Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Be sure to check the possible USB problem i mentioned here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4131180&postcount=1929

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not be a real USB problem but more of a power problem, hard to tell.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

It might not be a real USB problem but more of a power problem, hard to tell.

Yes, maybe. But it seems the Virtual Link port provides more power than USB 3.0 from what I could gather. I would be surprised if it wasn't enough, but who knows?

Received an update for the Rift-S today through the Beta Channel (only software, no firmware this time if i followed correctly).

When i pressed the What's New button i got the same message as last time, that the update went to V12 but what was actually updated or new was not mentioned. Where do i find the Rift-S Beta update log?

The ones i found are for the non beta version and dates back to 11/11/2019.

@Fred00: i really have no such issues you're facing - i am using a frontside usb3 port though (not on the graphics card)

@golani79: for me the internal speakers weren't good enough - so i added those to my headset:

picture.php?albumid=1499&pictureid=11420

picture.php?albumid=1499&pictureid=11421

i used the speaker-holder printed from this here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3615447

speaking of comfortability: this is a great addition to the headset and improves sound massively (depending on the speakers of course ;) )

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

Received an update for the Rift-S today through the Beta Channel (only software, no firmware this time if i followed correctly).

When i pressed the What's New button i got the same message as last time, that the update went to V12 but what was actually updated or new was not mentioned. Where do i find the Rift-S Beta update log?

The ones i found are for the non beta version and dates back to 11/11/2019.

Software and firmware upgrade is what I received. Firmware version now 2.2.0

From the posted update log:

Rift S

• Updated firmware to improve performance

Fixes

• Various bug fixes and stability improvements

Software and firmware upgrade is what I received. Firmware version now 2.2.0

From the posted update log:

Rift S

• Updated firmware to improve performance

Fixes

• Various bug fixes and stability improvements

I think the "meat on the bones" from this update was more for Quest.

They have unified the version numbers of Rift and Quest updates.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@Fred00: i really have no such issues you're facing - i am using a frontside usb3 port though (not on the graphics card).

Okay, I'll see what my brother thinks of it. Maybe I'm just really picky (but I don't think so).

I'm thinking that I might go over to him and install it and see how it works. After all his house is only 3 minutes away by car. :)

If it works on his computer then I guess that the next step is to switch out my old MSi motherboard.

Edited by Fred00

They have unified the version numbers of Rift and Quest updates.

That's what they mentioned for the previous update already.

Wave shimmering on black surfaces:

I notice some wave shimmering around black objects in the cockpit (A-10C and F-16, in de F-16 around the 2 little vertical displays besides the HUD where on the left the AOA lights are shown and on the other side the NWS). I only noticed this as of yesterday, since the software/firmware update of the Rift-S that i received yesterday. Happens every time i enter the cockpit, weird thing is that it vanishes after a few minutes.

Might have another cause then the Rift-S software/firmware since i also updated the DCS beta and Skatezilla's Update utility because i haven't seen it in the Live4Speed racing game i currently play a bit in VR.

Edited by Lange_666

PD & MSAA

Hello all,

I also just ordered the Rift S... and new to VR...

I understodd that PD is set via the debug tool but I have no clue where is MSAA and therefore how to change values of it?

Is that directly in DCS or in DebugTool?

If in DCS, is there a way outside of DCS to also set that so that other games run i.e. MSAA at x2 ?

Thanks for your help.

rgds

Hello all,

I understodd that PD is set via the debug tool but I have no clue where is MSAA and therefore how to change values of it?

If in DCS, is there a way outside of DCS to also set that so that other games run i.e. MSAA at x2 ?

Thanks for your help.

rgds

DCS has its own setting for MSAA . Nvidea Control Panel and Inspector has various AA settings you can apply for games that do not have native AA .

And to muddy the waters , some are now claiming that Nvidea settings now affect DCS as well , with the benefit of less cost to performance . I could not that confirm that a year or so ago , but have not tried those lately .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

rgds

PD is set in the game GUI. You can set it in Oculus with either the debug tool or Oculus Tray Tool (SS).

MSAA is set in the game GUI.

AA or MSAA is game dependent, not set in Oculus software.

Best to apply in game GUI, as it is in VR those settings in Nvidia Control Panel do not have an effect.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

DCS has its own setting for MSAA . Nvidea Control Panel and Inspector has various AA settings you can apply for games that do not have native AA .

And to muddy the waters , some are now claiming that Nvidea settings now affect DCS as well , with the benefit of less cost to performance . I could not that confirm that a year or so ago , but have not tried those lately .

Thank you very much for your response.

One more question, does DCS settings overides settings in debugtool or Nvidia control panel?

rgds

Just recently, in the past two weeks, I have noticed some jerkiness in the Rift-S. I have never had an issue before. I rolled back drivers and that did not work. It is something to do with the Oculus program itself. It really started after these last firmware updates. It sucks and it is just enough to make it annoying. I am guess it will have to be another firmware patch.

Firstly , a belated welcome to the forums !

I can't really answer the Debug question as i only use it to turn off "Adaptive GPU Performance" as it seems to help on MY system .

My experience is in conformity with dburne's , in that Nvidea AA settings have no effect on DCS , but some swear otherwise on these forums . The only settings i change from default are "Power=max performance" , and "performance" settings in graphics quality vs performance setting .(I'm only running a 1070)

As my 'puter is used for DCS exclusively , i'm really not qualified to discuss optimising settings across games , but dburne is . If he doesn't check in here again , you might pm him .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just recently, in the past two weeks, I have noticed some jerkiness in the Rift-S. I have never had an issue before. I rolled back drivers and that did not work. It is something to do with the Oculus program itself. It really started after these last firmware updates. It sucks and it is just enough to make it annoying. I am guess it will have to be another firmware patch.

Yeah , gotta love Oculus forced updates , with no reversion possible :cry:

I am on version 12 and so far no ill effect on my end.

Don B

I don't like to not having an option to decide for myself to update or not or roll back when needed. For me that's a bit of a drawback.

(Another thing i don't really like is the cable quality. Too stiff in my opinion. There's better quality cable around then this one.)

Edited by Lange_666

Wave shimmering on black surfaces:

I notice some wave shimmering around black objects in the cockpit (A-10C and F-16, in de F-16 around the 2 little vertical displays besides the HUD where on the left the AOA lights are shown and on the other side the NWS). I only noticed this as of yesterday, since the software/firmware update of the Rift-S that i received yesterday. Happens every time i enter the cockpit, weird thing is that it vanishes after a few minutes.

Found out when this effect shows: If there is something dark or black in the cockpit (like left and right of the UFC in the A-10C or the vertical displays beside the HUD in the F-16C) and the background for these is also dark but not as dark, you get some sort blurring of the edges in a sort of a wave effect. Noticed it the first time in the A-10C when flying low over the ocean after take-off and the ocean is quite dark grey at that moment (in the F-16 it were the black skidmarks on the runway that did it). The blur and wave effect are gone as soon as the background becomes lighter. In the A-10C it was the transition from ocean to sky as background, in the F-16 when the skidmarks moved under the aircraft and the runway became light grey again.

Okay, so today my brother came over and tested the Rift S. He could also easily see the problems with jumpy image. We then packed up the Rift S and went over to his house to test it on his computer.

My system:

RTX 2080 Ti

His system:

GTX 1080

After we connected it and started up the intro we could quite quickly see that it behaved exactly the same. Only conclusion then is that either my Rift S is broken, or they are all like this. My brother agreed that it doesn't feel like faulty/broken hardware. It feels more like tracking cameras are not good enough or maybe a software problem.

So, could you guys please test this:

Load up any plane in DCS. Do a strafing motion with your head, left, right, left, right. The Rift S seems to have a problem transitioning from one direction to another without the picture doing some hickup/stutter. Therefore, it's most easily seen when doing short movements (left/right or up/down).

Please test and report back. :)

Oh, by the way. We started up his old Rift CV1, and although the tracking is not 100% perfect in that either, it's definitely more stable than the Rift S.

Edited by Fred00