Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Im waiting so much for the first user reviews here at the forum. I would like to know what is the improvement in visual clarity and sweetspot. If most of the people here agree on the improvement i will go for it.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it suppose to be available earlier? May 6 on official site:

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/mixed-reality-headset/index.html

I was quite disappointed to discover this the other day

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3900857&postcount=383

It might not be too bad, but I've had my CV1 for three years and I've run out of patience to wait any longer. I figure I'll live with the S for a while then let the Reverb settle in and then have another look down the line.

Edited by John Hargreaves

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I found these clip on units for PSVR,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0735X5M4X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which I think might ease the pain before Oculus give in and release a decent audio solution.

That looks like a good option - thanks for the link.

I bought some in-ear buds myself which arrived yesterday, for the S. On first test they are not that good for music - but that's okay, I have to test them with sims yet.

PS: Only 16 days.... :pilotfly:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

The sound quality is my biggest worry with the S. Even the 'polite' reviews based on Oculus supplying free review units early have noted the step back in sound quality and quickly moved on.

The sound is mine as well.

The CV1 headphones really surprised by the quality, no need or wish to anything else with it. But lets be honest, while they are easy to set and doesn't hurt ears by pressure, the integrated speakers do make interesting idea in Rift S.

I would have thought that they would had a compatibility for CV1 headphones/earplugs by that fancy connection, a side of 3.5mm jack, but if they are good instead Lenovo quality (Lenovo do has Dolby Surround experience with their tablets etc, amazing sound really, but they as well broke audio with firmware update that you got only 30% volume afterwards and no warranty to fix that... Those little.... Why I totally dislike idea of Lenovo partnership!) then there ain't problem.

Now, if the readability in cockpits gets fixed with S, then great upgrade for the money!

In next 3-5 years there is good to see something far more HW demanding I'm VR, unless we get 2-3x increase in userbase, that is Oculus goal...

We can't have over 1500€ upgrades requirements Everytime new HMD appears in 1-3 years pacing. That is simply impossible.

So enthusiasts can in my opinion suffer from low frame rates, low graphical qualities and high prices for hardware to run their high image quality HMD, but there are better ways to enjoy VR with "lower tier" HMD like Rift S.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I just received my pair of Klipsch Earbuds. They are the R6 II earphones. Tried them out in my motherboard's front audio connector, and was quite pleased with the sound. Nice bass as well.

If the Rift S audio is anywhere near as good with using these earbuds I will be very pleased.

Now to find a Display Port to HDMI adapter that might work for the Rift S. On my case I have a front HDMI port and USB 3 port just for VR, which is what I have my Rift CV1 plugged into.

Very convenient.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Now to find a Display Port to HDMI adapter that might work for the Rift S.

I believe I saw somewhere that the S comes with the adapter. Oops, no thats a Display Port to Display Port Mini adapter it comes with.

So we will need a HDMI Male to Display Port female adapter I guess??

Edited by Mad Dog 7.62

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I believe I saw somewhere that the S comes with the adapter.

Hmm I have not seen that anywhere, would certainly be nice if it did.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hmm I have not seen that anywhere, would certainly be nice if it did.
I think it's a mini display port to display port adapter. I would also have to check if my gpu has available display ports.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I believe I saw somewhere that the S comes with the adapter.

Some sort of a display adapter here.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

There is an displayport to mini displayport adapter in the box. I'm not sure that rift s work with an displayport to hdmi adapter, surely is not officially supported.

I read it somewhere but i don't remember where...sorry :(

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

I believe I saw somewhere that the S comes with the adapter. Oops, no thats a Display Port to Display Port Mini adapter it comes with.

So we will need a HDMI Male to Display Port female adapter I guess??

Yeah or something like that lol.

Don B

There is an displayport to mini displayport adapter in the box. I'm not sure that rift s work with an displayport to hdmi adapter, surely is not officially supported.

I read it somewhere but i don't remember where...sorry :(

That would be unfortunate if it did not work, sure would make easy access for me if it would work.

I can still use one of my Display Ports on back of my GPU, would just leave it plugged in all the time then.

Don B

Yeah I have done a little more research and it looks like you can't adapt from HDMI to Display Port....you can go the other way, but thats not what we need. So yea, the DP port on the card it will be.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

I am not much of a computer geek.

I have thunderbolt 3 port on my system beside the hdmi port, so I am wondering if the thunderbolt port would serve as a display port for the Oculus rift S.

Thanks in advance fellows.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I am not much of a computer geek.

I have thunderbolt 3 port on my system beside the hdmi port, so I am wondering if the thunderbolt port would serve as a display port for the Oculus rift S.

Thanks in advance fellows.

As i know same thing about hdmi. Can work but not officially supported if i remember well...

As i know same thing about hdmi. Can work but not officially supported if i remember well...

Thunderbolt 3 natively supports display port protocol and can drive up to 4k@120Hz display. It should be fine.

The problem with HDMI (even with adapter) is that the most common HDMI 1.4 does not support the bandwidth required for Rift S (2560×1440@80Hz).

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thunderbolt 3 natively supports display port protocol and can drive up to 4k@120Hz display. It should be fine.

The problem with HDMI (even with adapter) is that the most common HDMI 1.4 does not support the bandwidth required for Rift S (2560×1440@80Hz).

Thanks. At least I be rest assured the thunderbolt 3 port will be okay with the rift S

Yeah I have done a little more research and it looks like you can't adapt from HDMI to Display Port....you can go the other way, but thats not what we need. So yea, the DP port on the card it will be.

Bugger, sure would have been nice if I could have done that.

Well I will just have to plan on connecting it directly to the GPU then.

Thanks for the info.

Don B

I'm guessing one would need to unplug their monitor if they only have one display port on their card. I just checked my card and I have 2 HDMI and 2 display port 1.4 ports.

Which is odd if you only had one display port as you would wonder how you would you launch all the apps you need then unplug your monitor unless there is a way through the Oculus software to access your desktop like wmr does.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Are you using the VirtualLink Adapter for USB/HDMI or did you use the Vive Link Box / DIY variant of it?

Since VirtualLink supports DisplayPort, I would assume there will be an DP adapter available soon.

Here is the old HDMI Variant

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Are you using the VirtualLink Adapter for USB/HDMI or did you use the Vive Link Box / DIY variant of it?

Since VirtualLink supports DisplayPort, I would assume there will be an DP adapter available soon.

Here is the old HDMI Variant

That would be nice if it did. I have my two Rift sensors plugged into the Virtual Link port, tracking is solid as can be. I also had my Rift display plugged into it, but since getting this new build and case I just have been using the front HDMI and USB 3 port for the headset.

Don B

Well I pulled the trigger on an S. Should have it in hand May 23. Thought about selling my CV1 but they are only going for about $200 on E-Bay right now so I might just give it to my son.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Oculus S Pre-Ordered.

Sending my CV1 to a squad mate in Hawaii so he can experience VR and throw up a bit.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

awesome, lots of us getting the rift S. I recently went back to CV1 until the Rift S gets here on the 22. Odyssey + just runs like crap. Oculus software just works better with DCS and thats all i care about.:thumbup:

PS whats everybody going to do for Headset sound with this thing? Here the little speakers suck on it

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

awesome, lots of us getting the rift S. I recently went back to CV1 until the Rift S gets here on the 22. Odyssey + just runs like crap. Oculus software just works better with DCS and thats all i care about.:thumbup:

PS whats everybody going to do for Headset sound with this thing? Here the little speakers suck on it

I ordered Klipsch earbuds (in ear).

Been using the Oculus Earbuds shortly after getting my Rift and loved them.

Don B