Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Anyone had any issues with stuttering or what looks like screen tearing since updating to Windows 10 1903?

Mine was running sweet, but since it updated last week it's taken a turn for the worse which is really frustrating.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone had any issues with stuttering or what looks like screen tearing since updating to Windows 10 1903?

Mine was running sweet, but since it updated last week it's taken a turn for the worse which is really frustrating.

Odyssey plus user here.

Something has gone off somehow. I don't do vr anymore as a result. Game breaking stuttering. May have to get my trackir out.

I have check steam forum and this complain is there too.

I am an early adopters of windows 10 1903 and it has been great until recently.

Reading about some vrserver bug that boots up every few seconds and it would draw heavily on PC resources each time it does that.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hey Dburne,

Can you share your DCS settings for VR?

I'm on the high end (I9 9900K, 1080ti, 32gb), looking for the sweet spot.

Thanks!

jv77k6R.jpg

I run SS of 1.4 set it Oculus Tray Tool.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

jv77k6R.jpg

I run SS of 1.4 set it Oculus Tray Tool.

dburne - and you are running with ASW enabled in OTT as well right? Your settings are very close to mine and I have ASW set to Auto... depending on the action going on in a particular mission I can get framerates toggling between 80 and 40 (when ASW kicks in...)

Is that your experience as well?

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

dburne - and you are running with ASW enabled in OTT as well right? Your settings are very close to mine and I have ASW set to Auto... depending on the action going on in a particular mission I can get framerates toggling between 80 and 40 (when ASW kicks in...)

Is that your experience as well?

Yes ASW set to auto, and yes I am getting 80 fps or 40 fps depending on what is around me. Very smooth in both though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

With regards to my earlier post, I did some research and other people had experienced game mode being enabled after updating to Windows 10 1903. I know full well game mode was disabled on my rig prior to the update because I had read game mode was a bad thing and ensured it was off.

I just checked and lo and behold it was enabled, which must have happened as a by product of the update (Microshaft know best afterall!). I have now disabled game mode and its like a new experience. Butter smooth and how it should be.

Suggest anyone running 1903 check their settings and ensure game mode is disabled.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Yes ASW set to auto, and yes I am getting 80 fps or 40 fps depending on what is around me. Very smooth in both though.

Right on that’s been my experience as well... good stuff thanks for the sanity check..

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Guys, is anyone getting some scenery issues with the Rift S on Caucasus? Blurry scenery which takes a few seconds to render? It’s driving me mad and I can’t seem to get to the bottom of it!

Only does it when fairly high, looking out left and right etc it’s blurry and then takes a while to become clear. Thanks...

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Guys, is anyone getting some scenery issues with the Rift S on Caucasus? Blurry scenery which takes a few seconds to render?

Hi, I just finished a mission there and had no problems.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Hi, I just finished a mission there and had no problems.

Thanks mate...god knows what’s causing it!

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Guys, is anyone getting some scenery issues with the Rift S on Caucasus?

Not seen anything like that myself. Try a DCS repair, delete the fxo and shader folders and restart PC maybe?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not seen anything like that myself. Try a DCS repair, delete the fxo and shader folders and restart PC maybe?

Done all that but still the same. I regularly delete the two folders as I know how important that is but nope, still getting the scenery going from blurry to render when I move my head around. Some parts of Caucasus are worse than others it appears.

I’m at a loss as to what’s causing it. I’ve got nothing whatsoever on my computer apart from Windows 10 and DCS which is totally on its own on a separate SSD.

Maybe a complete re-install of DCS?

Hey all, I am deciding between the Rift S and the Quest as it is getting a tethered solution soon. Any recommendation for which would be better for DCS?

Modules: F-14A/B | F/A-18C | M2000C | AV-8B | Hawk | L-39 | A-10C | C-101 | UH-1 | Normandy | Supercarrier

Hey all, I am deciding between the Rift S and the Quest as it is getting a tethered solution soon. Any recommendation for which would be better for DCS?
I don't think you can use the Quest for DCS? It seems more like a stand alone headset.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I don't think you can use the Quest for DCS? It seems more like a stand alone headset.

Occulus Link will be releasing soon where you can run PC based apps to the Quest via a USB 3.0 cable. It would be great if DCS works as the Quest has slightly higher resolution but I'm not really in the know.

Modules: F-14A/B | F/A-18C | M2000C | AV-8B | Hawk | L-39 | A-10C | C-101 | UH-1 | Normandy | Supercarrier

Occulus Link will be releasing soon where you can run PC based apps to the Quest via a USB 3.0 cable. It would be great if DCS works as the Quest has slightly higher resolution but I'm not really in the know.

I would not count on a tethered Quest for DCS. Lot of data having to go through a couple of extra pipelines. Rift S would be better, especially if one already has a PC that can run DCS decently. Rift S is also more comfortable. (I have both).

And while the Quest has better resolution on paper, personally the image does not strike me as being any better than Rift S.

I think the tethered option when available will open the door for a lot of Quest users for some great VR games, ones far less demanding than what we do with combat flight sims. I do think it is a good and smart step for Oculus, which will only improve with time.

I do look forward to trying a tethered Quest out though when they make the software available.

Don B

I would not count on a tethered Quest for DCS. Lot of data having to go through a couple of extra pipelines. Rift S would be better, especially if one already has a PC that can run DCS decently. Rift S is also more comfortable. (I have both).

And while the Quest has better resolution on paper, personally the image does not strike me as being any better than Rift S.

I think the tethered option when available will open the door for a lot of Quest users for some great VR games, ones far less demanding than what we do with combat flight sims. I do think it is a good and smart step for Oculus, which will only improve with time.

I do look forward to trying a tethered Quest out though when they make the software available.

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it!

I'm having a bit of a problem with mine on startup (the PC, not DCS).

My Rift-S is "never" detected on PC startup although USB is NOT suspended (none of them). It doesn't even work with only just the Rift-S sitting on one of the USB 3.0 ports. Both controllers are well recognised on startup. Only way around it is hot re-plugging the USB 3.0 connection. However, when the device is not recognised, after a while the software goes into device setup mode and there it marks that the USB 3.0 is present (as is the HDMI) but the device is not recognised though. Hotpluggin' the USB makes it work again but then i also have to go through the setup steps again.

I've been reading a bit through the Oculus forums where the same issue shows up a few times with no decent solution besides a USB 3.0 PCI board.

Anyone got the same problem and solved it?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I'm having a bit of a problem with mine on startup (the PC, not DCS).

My Rift-S is "never" detected on PC startup although USB is NOT suspended (none of them). It doesn't even work with only just the Rift-S sitting on one of the USB 3.0 ports. Both controllers are well recognised on startup. Only way around it is hot re-plugging the USB 3.0 connection. However, when the device is not recognised, after a while the software goes into device setup mode and there it marks that the USB 3.0 is present (as is the HDMI) but the device is not recognised though. Hotpluggin' the USB makes it work again but then i also have to go through the setup steps again.

I've been reading a bit through the Oculus forums where the same issue shows up a few times with no decent solution besides a USB 3.0 PCI board.

Anyone got the same problem and solved it?

I have this exact same problem. In addition I can now no longer run DCS world in VR without it crashing within one or two minutes. The crash restarts my computer entirely. I just can’t even play DCS world anymore.

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

I suggest running the oculus beta software if your not currently.

Sorry but I am a computer noob. What do you mean running the oculus beta software? I run DCS in steam and I select the oculus mode when starting the game. Or is it something else I don’t know about?

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

The Oculus software contains a Beta tab where you can sign up for a Public Test Channel which activated will download the latest beta.

But... if you don't run the Oculus software and deal with the same problem as i do with the Oculus software running, i don't see updating to the beta will improve the disconnections on reboot.

What is weird for me is that the Rift itself is stated as connected but shows a red light and that the controllers are connected and show green.

Even more, without the USB being unplugged and re-plugged (and the red light still showing), i switched to the beta. And this updated software, drivers AND firmware which is downloaded through the non connected USB.Makes no sense to me.

Also, i've read on the Oculus forums that Oculus support recommends a PCI seated USB 3.0 (or 3.1 hub) to get around this problem.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Well, the beta didn't solve that problem.

After a reboot still the same issue:

A8ald1l.png

And yet again i need to go through the setup routine...