Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Partially related question: i might jump on the VR bandwagon too, but i fear my neck will be destroyed by dogfighting. How hard is it on the neck relative to trackir?
You do have to twist around as in real life so if it goes on for a while your neck can ache ( better to have the target in front ). But there is no g so it's way easier.

The massive advantage vs track IR is that you know where the aircraft is under you unlike TIR so you can fly more by feel.

Unless I am doing Friday night fights guns only I have never noticed any neck strain

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I pulled the trigger on one. FYI, Microsoft Store offers a student discount if any of you want 10% off. Really didn't expect to be getting a new headset so soon, but I'm pumped! I'm pretty immune to the honeymoon effect as well...if it's not a clear leap over the CV1, I'll probably send it back. Will post my impressions eventually.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

It's either optics are much better (plausible, Rift engineers know what they are doing) or honeymoon period (potentially).

I'll tell you on Thursday, as I am immune to honeymoon effect, have all new VR headsets coming as soon as they are released, so no bias.

There might be an honeymoon effect to some extent, but it's a fact that picture is definitely much sharper and gauges much more readable than in CV1. This is probably mainly thanks to the subpixel architecture which is classical RGB vs. PenTile for many other headsets.

Now after testing a bit more I noticed that this seems only true for the central part of the image. Looking off center at around 50% of the distance to the edge, the sharpness seems to degrade significantly. Probably because of the lenses.

Maybe this was also the case with CV1 but less noticeable because the overall sharpness was much lower.

I don't know if I'm the only one noticing this...

Edited by dax

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Now after testing a bit more I noticed that this seems only true for the central part of the image. Looking off center at around 50% of the distance to the edge, the sharpness seems to degrade significantly. Probably because of the lenses.

Maybe this was also the case with CV1 but less noticeable because the overall sharpness was much lower.

I don't know if I'm the only one noticing this...

Common to all VR headsets, known as the "sweet spot". Some are larger than others. 50% is definitely bigger than the Rift's, and people are saying the S's sweet spot is larger, so that's good news. PSVR has the biggest sweet spot I've ever seen in a headset because they don't use fresnels.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

There is a cockpit mod that offers new textures for the Rio and pilot instruments in the cockpit. Even in the Odyssey i had to put gamma at 1.9 to make the original readable. With a PD of 1.5.

Awesome I will grab and install after work! Thanks for the info mate. :thumbup:

Awesome I will grab and install after work! Thanks for the info mate. :thumbup:

I believe this is the mod you are looking for:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=238208

:music_whistling:

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

My xp whit rift s

I can read everything, i really like it and thats the upgrade i was waiting for to play decent in vr, now i dont need to think and learn where the switch is... now i can read where the switch is whitout problem,

somme small text i can't read in the m2000c :) but there, everything is so small...

The smallest text on f14 is difficult to whitout leaning in.

Spotting is so mutch better..

And everything looks so mutch more beatifull because off the sharpnes.

(I was blown away that i can read in the black shark the alarm bord at the top .. i never could read that in cv1 whithout getting closer .. now i can read it, its still a bit concentration to read it whitout leaning...)

And the text on the kneeboard. Wauw on the white part it looks so sharp.. i can read every small text whitout problem from the airfield shart

I am so happy, the future for dcs and vr is starting to get there :) now the performance update... and than the fast flyby gosting will hopfully be gonne because that is the only isseu i have at the moment when i was dogfighting, but thats because of my performance..

Most of time i have 40 fps running an i7 2700k on 4.6oc ..16gig ram... gtx 1800..

Somme small dips to 30fps.

Most settings high

1.4 pd,

shadows low

2x msa

Verry happy whit the vr and i will keep on supporting dcs whit everything thats they bring into dcs,

because i really like what there are doing.

Thanks

Lots off love..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J510FN met Tapatalk

I believe this is the mod you are looking for:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=238208

:music_whistling:

Awesome mod there buddy, love it!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Wow this seems like a newer one than what I was using. I'll definitely install it at some point.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Cheers, Jav

Fact is, after I've tied up the loose ends and push the final release I'm now struggling to choose which pit is next for a makeover...because thanks to the Rift S, I'm not sure cockpit legibility is gonna be an issue moving forward!

Which is a great place to be for all of us VR heads! :pilotfly:

Brick.

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Oculus Rift S arrived today - just finished a 2-3 hour session flying around.

All Subjective Observations

Measure of Suitability (MOS):

1. No observable CPU or GPU increase

2. Works fine with DCS Open Beta (2.5.4.30386)

3. Certainly an increase in Visual Acuity over Oculus Rift CV1

4. The sound (ambient speakers) is adequate.

5. First time I found and used my GPU Display Ports

6. Software IPD adjustment works fine (I'm on the low end)

7. I tried wearing my glasses - no problem - in fact fits better

Measure of Effectiveness (MOE)

1. (to whomever said it) - I did notice a slight drop in acuity over time but haven't isolated whether that's a MTBF thing or my own constant OFF/ON headset (read: eye) adjustments

2. While the sound is adequate, using your own (maybe high dollar) audio headset is out-of-the-question with the larger, halo-like head band.

3. Very comfortable compared to CV1

The inability to use my own personal audio headset over top of the the Rift S, may be my only NOGO and has me on the fence - but then again I can read the MPCD in the Hornet and almost every label in the Tomcat, so... time will tell.

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

Happy to hear that you all are enjoying the Rift S as much as I am!

You weren't joking were you, Wags!

It was your OP on this thread that sold me into a no questions pre-order. Prior to that I was somewhat sceptical regarding the S.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Partially related question: i might jump on the VR bandwagon too, but i fear my neck will be destroyed by dogfighting. How hard is it on the neck relative to trackir?

Harder on your back and core muscles than the neck in my opinion. Multiple injuries on all 3 areas but it’s full immersion. Some cheat with a swivel chair.:thumbup:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I want it badly, though I haven't flown in a while due to relocation, but I am seeing that Rift S doesn't allow you to use a separate headset. That's a concern as I like the blotting out the noises around me with my Arctic. VR is so immersive but my concern is how much will the experience be tainted by all the ambient noises in the house around me that I currently don't have.

Thoughts?

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Disregard, I pulled the trigger. It was 372.29 after tax with my BB card, with a 30 day return so what the hey :)

Now anybody want to buy an Oculus CV 1:)

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Disregard, I pulled the trigger. It was 372.29 after tax with my BB card, with a 30 day return so what the hey :)

Nice! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

It is the same for both.

So presumably the touch controllers still work in DCS?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I was going to mention that any of you in Canada, the Microsoft Store will give you 10% off the Rift S right now if you're currently a student. (I'm doing distance learning @ Stanford in their AI Lab/CS and didn't use my .edu email, just my Gmail one, and I qualified last year for the Odyssey+ student discount and they accepted my creds still for the Rift S).

Just and FYI for any Canadians that are in school or want to sign up for online/school, that there is a small but helpful discount available for those who qualify. They offer express shipping for 10 dollars too, 1-2 biz days, mine gets here tomorrow and I ordered last night.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1