Current gen VR resolution SUXX!! Any hope..?

pappavis

I bought a Vive VR on releaseday. The immersion is fantastic. Its great for Luckys Tale & Elite Dangerous etc. HOWEVER, with DCS it suxx. Trying to spot a ground target, or reading cockpit instruments in DCS is downright horrible. The resolution is too low.

Graphics card aside, my main gripe with VR + DCS is resolution.

Hand controllers, naaaa I never used it. Like in.. maybe 15 minutes total.

1. Is there any hope for higher res, for example: HP Reverb?

2. Will it be compatible with SteamVR?

Edited by pappavis

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Yes the new headsets about to come out should have better resolution and clarity. Undoubtedly we will still want even more, but the tech is not quite there yet.

Ones I am watching that are coming soon:

Rift S

HP Reverb

Valve Index

I have been using a Rift CV1 for well over 2 years, for me the immersion far outweighs the drawbacks in resolution and clarity.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The Vive now is one of the headsets with the lowest resolution, if you get the Pro or a WMR like the Odyssey you would already see some improvement. Still, for reading instruments clearly we are not really there. The Pimax would be your best bet, and yes of course the new headsets coming out.

Yes.

Yeah, the Vive has a PPD of around 11-12, the HP reverb is reputedly around 25ppd. Once you hit 30ppd thats about current gen monitors (1080p), and 70ppd is retinal level resolution. But if you look at images at 30 vs 70 its hard to tell the difference.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I bought a Vive VR on releaseday. The immersion is fantastic. Its great for Luckys Tale & Elite Dangerous etc. HOWEVER, with DCS it suxx. Trying to spot a ground target, or reading cockpit instruments in DCS is downright horrible. The resolution is too low.

Graphics card aside, my main gripe with VR + DCS is resolution.

Hand controllers, naaaa I never used it. Like in.. maybe 15 minutes total.

I don’t have any of the problems in DCS that you mention. Are you using VR zoom?

It was terrible at DCS 1.5 and 2.0 but in 2.5 it got much better.

Now when flying Su-25A I can spot ground targets (depending from sun angle) from about 7-10km when sun glare reflects from their windows, or about 3-4km when shadows and commonly from 2-3km.

Those values (except glare) are way too long distances really.

In reality a pilot wouldn't really spot a camo painted vehicle past ~1000-1500 meters if it isn't about light, movement or shadow/shape.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

IRL and at 45 years of age I struggle to see other airliners at anything further than 10 miles unless they’re leaving contrails or I know exactly where to look. Even TCAS sometimes isn’t enough to help me out.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Once you hit 30ppd thats about current gen monitors (1080p).

yes, thats what i meant: at least to current gent 1080p would be a gamechanger.

I don’t have any of the problems in DCS that you mention. Are you using VR zoom?

No.. how can I activate it?

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Increasing the pixel density will help a lot with clarity, especially for reading cockpit labels and gauges.

However, with your GTX980 you won't get very far before you get significant performance issues.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

PD does indeed render instruments and text better , but at the expense , i think , of spotting . I have had my 1070 up to PD 1.4 with no performance issue . I now prefer to run at native resolution , for the above and other reasons , and hope the RIFT S will allow the best of both worlds .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Vive is not very good for DCS due to its low res screens.

I am running the Odyssey+ (had the vive, rift and original odyssey) and the + blows them all away. The Anti-SDE filter does wonders and I am able to read every bit of text and gauge in the cockpits, spot tankers at 23nm and fighters at 12-15nm. My PC is struggling to run it (new build coming) but it is working at least.

the HMDs will only get better resolution over time, but DCS will have issues running them, even on top of the line PCs.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

yes, thats what i meant: at least to current gent 1080p would be a gamechanger.

No.. how can I activate it?

Well thats the hype about the HP reverb and other 2160x2160 hmd's. 4x as many pixels as a rift/vive, plus they are RGB layout so 30% more subpixels too. You won't be able to run those with a 980 though.

VR zoom can be mapped under the UI tab (like an airplane)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Cool through-the-lens comparison:

Things are going to have to be a lot different for DCS to drive any of those headsets to their full potential. There's not enough computer power available to the consumer to brute-force those things at anything more that low graphics settings, and even then sometimes people have trouble getting the game playable even with top-of-the-line hardware

PD is a two-edged sword. PD is another term for supersampling, where the scene is rendered at a higher resolution than the HMD allows. As long as you are moving your head around, it gives you the impression that you are looking at a high-resolution world through a screen door. Problem is that edges are fluid and squirmy, this makes text hard to read. It can also wash out small objects, so it can be hard to spot things at a distance.

For low res headsets, I think text readability is a tad better if you *reduce* PD and add in a little MSAA, it seems to harden up edges a bit. So on my oculus I can either run a PD of 1.5, or MSAAx2 and PD 1.2. Performance is about the same but instrument legibility may be a tad better with the latter, plus there's less "shimmer"

You get used to it after a while. Yeah, I'd love to have higher res DDI's but when I think of what it would cost me in terms of hardware upgrades....

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Anybody ready for it to be May yet? LOL

The anticipation of new VR sets and DCS VR updates is killing me!

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Anybody ready for it to be May yet? LOL

The anticipation of new VR sets and DCS VR updates is killing me!

No kidding - I am really looking forward to seeing all the specs and pricing on the upcoming Valve Index.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|