Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Sooo....many here have reported no performance loss when upgrading to a Rift S from the CV1 . Thing is they were all running 2080ti's , so i was concerned about GPU headroom masking higher performance requirements .

I received my S today , and am happy to report that even with a 1070 , the S performs every bit as well as my CV1 -maybe better !

One odd thing about the setup i should mention is that when plugging into the usb connection on my Innatek card ( with the CV1 & sensors still plugged in) setup would not recognise the S . When i plugged it into a motherboard usb , it was recognised right away .

Quite a scare , but now....me so happy :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

Congrats guys!

Loving my Rift S and have been enjoying almost daily for several months now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Jumping on this Rift s bandwagon. I really don't think I've made a better purchase in ages. It's really changing everything for me. Between DCS and Xplane it's been amazing.

Sure I feel like I have a world of settings to tweak, and have been spending hours toggling between PD values etc, but overall its still incredible to me how much better it is than flying flat panel.

Jumping on this Rift s bandwagon. I really don't think I've made a better purchase in ages. It's really changing everything for me. Between DCS and Xplane it's been amazing.

Sure I feel like I have a world of settings to tweak, and have been spending hours toggling between PD values etc, but overall its still incredible to me how much better it is than flying flat panel.

Welcome to the forum !

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

:thumbup:

Is it indeed quite awesome! Good choice with the Rift S , solid device.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

i frankly cannot wait. I just bought a Rift S at lunch. Last night while flying in instrument conditions down to minimums I had had it with trying to zoom in to seeing my baro setting. Using NOiD's Warthog Hotas joystick profile I didn't have a way to zoom in with VR. I'm now done and glad I bit the bullet. Now I will have to see how my existing system behaves, AMD Ryzen 5 1900 32GB of RAM and a 1080ti card...

Thanks for the reviews and Matt's glowing review (unabashed) as that sealed my fate at the checkout line.

i frankly cannot wait. I just bought a Rift S at lunch. Last night while flying in instrument conditions down to minimums I had had it with trying to zoom in to seeing my baro setting. Using NOiD's Warthog Hotas joystick profile I didn't have a way to zoom in with VR. I'm now done and glad I bit the bullet. Now I will have to see how my existing system behaves, AMD Ryzen 5 1900 32GB of RAM and a 1080ti card...

Thanks for the reviews and Matt's glowing review (unabashed) as that sealed my fate at the checkout line.

Your gpu can handle rift quite well

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Total noob question from me since I just picked up a rift s as my first VR headset. Which version of DCS should I be launching? I own the steam version of DCS, so do I:

1. Launch Oculus Home and launch the plain DCS World?

2. Launch Steam VR and select DCS world for Steam VR?

3. Launch Steam VR and select the second VR option (Steam VR for 2.5 DCS World is what I believe it is called?)

A bit confusing to me since owning the Steam version causes so many layers of software to be running.

Launch oculus home

Launch steam

Launch Dcs. A pop up menu will prompt you to choose. Click on the oculus VR version.

Stay away from steam VR

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Just got my Rift S yesterday and managed to test a bit in DCS before it got too late.

I'm sure it has been discussed before, but is there any real benefit to use both PD increase and MSAA? I had my PD at 1.7-2.0 and switched between no MSAA and 2x and 4x, but I couldn't really tell any big difference. Granted, this was only a very quick test before bed time (will test more tonight) but what is your experience?

Btw, do you run with ASW auto or off? I have a 2080 Ti but suspect that I can't max out everything and expect to hold 80 fps. Is it best to lower the settings until I can hold 80 fps minimum, or run higher settings and accept som ASW activation?

I used to run ASW set to Auto but i changed that to 45 FPS fix (40 actual on the Rift-S) because when on Auto the moment it switches between 40 to 80 and back it stutters slightly. I prefer no stutter over 80 FPS.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Using Voice Attack, I have bind vocal commands to change mode during the flight:

VR Mode 1:RCTRL + Num Pad 1 (80 Hz AWS off)

VR Mode 2:RCTRL + Num Pad 2 (45 Hz AWS off) (useless but...)

VR Mode 3:RCTRL + Num Pad 3 (45 Hz AWS forced ON)

VR Mode 4:RCTRL + Num Pad 4 (Auto)

I tend to play in mode 1 but switch to mode 4 when it will be clear that AWS could be required.

And mode 3 if it is even more clear that more than 40Hz is impossible and want to avoid potential switch between 40/80Hz and the stutter. Seems complicated but it becomes quickly a reflex.

Note that I set the commands to answer OK as a feedback to be sure. Same for enabling/disabling the labels on MP servers for better identification.

No need to have a Voice Attack Licence for that. The free version can do the job

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Seems I have big problems. F-16C quick start mission "Takeoff" gives me about 30 fps, sometimes dipping to 25. That's with PD 1.0 and using "High" graphics preset.

My system: 4790K CPU and RTX 2080 Ti.

What the hell could be wrong?

Disable all shadows, it should be better.

If it solves your issue and you feel bad about the workaround, me too...

In the wish list forum, I suggested to have dedicated settings for cockpit shadows and vehicules shadows.

Here if you wish add a +1:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256084

Edited by Chapa

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Seems I have big problems. F-16C quick start mission "Takeoff" gives me about 30 fps, sometimes dipping to 25. That's with PD 1.0 and using "High" graphics preset.

Um I wouldn't use "high" graphics. I'd turn shadows down etc. I'd start with Low and work your way up. Otherwise, my best guess is the CPU thats 5 generations out of date. Yes I'm sure its fine GHZ wise, but its not all about the cycles. Things like cache, archictecture, pipes etc all make large impacts on real world performance. Plus I'm sure the intel security fixes aren't doing you any favors in terms of performance.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Try turning off the datalink and see if that helps. I’m not on VR but datalink on the f16 kills my FPS by 10-20

Thanks for your replies. I have tested some more. I clicked the "Low" graphics preset and set kept PD at 1.0. Everything looks like crap and in the Hornet over Batumi the FPS is fluctuating between 40-70 fps. That can't possibly be right?

Should I delete the shaders and FXO cache (or what it's called)? I've read something about that before.

Thanks for your replies. I have tested some more. I clicked the "Low" graphics preset and set kept PD at 1.0. Everything looks like crap and in the Hornet over Batumi the FPS is fluctuating between 40-70 fps. That can't possibly be right?

Should I delete the shaders and FXO cache (or what it's called)? I've read something about that before.

3a974c9f5309089fb35135daad4c77db.png

If your talking about instant action "Take OFF" my system running with the above setting and PD 1.4

I have a constant 40 fps with spec below.

1080ti : 4790k clocked @ 4.6 even at low level flight.

Edited by freehand

Seems my performance is about the same as this guys (and he's got a better CPU than I do).

Taxiway take-off...:cry:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

3a974c9f5309089fb35135daad4c77db.png

If your talking about instant action "Take OFF" my system running with the above setting and PD 1.4

I have a constant 40 fps with spec below.

1080ti : 4790k clocked @ 4.6 even at low level flight.

Yes, those settings work well for me too. I tried to untick MSAA and set shadows to low. Instead running PD on 1.6. Seems to work well too. Strangely enough the F-16 "Take off" quick start works alot better today. No idea why, since it barely worked on low settings yesterday.