Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I believe that if you install the Rift S fresh, it will start clean, no Virtual Reality apps (except for the standard ones) present. They only show up if run once.

Answers:

1: No clue what NVG means (why people always want to abreviate, i don't know, it's nice if you know what it means, its meaningless if you don't).

2: Run them once (need to download them again if they came from the Oculus store).

Tip: Use Skatezilla tool to start DCS in Virtual Reality mode with the Rift S software running.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NVG was a spell check substitute. What I was asking was how do I get rift s and dcs to play nice

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

My DCS works nice with the Rift S. Exactly the same as the CV1 did. But I had a clean install.

Did you open Oculus and checked if your RiftS is ready to be used?

Are your Rift S Drivers updated (Check Oculus Home / Device)?

Are you allowing Oculus Home to run 3rd party apps?

Are you getting a homescreen in the rift S?

Are you using the --force_enable_VR command on your shortcut (->pointing to dcs.exe not updater.exe)

If nothing works, go to Oculus, revert the software. It will download couple GB and reinstall everything.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Just mentioning, if you re-installed the Oculus software make sure that the "unknown sources" is enabled under settings->general.

Without that rift won't work for anything not launched from within the oculus library.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Thinks everyone I’m not getting any of the stuff you mentioned I guess a reinstall I was hoping it would see the rift info and update it but no joy. I did a clean install a rift s but I left my oculus directory alone do I need to delete and remove all oculus info before installing the fift s?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Thinks everyone I’m not getting any of the stuff you mentioned I guess a reinstall I was hoping it would see the rift info and update it but no joy. I did a clean install a rift s but I left my oculus directory alone do I need to delete and remove all oculus info before installing the fift s?

All my previous headsets are remembered when I installed the S you go to the apps you have bought before it will say purchased you just redownload.

Anyone have two Rift headsets connected at the same time ? I wish to let the grandkids use the CV1 for games , and I will use the S for DCS . Unplugging and replugging would be a major pain !

If the Oculus software does not permit , has anyone tried a powered USB hub to switch between headsets ?

Comments from those with actual experience would be most helpful !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes, you can have both connected at the same time, the software supports it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yes, you can have both connected at the same time, the software supports it.

Thank you !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hi all,

does anyone have issues using the mouse pointer in the cockpits ?

Since I installed my Rift S I can't interact with switchs, DDIs buttons, and so on. I don't see the mouse cross, the only way to do so is to use Rift hand controllers (it is not confortable with a hotas :smilewink:)

I enabled the mouse in DCS main settings menu.

thanks in advance and regards from France :thumbup:

Edited by Snow51th

No problem on my end.

Insure mouse is enabled in the UI Layer of the GUI , and check to confine mouse to window option.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can some one help me i have just bought the rift s and i love it. but how can i turn it off when i use the mission editor? I have tried --force_disable_VR but get a error message and DCS Updater Utility i cant get it to work.

1TB Samsung evo 860 ssd MSI Z490

Intel® Core I9-10900F

32GB RAM MSI Geforce GTX 970

Can some one help me i have just bought the rift s and i love it. but how can i turn it off when i use the mission editor? I have tried --force_disable_VR but get a error message and DCS Updater Utility i cant get it to work.

Sounds like you may be missing something in the Updater Utility in the setup, works great for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Try Skatezilla's free and very useful GUI utility . It has buttons for launching in VR or pancake .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Try Skatezilla's free and very useful GUI utility . It has buttons for launching in VR or pancake .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

I assumed in my response that was what he was talking about with "DCS Updater Utility"...

If not, then yes absolutely!

Don B

I assumed in my response that was what he was talking about with "DCS Updater Utility"...

If not, then yes absolutely!

You may well be correct....

OP , Have you ensured you have a DCS build selected ? It should have a blue bar on either side when selected .

And-forgive me- have you used the "scan" function so Skate's utility can find your DCS installations ?

Otherwise , i would try a cleaup and repair of DCS .

Total noob question from me since I just picked up a rift s as my first VR headset. Which version of DCS should I be launching? I own the steam version of DCS, so do I:

1. Launch Oculus Home and launch the plain DCS World?

2. Launch Steam VR and select DCS world for Steam VR?

3. Launch Steam VR and select the second VR option (Steam VR for 2.5 DCS World is what I believe it is called?)

A bit confusing to me since owning the Steam version causes so many layers of software to be running.

I am not aware of steam VR settings that could be profitable for a Rifts S that are not natively included in DCS VR tab settings. Keep it simple would be my advice, choice 1.

For the story, when I choice my HMD, native support of Oculus in DCS and to be able to avoid to Steam VR was a strong argument. Lower the number of software layers, lower the numbers of settings, bugs, headaches....

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Agreed, do not go through Steam VR - it is fairly bloated. Plus then going through two pipelines, Steam VR -- Oculus-- to HMD.

Always best to just have the native Oculus pipeline to go through.

Don B

I would not count on a tethered Quest for DCS. Lot of data having to go through a couple of extra pipelines. Rift S would be better, especially if one already has a PC that can run DCS decently. Rift S is also more comfortable. (I have both).

And while the Quest has better resolution on paper, personally the image does not strike me as being any better than Rift S.

I think the tethered option when available will open the door for a lot of Quest users for some great VR games, ones far less demanding than what we do with combat flight sims. I do think it is a good and smart step for Oculus, which will only improve with time.

I do look forward to trying a tethered Quest out though when they make the software available.

Have you tried the Quest with DCS? What is your opinion vs the Rift S?

I am using it now with no issues. Reading this thread to find some ideas to increase the cockpit label sharpness

Have you tried the Quest with DCS? What is your opinion vs the Rift S?

I am using it now with no issues. Reading this thread to find some ideas to increase the cockpit label sharpness

Yes I have in fact.

For me I still prefer the Rift S, but the Quest with Link is fairly close. I was quite surprised in fact at how good it actually did.

For me I get a little better image clarity and performance in Rift S.

I do prefer the linked Quest for some Oculus games though, some that have a fair amount of dark/black look better to me. Other than that, Rift S.

Don B

Yes definitely, plus it also sometimes seems to "partially" lose tracking while in game; I can look around and up and down but cannot move my head/body forward/back or left/right. When this happens and I go to Oculus home I find the touch controllers are effectively glued to the surface. I don't think it is hardware, as I have had it on previous firmware versions, which have then been fixed but introduced others, like not detecting my displayport connection unless I remove and replace it etc. I hope they stabilise this soon, as for my setup at least it's not dependable for long periods of playtime.

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin