Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@dburne.. Nice! Thanks for answering. I should probably just go buy a Rift S and see how that is. I've demo'd a CV1, Vive (non Pro) and an ASUS WMR headset. Not impressed by the first two but the ASUS model was quite impressive (for non flying games).

I got my Rift S and to be honest so far not that impressed because of how few sims there are out that actually work out of the box with just the updates and with VR support.

Edited by surfcandy

So if I am now getting 60 fps without VR with everything cranked up to max the best I can hope for with VR is 40fps with the same cranked up settings slightly tinkered? Is that a real 40fps or just through the two lenses ( 80/2=40fps ) and the program is really funning at 80fps? Which number 40fps or 80 fps are you actually viewing the game through the two lenses?

Reason I am asking is in other flight sims intense scenery would bring a true 40fps to a crawl and become unplayable.

Since no one stepped forward to explain this, I’ll give it a shot.

The FPS of 80 or 90 that you see in 4K when use DCS FPS (Alt+Shift+Pause/Break), is the true FPS for your settings. When you put on the Rift S, the Oculus looks at your actual FPS, and if it’s 80-89, it cuts it in half to 40 FPS, and fills in the missing frames to make 40 FPS so it is smooth. If your FPS is 90 and higher, it sets it to 45 FPS, and fills in the missing frames to smooth it. So, when you’re seeing 40 FPS, your system is actually running at 80 FPS and higher.

Other previous posts in this thread explain this much better than I, so it might be beneficial for you to read through the entire thread as I have. I basically run my DCS VR settings on high, and consistently get 40 FPS, without fail, with the rig in my settings. For the most part, using the Rift S, for me, has been a much, much, much better experience for me than the CV1, especially while wearing my glasses. My regular glasses are progressives, but I have a single lens pair just for use with the computer.

Edited by Balzarog
Additional info/Correction

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Well, Rift S has 80Hz refresh rate, so it can’t display more than 80fps.

If your system sends >80fps, it should cap it up to 80fps.

Currently for me it only happens when I look straight up to the sky.

When the system sends <80fps, it does split to 40fps and fill the blank with its own rendered frames to display 80fps.

But DCS World counter will display 40fps. I did fact proof Vs Oculus DebugTool HMD fps, and it’s exactly the same numbers.

The CV1 being 90Hz does the same at 90/ 45fps.

But at the end of the day, the Rift S 40fps makes me more comfortable than CV1 45fps.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Just a couple quick questions here. Does it help performance if one were to switch off the monitor when using a VR headset? Will a 1080ti & 8700K @ 4.9GHz really be enough to push pixels on the Reverb? I haven't yet flown in VR but that will be changing later this year. Been following this thread with interest for awhile now. I'm leaning towards the Reverb but I'm also closely considering a Rift S.

The Reverb has solid resolution in the dead center/sweet spot. Once your eyes deviate from there, it gets blurry, fast.

I tested the Reverb against the Rift S for a good 3 days straight...as in 10+ hours a day flying...switching back and forth.

In all honesty, the only good thing about the Reverb was the higher resolution, which in my opinion, is negated by the much smaller sweet spot as well as a few other aspects that really bugged me.

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

The Reverb has solid resolution in the dead center/sweet spot. Once your eyes deviate from there, it gets blurry, fast.

I tested the Reverb against the Rift S for a good 3 days straight...as in 10+ hours a day flying...switching back and forth.

In all honesty, the only good thing about the Reverb was the higher resolution, which in my opinion, is negated by the much smaller sweet spot as well as a few other aspects that really bugged me.

I switched back to the rift S.

I don't agree that the sweet spot was only in the center, but I did because of the performance.

With the rift S I have solid performances with high settings. With the Reverb I didn't manage to have 45fps in all situations also lowering all settings.

So I sold the Reverb and went back to the rift s

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hi all

I have now Lenovo Explorer, my computer spec is i5 6600 k, GTX 1070 and 24 Gb of ram. What do you think guys it will be better for me to wait for Reverb or maybe buy Rift S now? Maybe someone of you have some comparison between Lenovo and Rift S. Is it worth to make a change

? I only play in DCS and my IPD is some about 64. I do not know what to do.

^The more pixels you're driving, the more GPU you need. I've heard of people doing VR with a 1070 but it's gonna be close. I'd definitely go with the Rift S, not as many pixels and you only need to be able to hit 40fps and even then your settings need to be low low low. IPD isn't as big an issue as people worry about (imo) as the sweet spot is pretty generous, it doesn't have to be right on it. Plus I've heard from several people who have tried both and prefer Rift S anyway (go up a couple of posts for instance)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

It's already installed with Oculus software.

You can make a shortcut on desktop and launch before anything else.

Set SS setting then launch DCS.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/54112/oculus-debug-tool-tutorial-super-sample-asw-fps-performance-monitoring

Thanks jojo,

I ended up setting this at 1.5 and it has definitely improved the readability of the text on the DDI's and AMPCD (I can actually make out most of what they say!). I tried SS at 2 and this looked amazing, but the game performance became awful so I had to set it back to 1.5.

Still a nice boost so thanks for the hint! :)

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

On your first question, no.

I can't comment on the Reverb, I can say I am really enjoying my Rift S.

I would think your system will be fine either way.

I have been running high settings at 1.5 pixel density with shadows turned to flat, 2x mssa, and civ traffic off on my 1080ti, this runs pretty good but in the hornet in particular, I get some instances of it dragging down below 40/

So the million dollar question (or rather the roughly $1700 cad question), is how is your 2080ti performing as far as keeping above 40 to stay locked there?

I have been running high settings at 1.5 pixel density with shadows turned to flat, 2x mssa, and civ traffic off on my 1080ti, this runs pretty good but in the hornet in particular, I get some instances of it dragging down below 40/

So the million dollar question (or rather the roughly $1700 cad question), is how is your 2080ti performing as far as keeping above 40 to stay locked there?

I don’t know if you tried, but with MSI Afterburner software there is an auto-OC function.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

So far pretty good, with ASW off I am getting fps varying between 60-80. Performance very smooth. But that is just flying the Spit around over Normandy. I need to get the F-18 set back up in my controllers and have another go with it, will try to do so in the next few days. Hopefully l can report something back before too long.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So far pretty good, with ASW off I am getting fps varying between 60-80. Performance very smooth. But that is just flying the Spit around over Normandy. I need to get the F-18 set back up in my controllers and have another go with it, will try to do so in the next few days. Hopefully l can report something back before too long.

DBurne:

I have nearly identical hardware and when I turn off ASW do not get higher than 40 fps. It is a very fluid experience with no stutters or other issues. It seems like I am not truly getting ASW turned off?

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I run the Rift S with a GTX 1070, i7 7700k coming from a CV1 I'm able to set MSaa x2 and PD of 1.2 and DCS performs pretty good and the clarity is still better than the CV1. To me it's much better at target spotting and cockpit clarity than the CV1 even with a 1070 and it does run smoothly enough for me.

I do plan on upgrading the card but if you're confined to a GTX 1070 and can't splurge for a card upgrade and a new headset the S is the perfect solution. It works, the other consideration is that eyecandy is subjective. Get something you can try with the ability return to see for yourself. If you get too deep into the technicalities and specs and why this is better than that or I'll wait forever you may never be satisfied. But even satisfaction is a 80% deal, that's life so go ahead enjoy now.

The people on this forum have a great amount of combined experience because they took the plunge. They have been the guiding factor for me. It's all a little experimental at this stage but it's all still good fun. I thank everyone in the forum for their experience and knowledge and that's from someone who started with Sublogic Flight Simulator.

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD

DBurne:

I have nearly identical hardware and when I turn off ASW do not get higher than 40 fps. It is a very fluid experience with no stutters or other issues. It seems like I am not truly getting ASW turned off?

Yeah sounds like maybe ASW is not turning off for you. But I would think you would see 80 fps at times, especially when looking say more at sky than at ground.

CTRL+Numpad1 ( not keypad 1) when in game should turn it off.

Alternatively , Oculus Tray Tool - it is what I use and I have a profile for DCS.exe in the profiles tab, with ASW set to off so I never have to worry with it. And I do see framerates all between 40-80 fps.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I used the tray tool to turn off ASW and to make a profile for DCS but I had the same result, locked at 40FPS

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I used the tray tool to turn off ASW and to make a profile for DCS but I had the same result, locked at 40FPS

That is strange, not sure why not working for you.

You are pointing it to DCS.exe right? Mine always works no trouble.

You can select audio confirmation in the Tray Tool and hear if the profile is being applied also.

Don B

I'm away from home for 11 days will try again later:thumbup:

That is strange, not sure why not working for you.

You are pointing it to DCS.exe right? Mine always works no trouble.

You can select audio confirmation in the Tray Tool and hear if the profile is being applied also.

If the frame timing is long enough either from CPU or GPU or anything really, high enough numbers and ASW will trigger regardless.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Yeah sounds like maybe ASW is not turning off for you. But I would think you would see 80 fps at times, especially when looking say more at sky than at ground.

CTRL+Numpad1 ( not keypad 1) when in game should turn it off.

Alternatively , Oculus Tray Tool - it is what I use and I have a profile for DCS.exe in the profiles tab, with ASW set to off so I never have to worry with it. And I do see framerates all between 40-80 fps.

I’ve had the same problem as him. The thing is, I am 100% certain that ASW turns off (I’ve used ctrl+1, OTT and the debug tool). I’m sure it’s off because the obvious artefacting that occurs with it on disappears, like the squigglies that appear on the Spitfire gunsight.

It’s a weird bug that’s been around for years. ASW disables but Oculus still locks to 40 (and it was 45 on my CV1).

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I’ve had the same problem as him. The thing is, I am 100% certain that ASW turns off (I’ve used ctrl+1, OTT and the debug tool). I’m sure it’s off because the obvious artefacting that occurs with it on disappears, like the squigglies that appear on the Spitfire gunsight.

It’s a weird bug that’s been around for years. ASW disables but Oculus still locks to 40 (and it was 45 on my CV1).

Yes this is exactly what I have tried. I have searched Oculus site for a fix or explanation but found nothing

Yes this is exactly what I have tried. I have searched Oculus site for a fix or explanation but found nothing

That is really odd. We have very similar specs for rig, and I see fps fluctuating between 40-80 fps.

Sitting on ramp at Normandy in Spit, I see my fps fluctuate in 60's and 70's.

Don B

I finally got my controllers set back up for the Hornet.

Just flew the Carrier Take Off mission in the Persian Gulf, flew around for a while and buzzed the ships a few times then landed on carrier.

My framerates stayed at 80 fps the whole time, even on the carrier take off.

Note I only run PD at 1.2 and 2x MSAA. But graphics are fairly high and it looks great.

I have been meaning to continue my learning for the Hornet so glad I finally got around to doing this.

Don B

I finally got my controllers set back up for the Hornet.

Just flew the Carrier Take Off mission in the Persian Gulf, flew around for a while and buzzed the ships a few times then landed on carrier.

My framerates stayed at 80 fps the whole time, even on the carrier take off.

Note I only run PD at 1.2 and 2x MSAA. But graphics are fairly high and it looks great.

I have been meaning to continue my learning for the Hornet so glad I finally got around to doing this.

I run at 1.5 and 2x MSAA, everything else high, except shadows on low and default. I will try lowering to 1.2 when I get home. Perhaps there are just too many pixels at 1.5 and it defaults to ASW on?