Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

@nessuno0505

That's exactly the bubble i'm talking about. Try to step out of it, if you want a better VR experience. 1280x1440 per eye on a LCD screen with a tiny FOV of up to 95 degrees is pretty bad for a "new" HMD in 2019. The Vive already had an FOV of 110 degrees in 2016 (CV1 only 90 degrees) and a much more vibrant image quality. I've tested a lot of HMD's myself, had a Vive since 2016, compared it with CV1 and WMR's, attended at a backer meeting for the Pimax 5K and 8K...

For sims FOV is a very important factor don't you think? To name a few HMD's which surpass a CV1 easily:

- Samsung Odyssey and Odyssey Plus (FOV 110° and 1440*1600 per eye OLED!)

- Vive Pro (FOV 110° and 1440*1600 per eye OLED!)

- any other WMR device is still better than the Rift S http://www.threesixtycameras.com/windows-mixed-reality-comparison-table/

And(!) in 2 days the Valve Index will be announced, expectations are high, but i'm pretty sure that this will be my next HMD after i had a very nice year in best quality VR already with my VivePro. If i would recommend a HMD device to a friend, i would never go with the cheapest solution. I would want for him to have the best experience, so a Facebook device would never be an option.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they announce the definitive rift s release date?

Not yet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Alec DeLorean I do not agree: oled screen Is not the best choice because screen Door effect Is more evident than lcd. Vive standard has not a more vibrant image than Rift CV1. CV1 fov has never been an issue to me, I do not know if the right numbers are 90° for cv1 and 110° for vive but crisper image on cv1 vs vive Is due to the slightly less fov, since screen resolution Is the same. For a sim I prefer crisper image over fov. Valve index could be a good choice but the need of external sensors makes It less viable to me than inside-out Rift s tracking; we'll see index resolution and fov but its minimum specs requirements and its display Port make me think It won't be much higher than Rift s, maybe something like vive pro. We'll see.

Everything will come to light here soon enough. Until folks get their hands on either one of these HMDs it doesn't really matter what specs are on paper. This competition is great though. VR for all my friends I say.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Both, actually. With 1920x1080, things are crisp and easier to see and pretty. 4K makes it even prettier, but the pixels are much much smaller and spotting the meatball and targets are much harder. Just google 4k spotting dcs target and you'll see what I mean.

I will make a through the lens video showing a level flight that shows the meatball, some ground targets, and A10, F15's flying 5, and 10 miles away.

I haven't tried with CV1 yet, but with 5K+, I can see the planes. Sure, I have to look for it, but I can see the movement. It's the same with my Acer. You *have* to look for it. It doesn't show up as clearly as 1920x1080 monitors.

I don't anymore have a FHD screens for comparison, but when I switched to 4K The difference was huge on prettier manner. Spotting at long range became possible, like C-130 at default weather and altitude from past 30km when against the sky, and you knew where to look.

When I made first tests I used Mig-21 and I could spot targets like F-15 before the radar picked up them and show at top of radar scope. But again, only against sky or good background.

That was not possible with FHD display.

But many other thing for more difficult, turning fight as now the plane was not a blob but more accurate silhouette. The camo could blend in the terrain.

But you could see the attitude of enemy more easily and so on predict better the moves.

Since CV1, I think ED has changed many times the models LOD. As at start of couldn't spot them, not see attitude etc until close. All the preferred shading, model enlargement etc were forced/removed etc and finally something did chafe that is current situation, with CV1 I can spot a Mi-24 against ground (default) from about 13km range. A fighters like Mig-29 from about 15-18km even against ground. And up on the sky it is again about 30km.

But you need to know where to look. You can spot ie F-18 from 8km range because movement easily, but it really requires to look out.

All what is little unrealistic ranges really.

But for ID, better get under 1-2km depending you knowing what you look. Like separate Su-25 from Su-27 is easier than from F-18.

What ED had made for VR changed the whole experience as it is not really anymore limitation to example use S-25L from Su-25A against ground targets as the launch range is 3 - 3.5km and I can spot targets before that or at least around that depending sun position.

The problem is still that I can't read well the cockpit instruments in all. One of the best is L-39 as it has big and good ones.

And that I am expecting being big difference by the Rift S like Wags says about hornet.

PS. At the start I had both, CV1 and Vive. I returned the Vive. It didn't have noticeable bigger FOV if you didn't start to measure that how much from what panel did you see etc. Negligent difference really. But the rift had more clarity and on larger area. Easier to use and nicer controllers that gets support, so Vive was to go back.

Now, I am actually more interested about Rift S than anything else out there. As the wider FOV is not worth it in turning fight because performance AND price hit. And middle of the fight if other gets to gun shooting position, you wouldn't never be looking back by turning head, you use mirrors and you anyways focus for tactics to shake off. Easily seeing at seven and five 'clock positions is enough when you twist your body using CV1.

So if for 399€ one can improve cockpit readout capability and get external sensors away... And anyways improve little the performance, then it is far more worth than Pimax 5k+ than anything else really.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Now, I am actually more interested about Rift S than anything else out there. As the wider FOV is not worth it in turning fight because performance AND price hit. And middle of the fight if other gets to gun shooting position, you wouldn't never be looking back by turning head, you use mirrors and you anyways focus for tactics to shake off. Easily seeing at seven and five 'clock positions is enough when you twist your body using CV1.

So if for 399€ one can improve cockpit readout capability and get external sensors away... And anyways improve little the performance, then it is far more worth than Pimax 5k+ than anything else really.

This :thumbup:

Today starts the F8 Facebook Developer Conference where more information concerning Oculus Rift S is expected ( hopefully )

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Win 10 Pro 64 - i6700K @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1080ti Gaming X OC - 32 GB DDR4 Fury X - 1x 512GB 960 Pro SSD - 1x 512GB 850 Pro SSD - TM Cougar - TM Warthog - MHG Crosswind - Rift CV1 - Track IR 5

Today starts the F8 Facebook Developer Conference where more information concerning Oculus Rift S is expected ( hopefully )

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Yeah hopefully we get some firm information on release dates.

I can't imagine them releasing both Quest and Rift S at the same time - my guess would be Quest first to be followed by Rift S later in the Spring.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Apparently the Rift S is already on display in BestBuy stores...

Microsoft Store is also states the release date for 21st May 2019

Still concerned about the downsides of the Rift-S... Bad Audio, Software IPD settings, Facebook...

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Facebook Keynote at F8 today at 1:00 PM EST.

Oculus Quest and hopefully Rift S release date will be revealed.

It will be livestreamed:

https://www.f8.com/watch

Don B

For a sim I prefer crisper image over fov.

I agree, at least for DCS.

Taking real life flight training really spoiled flight sims for me. I used PC based sims as an adjunct to my lessons, and it was helpful for navigation and operating radios and stuff. But it really highlighted the handicap of a pancake monitor in terms of building SA. Even for simple stuff like flying the pattern.

That said, I didn't find myself using peripheral vision in r/l very much if at all. Even when you're trying to spot aircraft, they teach you to use your central vision. The only place peripheral vision comes in to play is on landing, and you don't need much, Rift gives you plenty.

In DCS, both for spotting and reading instruments, you need decent central vision. I would rather have fewer pixels crammed in closer together. By a wide margin.

To be clear, it would be cool to have high PPI *and* wide FOV, and I would be willing to build a GPU server to drive it, but DCS doesn't support that, and I am unwilling to invest in a 2080ti to run the game at the same settings as I am now with a lower FPS, I'm pretty much scraping the bottom in terms of playability as is.

I think Xtal is on the right track. I see their lens technology as the sort of "thinking outside the box" approach that VR needs right about now. Note how well it runs on relatively modest hardware

I'm pretty excited for the S. DCS is a unique product, question in my mind is, how to make it work. S may be a good answer, sounds like

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Yes , via bindings to your hotas , mouse , and largely , via your vr controllers as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Ordered the Rift S...now the wait....:)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Yes, preorders have started, dispatched by May 21.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I pre-ordered the Rift S as well.

Hope I am not disappointed.

Don B

It's tempting for me also, but I can wait for you you guys' reviews. I'll be surprised if the clarity is that much better than the current rift.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I pre-ordered the Rift S as well.

Hope I am not disappointed.

Don, tricky.... hahaha ... Again you couldn't held you back and let this go along. Like all the other new stuff!!! :D

Yes, i call you now PRO DCS ADDICT!

All the warnings, ... LCD, Resolution, IPD!

I know... tempting. I held back and wait a little for the 'RIGHT CHOICE'. :D

Hope i am wrong, but the better stuff must be coming soon. :D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Don, tricky.... hahaha ... Again you couldn't held you back and let this go along. Like all the other new stuff!!! :D

Yes, i call you now PRO DCS ADDICT!

All the warnings, ... LCD, Resolution, IPD!

I know... tempting. I held back and wait a little for the 'RIGHT CHOICE'. :D

Hope i am wrong, but the better stuff must be coming soon. :D

LOL - well in all fairness (to me), I have hung in there with my original Rift for quite some time, while many others were jumping over to Pimax, Samsung Odyssey, Vive Pro, other WMR devices.

I figured wth, for 400 bucks might as well give it a shot. If I ain't crazy about it will sell it and stick with my Rift CV1 a while longer. It runs flawless for me.

Don B