ....Drop the Common Texture file folder here and you're good to go.

Mizzy

Edited by Mizzy

31 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

No, you put the 'Common Textures' in the unit livery folder and not in the individual skin folder. For example mine is C:\Users\Christina\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Aircraft\VSN_F104G\Liveries\VSN_F104G\ ....Drop the Common Texture file folder here and you're good to go.

Mizzy

SO just drop it in the VSN-F104G folder but not in its own?

1 hour ago, navyBtown said:

SO just drop it in the VSN-F104G folder but not in its own?

VSN_F104G\Liveries\VSN_F104G\...drop it here ! Don't drop it in any of the individual skin folders, that's where you went wrong. In fact just take the folder common textures out of the FG914 skin and drop it there as if it's a skin called common textures !

F-104 4.jpg

Hi navyBtown, Mizzy has it right, drop the Common Textures into the same folder you are putting each skin folder into, don't put it into the individual skin folder!

Should look something like the pic. In the same folder as all of the skins are installed into, NOT in the skin folders themselves.

Screenshot (51).png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

VSN_F104G\Liveries\VSN_F104G\...drop it here ! Don't drop it in any of the individual skin folders, that's where you went wrong. In fact just take the folder common textures out of the FG914 skin and drop it there as if it's a skin called common textures !

F-104 4.jpg

Sorry I meant to say do I need to have a common texture fold. I see what you’re saying sadly my mind is trying to make it harder than it needs to be, but I still can't get it to work. 😞