Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

The problems still here,...

Instead of pulling the cable, try to restart 'Oculus VR Runtime Service'. Can be done by batch file also. I had no black screen in Rift S since 2-3 weeks.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having had problems with the mic cutting out and also starting to get a warning from the Oculus software that my USB drivers might need to be updated, I spent last night looking for solutions.

I had imaged my original Windows 7 install to a new 1TB SSD and then used the free upgrade to get to Windows 10 to be compatible with VR headsets. This wasn't a good way to go if you had Windows 7 USB drivers installed. Everything appeared to be working, but Oculus Rift S didn't like using my addon card USB 3 ports, only the motherboard/intel ports. So, I started with reading up on USB 3 drivers/Windows 10/Oculus problems and solutions. I ended up uninstalling/re-installing all of my USB related drivers multiple times before I was satisfied that all of the hubs/ports were working correctly up to full speed. This did not solve the mic cut-out problem, nor did it remove the warning that I needed to update my drivers, which were already fully up-to-date. But I did get to the point that I could connect the Rift S headset to any of my USB ports instead of just the motherboard's intel ports.

Scouring the internet again, I stumbled onto some advice about getting rid of the "update your drivers" warning: The display port of the gpu might not be compatible with the version needed for the Rift S. nVidia provides a firmware update for many of their cards with display ports to bring them up to the current standard. The GTX 1080 is one of the cards they may need a firmware update. I found the update through the nVidia support page search function (which matched the link I found on forums). I installed the firmware update. After restarting my PC, the update caution warning has disappeared and so far, the mic hasn't cut-out yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

The idea that it is the display port version supported by the gpu that has caused some of my problems makes very good sense to me. I didn't have these problems with the original Rift. One of the key differences is the display port connection of the Rift S replaced the hdmi connection of the original Rift.

But the results I am seeing now may be a fluke. All I can do is wait and see and keep this forum topic up-to-date with my results.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am not sure now.

Oculus pushed another update.

My device showed up with USB warning.

I restarted the PC and the warning went away.

But my mic died midway through a mission whereas last night, my mic didn't die at all and was still working when I shut the PC down for the night and again when I started it this afternoon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think most folks are now seeing that USB warning, I know my drivers are up to date to latest so think it may be something on Oculus' end they need to address.

It is not affecting my experience in any way I can tell.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So far no USB warning for me. But I did have to reset that annoying play zone thing last evening. (As usual I just logged the floor and skipped all the optional bits. It only took 30 seconds, so not too annoying).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instead of pulling the cable, try to restart 'Oculus VR Runtime Service'. Can be done by batch file also. I had no black screen in Rift S since 2-3 weeks.

its the same that unplug your usb from the PC. Video cable too, unpluged., and white flashes still here.

Its a Oculus software problem.

92 % of users in oculus forum answer about this and have this problem.

I think all users of OCULUS S have this issue, but they do not say anything or consider the problem negligible

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

I am so glad I took the VR dive and did it with the Rift S. I was initially going to go all in with the Vive Pro, but it was hard to justify the pricing. This purchase has been one of the best to enhance my DCS experience. It seems for the most part that everyone, in this thread, seems to be overall satisfied with their purchase as well.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I have problem with FPS locking at 21 or 28 no matter what I change setting in DCS or PD. Do you guys know what causes this ?

Post your system specs, as well as what graphics settings you are using in DCS and also any settings you have made in Nvidia control panel if running Nvidia GPU.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Rift S vs PD settings

Very interested I'm planning on moving up to the Rift S but have a question about something I noticed in the forums with the newer headsets including the Rift S. The newer headsets like Rift S, Index, Reverb all have higher resolutions than most of the first generation headsets.

The standard procedure with current headsets like the CV1 is to increase PD for a better resolution solution. However, it comes at a cost to performance. To get better performance it would seem the lower the PD the better.

I notice that with many of these newer headsets with better resolution that is native people are still cranking up PD settings to achieve better resolution which should be already there. Seems like they would be able to lower the PD to approximately 1.0 as the newer headsets already produce better clarity with higher resolution. Doesn't increasing PD just put a larger load on the CPU for nothing and cause the cards to perform a little less better due to the amount of pixels that higher PD setting must calculate and interpolate?

I probably am looking at this wrong, just need to know why you would increase PD with newer cards. I don't get it, help.

Thanks

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD

I think that only the Reverb with 2160p panels could be good enough to run at native resolution.

I’m like you, trying to choose a replacement for the CV1, and worried about the performance.

But from my experience, with CV1 a SS/ PD at 1.5 is a minimum.

I noticed that with Rift S some people seem to be happy with just 1.2/ 1.3...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Why? Because we can. Why shouldnt we adjust PD to get a better clarity? As long as the performance doesnt drop below a comfortable level it doesnt hurt. And since MSAA is eating a lot of performance, a higher PD is more efficient. In the end Its a balance. Start at 1.0 and increase as you go.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Hey everyone,

Oculus was kind enough to send us a couple Rift S kits to ensure best performance in DCS World. Based on the previews I've been reading from GDC, I was expecting more of a lateral quality move, with added inside-out tracking. However, compared to the Rift, I'm seeing a significantly higher resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I'm very impressed with the DCS World experience in the Rift S. Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier. If you are a Rift owner, I'd certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

Oculus has not asked me to write this, nor compensated in any way. I'm just a bit giddy after just flying with it.

Also, I’m sure you’re asking: where is the VR performance boost!? It’s coming. The VR optimization of the Caucasus map is done, and now the team is optimizing the other maps for improved VR performance. Once done and tested, we’ll release this in a future Open Beta.

I'm starting a new sticky for this impressive device.

Thanks

Sold! This will be a very nice upgrade and well worth €400.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Very interested I'm planning on moving up to the Rift S but have a question about something I noticed in the forums with the newer headsets including the Rift S. The newer headsets like Rift S, Index, Reverb all have higher resolutions than most of the first generation headsets.

The standard procedure with current headsets like the CV1 is to increase PD for a better resolution solution. However, it comes at a cost to performance. To get better performance it would seem the lower the PD the better.

I notice that with many of these newer headsets with better resolution that is native people are still cranking up PD settings to achieve better resolution which should be already there. Seems like they would be able to lower the PD to approximately 1.0 as the newer headsets already produce better clarity with higher resolution. Doesn't increasing PD just put a larger load on the CPU for nothing and cause the cards to perform a little less better due to the amount of pixels that higher PD setting must calculate and interpolate?

I probably am looking at this wrong, just need to know why you would increase PD with newer cards. I don't get it, help.

Thanks

You are gonna want some anti-aliasing and for whatever reason (? deferred rendering) MSAA isn't any more efficient than PD in DCS. The effect is subtly different (I guess), some like one, some like the other, some like a little of both. Pick your poison I guess. Main thing is, if you decide to go with supersampling, remember PD *is* supersampling, don't make two or three passes with it. The in-game adjustment is plenty

Weird thing about supersampling is, it's kind of a U shaped curve. A year ago people were all about pushing it as high as it would go, 1.6 not uncommon, some running 1.8. As you get much above 1.4 text gets hard to read and objects get hard to spot. While the load on your GPU goes up exponentially. Which is probably why people use both. So people seem to be favoring lower PD's these days, and if they want more they add in MSAA. And I will say, MSAAx4 looks pretty awesome if you have the horsepower to drive it

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Have mine set at 1.6 and AA x8

Windows 10 Pro | i5-8600K | MSI Tomahawk Z370 | 48GB DDR4-3000 A-DATA (LED) | EVGA Superclocked 2 GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | 256GB M.2 NVe A-DATA | 512GB M.2 NVe A-DATA | HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 | Thrustmaster Warthog, CH Pedals Oculus Rift S VR

I am here today, for just a quick note.

I went and picked up a Rift S today at the local big box store, after dropping my CV1 on the floor a couple weeks ago. It got smashed good.

I have had the DK2, CV1, and now, the Rift S. Wow!

Not only does it look better, it runs better.

So for anyone who has been on the fence, jump over, grab a beer and a burger, and lets party.

Oh, the F/A-18 OMFG! And it fits my glasses perfect.

So for $400, I think its a steel.

Now back to it.

Dont Wait!

Having played DCS mostly on the original rift CV1 (i really like the immersion, 1-1 head tracking has it's benefits for close in SA over flat monitors) i have upgraded to the Rift S 4 days ago, rather than write a knee jerk impression i wanted to test it out properly first.

For those that are doubting the jump and or waiting for the next level, your missing out - the txt is super clear now on all MFD's, no more VR zoom or leaning in, the screen door effect is also greatly reduced. I can now visually ID aircraft and ground targets, and the best bit is whilst i have a pretty decent PC spec it hasn't killed my FPS - infact i haven't noticed a difference! Wags was correct its a pleasant surprise and those that have never flown VR, prepare to fall in love with DCS all over again!

All i will say is for those that currently fly non VR / or those already that already do, either way upgrade now as you will not be disappointed.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Having played DCS mostly on the original rift CV1 (i really like the immersion, 1-1 head tracking has it's benefits for close in SA over flat monitors) i have upgraded to the Rift S 4 days ago, rather than right a knee jerk impression i wanted to test it out properly first.

For those that are doubting the jump and or waiting for the next level, your missing out - the txt is super clear now on all MFD's, no more VR zoom or leaning in, the screen door effect is also greatly reduced. I can now visually ID aircraft and ground targets, and the best bit is whilst i have a pretty decent PC spec it hasn't killed my FPS - infact i havent noticed a difference! Wags was correct its a pleasant surprise and those that have never flown VR, prepare to fall in love with DCS all over again!

All i will say is for those that currently fly non VR / or those already that already do, either way upgrade now as you will not be disappointed.

:thumbup:

Yes I found the image clarity substantially improved in the Rift S over the Rift CV1.

More so than I thought it would be, I was pleasantly surprised.

Don B

I have my virtual finger poised on the buy-now. As soon as they fixed that white flashing problem - count me in.

I know it's not a huge issue, and it wouldn't bother me *too* much. But there's a small chance it's a hardware problem which can't be fixed without replacing the headset which would likely cost me the return shipping. I check the oculus forums daily for updates, looks like they're all getting a bit annoyed with the time its taking to fix the problem.

Flashing problem is really overrated. Some reviewer on Youtube saw it once and decided to emphasize it to get more views. Now happy haters, who don't even own rift s, run around forums telling stories about how bad flashing problem is. That's how internetz work these days

I have my virtual finger poised on the buy-now. As soon as they fixed that white flashing problem - count me in.

I know it's not a huge issue, and it wouldn't bother me *too* much. But there's a small chance it's a hardware problem which can't be fixed without replacing the headset which would likely cost me the return shipping. I check the oculus forums daily for updates, looks like they're all getting a bit annoyed with the time its taking to fix the problem.

I own the rift s, and i can tell you that it does not bother me at all. Some days it wont even appear or just appear once the first 5 minutes and go away for the rest of a 4 hours session. Also by the looks of it, it seems software related to this, like the headset want to load for a fraction of a second the white scenary you see when you put it on and is loading the home. Just speculation from my side of course it could be hardware related, dont listen to me XD.

Button line is, im a happy customer and the headset works greats so far in long play sessions.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Yesterday I bought a Rift S with option of returning it. Cost €449.

I had a Vive since release May-2016. The Rift S is VERY nice improvement. I was reluctant at first, pushed off, waited for more reviews..

Buy it.

Rift S: First impressions particular to DCS World;

* Inside out tracking works flawless . No external sensors needed.

* Resolution, able to read digital displays on the F-18C, cockpit panel text. This is HUGE for DCS world!!

--> GREATLY improvement over the HTC Vive!!

* No more freezes, no frame drops, super smooth compared to my HTC Vive.

* Screendoor - doesnt bother me. Didnt notice it.

* God-rays - none, if any atall,

* Integrated 3D audio works well, sounds tinny, can be heard by others but sound is focused on your head.

* Spotting ground targets trucks/tanks from <>3,500m finally possible!! >:(

* One can flick switches, press knobs using the Touch controllers, the Vive wasnt supported in DCS.

* Touch controllers is for me getting used to.

* Negative point: My eyes get tired after a few minutes, couldbe IPD-related.

* All my SteamVR Vive-games works flawless the Rift S.

* Setup & install is childs play; only 2 wires: 1x displayport & 1x USB 3.0

Overall: At €449 BUY!

After >=3yrs using a HTC Vive i can say. get the Rift S, for DCS its a worthy upgrade. For me.

Prices;

- Rift S: €449

- HP Reverb Pro: €650, consumer version to be <>€550.

- Valve Index: €560 (add another €200 for lighthouses!)

Test on my machine specs:

- CPU: Intel i7 4790 3,8Ghz , 16GB memory

- GFx card: Nvidia Geforce GTX98 4Gb memory

- Disk: loaded from SSD.

- Oculus Home requires 13,5Gb disk space on C;, cannot be moved, must be on C: :o

Edited by pappavis

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Hi Pappavis - loooong time no see :) (about 13 years, I think)

Cuplla quick points on your post - 1st, you don't have to put Oculus Home on your C drive - you can choose where to put it, and then choose a different drive to that for your games. (mine are on E: and M: drives).

Also - for large IPD Rift S is quite poor, due to a much narrower FoV.

I agree with everything you said, though - but I didn't like the audio (like you said, it's tinny and I really don't like that on any audio).

Guess you'll be doing a lot of VR flying now you can see properly!

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Flashing problem is really overrated. Some reviewer on Youtube saw it once and decided to emphasize it to get more views. Now happy haters, who don't even own rift s, run around forums telling stories about how bad flashing problem is. That's how internetz work these days

I wouldn't say it's overrated. I get at least a couple every play session since launch. I know I'm not the only one. It's a minor annoyance, but still kind of unacceptable so long after launch from a company with deep pockets like FB.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV