DCS: Su-25A

Dr_Arrow

I know that for ED it is not possible to develop newer Eastern block aircraft. But I tend to think that some older stuff could be done on DCS level in order to at least satisfy Eastern block aircraft fans like me. I've flown Su-25A lately a lot and knowing the real aircraft a bit I think that Su-25A would be the most ideal candidate for this. Why?

1. Su-25A has a nearly perfect flight model, you can fly the aircraft completely like in RL manual - so no work included here.

2. Su-25A has engines modeled very well, as well as its hydraulic and other systems.

3. Su-25A has an advanced 3D model and cockpit model, which could be just refreshed a bit.

4. Avionics systems are already modeled very well - ASP gunsight works very well, weapons control system is modeled very well, so only a bit of work here to add some functionality to the ASP.

5. RSBN and navigation suite is modeled, it would need only manual actuation of waypoints and re-use the RSBN code from L-39

6. Communication systems taken from L-39, as well as ARK system.

7. Auxiliary systems are not yet modeled (fire supression, engine starting, anti-ice, etc.), but not many systems remaining here with not much of a workload.

So all in all, I think that Su-25A on DCS level could be completed very quickly (maybe in a year with not a big team working on it) and could be very efficient in terms of profits/development time, where as we can see F-18 or F-16 take years to develop. Moreover most of this work could be ported to Su-25T, where on top only Shkval could be taken from the Ka-50. Moreover it would be a perfect platform for future Su-17, which completely shares avionics suite with Su-25A.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1. Su-25A has a nearly perfect flight model, you can fly the aircraft completely like in RL manual - so no work included here.

Is there a manual appeared? Few years ago so such couldn't be found at all....

Such would help to check what else we could see from full fidelity module.

But totally agree, a Su-25A would be great company to red

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'm not sure developing the aircraft would be that simple. The navigation, targeting and other systems have a lot of missing features just going by the amount of switches in the cockpit..

But I do completely agree that the Su-25 would be a brilliant aircraft to have as a full fidelity module. I know doezens of pilots in our group who would all enjoy it full fidelity. Let us hope we will se it happen sometime in the future.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Is there a manual appeared? Few years ago so such couldn't be found at all....

Such would help to check what else we could see from full fidelity module.

But totally agree, a Su-25A would be great company to red

I have only a personal copy in Czech language of the pilot's operating manual for Su-25K and unfortunatelly cannot share it. The procedures for take-off, flight aerobatics, weapon employment and landing can be very accuratelly applied to our simulated Su-25.

MMJ: seems like there are many switches, but really there is not that much missing. WCS panel is completely functional for example and already works as the one in the real thing. Inertial navigation system is functional (we just need to limit airports to 4, 3 planned route points, add a target point) and manually press the buttons on it. RSBN is implemented for L-39, ARK the same. Radios need to be implemented, but again can be taken from L-39. Otherwise the switches are for circuit breakers, test switches, and some auxiliary system switches.

It needs of course some development but I think it would be two magnitudes lower than any modern aircraft, thus being very efficient in terms of workload and possible profits. I am just thinking along the lines of how much development time has gone into F/A-18 and among the FC3 aircraft, Su-25A seems to me like the best candidate to be developed in full fidelity DCS module, requiring the least work, possibly being out of Russian government prohibition limits.

• Like 3

I don't know why but i love this ugly plane whereas i hate T model

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yeah I'd love to have the SU-25A. Would go well with that Afghan map they are planning... Just sayin...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I highly suggest hearing this podcast of an interview with Wags regarding future DCS projects. One of the questions he was asked is "what has been the biggest barrier in doing Eastern block aircraft?'

https://alert5podcast.podbean.com/e/scramble-04-matt-wags-wagner/

Yeah but that doesnt apply to 3rd parties outside of russia though as wags stated.

• Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I highly suggest hearing this podcast of an interview with Wags regarding future DCS projects. One of the questions he was asked is "what has been the biggest barrier in doing Eastern block aircraft?'

https://alert5podcast.podbean.com/e/scramble-04-matt-wags-wagner/

I've listened to it just before I made this post. I am not sure if Wags' thinking wasn't more along the lines of Mig-29/Su-27 rather than older air-frames like Su-25A, where the laser rangefinder and ballistic computer + the optical moving gunsight are probably the most secret systems and are already modeled.

• Like 1

There is another thread which mentions that ED staff said a while ago that sadly all Su-25 work would have to be done for scratch as the files were lost a long time ago. I think it was a thread in bugs and problems about cockpit texture bug

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I'd love to see this in DCS grade...

I don't know why but i love this ugly plane whereas i hate T model

I prefer the "A" as well... kinda think it performs a tad better and it definately looks better.

There is another thread which mentions that ED staff said a while ago that sadly all Su-25 work would have to be done for scratch as the files were lost a long time ago. I think it was a thread in bugs and problems about cockpit texture bug

They must have had some really bad luck there... a serious company such as ED would be the absolutely last place where I could imagine this happening twilightsmile.png

• Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I'd buy a full-fidelity Su-25, too. So what if it'd have to be started nearly from scratch, this didn't stop them from making the Viper. Some of the Mi-24 work could probably carry over, mostly with regards to the weapons systems. It's an older plane, so compared to new ones, it should be rather straightforward from the coding side, and unlike modern birds, I don't think the documentation would be classified. The Su-25A had been widely exported, too, including to some countries that are now in NATO.

• Like 4

It's a Russian fixed wing aircraft, I'm sure there's a market for that, given the current dearth of FF modules on that end. :)

It's also still used in modern times, despite being so old and simple, which is always good. It'd be a good intermediate step between something like L-39 and the A-10. Not really much more complex, but with a good selection of armament. It's also not a fighter, meaning it wouldn't have to worry about being competitive in BVR (and in a dogfight, it's surprisingly competent, Eaglejet drivers go in for guns on it at their own risk!).

Also, DCS comes with a free Su-25T by default. The older Su-25 would actually be a really cool way to introduce people to FF modules. Basically similar to Su-25T in concept, but simpler, with less systems, but FF modules require one to learn the switchology. In addition, being simpler, perhaps it could be priced slightly lower than modern jets (or just go on sale a lot). That way, it could be a perfect gateway drug for DCS. :)

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 2

Yep, I'd love to get a full fidelity Su-25 Frogfoot A, or indeed any main production variant if feasible.

• Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.