MAC (Modern Air Combat) Discussion

On 2/4/2021 at 1:34 PM, Mogster said:

I really think this is the way ED should go with MAC.

Aircraft, and helicopters, that are too modern and classified to make as full fidelity DCS modules. Maybe even experimental stuff. It could be a lot of fun.

Lol, maybe we'll finally get a Ka-52 with full loadout!

They can just copy what's already known from the Ka-50, and well educated guess on the rest.

Though I would not want to give up what is already in the Ka-50.

Edited by 3WA
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might be overthinking it, there are many people that are more into FC level aircraft, and the options to have quick and easy modern combat will have an appeal to many.   People short of time and

this illusory target audience of people who are 'not ready for dcs' will never play mac because their pride and vanity will never allow them to suffer what they will see as the indignity of a downgrad

The continued success of il2 supports this. Some people want to enjoy flight simming without a few months of study to use systems effectively...i mean, that mastery is rewarding but if youre long on r

On 10/13/2020 at 6:18 PM, NineLine said:

You might be overthinking it, there are many people that are more into FC level aircraft, and the options to have quick and easy modern combat will have an appeal to many.

People short of time and patience are more abundant than you might think. And it's certainly not a slight on them prefer the ease of access.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:54 PM, ngreenaway said:

The continued success of il2 supports this. Some people want to enjoy flight simming without a few months of study to use systems effectively...i mean, that mastery is rewarding but if youre long on responsibilities and commitments but short on time, the idea of a lengthy flight session may not be feasible. I sometimes go a few weeks because i cant budget an hour or two in one sitting to get a basic flying session in. Some of the esoterica we've come to expect in a dcs module represents perishable skills in some cases even to the RL pilots...even more so to the average joe with plenty of other things competing for what may be the most valuable commodity of all: time

Yep, especially time is a big convenience that not everybody has, to commit into ultra hardcore sims, as DCS indeed is.

For instances, take myself as an example.

Ever since a kid that military aircraft are interesting to me, be it WW2 or Cold War era based. I grew watching documentaries, reading about them, building kits, etc. 

A bit like I also was (and am) into motorcycles and cars.

I'm what you'd see as in the middle ground if considering a userbase spectrum - I'm not an ultra hardcore aviation enthusiast, yet I utterly loath the basic juvenile arcade stuff (such as certain console based titles).

I've been into combat flight sims/games on PC for over two decades, have tried pretty much every single one available since the late 90s to this day.

I love DCS, got the high-fidelity modules that interest me, it absolutely delivers a great simulation for any of them.

The thing is, an hi-fi module is not something you can pick-up-and-go with confidence, for any given mission, in an hour or two, on day one. It can take months to get there.

Reading long manuals, watching tutorials, lots of practice, trial and error, memorizing, is all part of the package.

While I agree that is what makes the DCS experience, and as rewarding as that challenge is (it is!), I'm constantly made myself aware that I'm just scratching the surface, and the complexity does feel a bit too much sometimes.

Lately, with more work and real life issues to tackle, I find myself spending time on FC3 when firing up DCS (mostly Su-25 and A-10A), when I do have amazing hi-fi modules.

Sometimes, I just want to take a mission, enter the battle zone, lose myself in the immersion, and not have to worry so much about things.

Years ago, and among a few other good titles, I used to run LOMAC, later FC2. They always seemed ok for that.

There is room for middle-ground simulation-games, and there used be some really good ones. Unfortunately, even with modding, all are completely old and outdated.

Noone is commercialy pursuing them anymore, not actively. 

Today it's either on the extreme ends of spectrum. You only have ultra-complex hardcore or, otherwise, the ridiculous flashy arcade garbage. It's either black or white, there are no shades of grey.

I think ED should consider this as an oportunity, for a userbase that may be a lot bigger than most suspect.

Personally, I support the idea behind MAC, and I'm eager to see how it is once it's out and available.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 2

1934486534_LMtransparentDCSicons_hs_shdw-5_75pc.png.9c8c611c4d38c056af222a2071df6f01.png:pilotfly:
system specs:

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 10700KF (all core OC 5.0GHz) | 32GB DDR4 (3466MHz CL16) | RX 5700XT 8GB (@ 2085/1820) | 256GB(OS) + 500GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | 650W PSU (Seasonic 80+Gold)
32'' 1080P 75Hz (IPS) | M-Audio USB + Samson SR850 |  T16000 stick + X52Pro throttle + TrackHat (w/OpenTrack)

On 4/22/2019 at 2:39 PM, aleader said:

Clickable cockpits on 4 planes?

I read somehwere that 4 of the included MAC planes will be fully clickable cockpits (the Migs and F86 for sure). Is this true? Also, I own FC3 on Steam. Will that be taken into consideration for the 'considerable discount' for FC3 owners, or do you have to have bought it direct from ED? Or will it be released as it's own separate game on Steam too?

Having played lots of FC3 (and A10C/Ka50), I don't think this will be 'another Ace Combat' if they keep the same fidelity and PFM from FC3. I don't think that people that say that have ever played (or have any idea about) the Ace Combat series. VERY arcade gameplay.

I hope they do have some clickable cockpits on more than 4 planes, obviously not as complex as DCS mods but at least give players the option to clock for landing gear and flaps since that would work better for VR>

On 4/11/2019 at 9:06 AM, Wags said:

As we noted in a rather recent newsletter, we decided to greatly expand MAC to make it a AAA product. This in turn significantly moved back out production time line. Once we have a confident release date, we will be pleased to announce it then.

For now, suffice to say that much of the company is focused on MAC and making steady progress. When there is news to share, we certainly will.

Thanks

I understand the logic behind making them separate products, since they have different audiences. However I just hope that there is enough shared code that we can share missions, campaigns, go online together, and more importantly share assets packs and maps.

On 7/25/2019 at 2:45 AM, beppe_goodoldrebel said:

I dont think so, community is already splitted between PvP multiplayer and "MILSIM" players.

Many play FC3 and full modules for PvP gameplay that needs stability and a "balance" which the actual DCS base cant give them.

Some of them are also complaining about some aircraft are OP or nerfed but they are just wanting to get thing as close as possible to RL.

Imagine give them a game which uses a stable DCS release with a balanced gameplay, dedicated servers , different maps ,etc.

That's their Christmas!

The idea of MAC and DCS using different maps is just insane, I see no reason for doing that what so ever. They should use the same maps as that would by default increase the possible revenue a developer could make from a map and result in us getting more theaters.  Having dedicated servers would be nice but I still want the possibility of cross platform PVP and mission. 

On 7/25/2019 at 2:45 AM, beppe_goodoldrebel said:

On the other hand DCS World can then move to have a better ATC , Dynamic Campaign , new Weather system,etc with the possible new income from selling MAC.

It's a WIN/WIN situation if they get it right.

The dynamic campaign would be another asset which both could and should share, weather might be as well.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, Max1mus said:

I dont like how ED is focusing on the beginner friendlyness of MAC and entirely ignoring the fact that it will be the only way to have modern planes on the red side in DCS.

I have no clue how dynamic campaigns are going to work and be "balanced" as ED says they want them to be, when one side has avionics and missiles that were put into service 15, in most cases 20-25 years later than what the other has.

MAC must be used as a platform for the modules that are too difficult to make in full fidelity, yet absolutely necessairy additions for the simulator environment. Or else forget authentically recreating anything that has happened after the 90s and involved major powers (like Syria 2015) in DCS.

I've been saying this since MAC was first announced. That any aircraft that the community might like that can't be done as a DCS mod needs to be given to MAC. They say I can't have my Thud because there isn't enough information left because Fairchild was a bunch of pyros, give me a MAC Thud. Vladimir Vladimirovich says we can't have a Su-35 , MiG-31 or MiG-29M then make it a MAC.  As it stands right now I won't buy MAC unless my nephews are interested but if I if there are modules that won't show up in DCS then I will buy MAC. 

Edited by upyr1

The question is how to do it right? We can go As Kombat style with simple flight models some story and new consoles, or go WT with mouse control and a some more realism something like FC3 But on consoles and pc with flight models that have some boundaries to help new players. To get new casual players you need to have visuals and DCS certainly have that and after Top Gun 2 there will be a big jump with sellings F-18 probably and other flight sims, so it would be nice to have MAC ready after that.

3 hours ago, Peter5on said:

The question is how to do it right? We can go As Kombat style with simple flight models some story and new consoles, or go WT with mouse control and a some more realism something like FC3 But on consoles and pc with flight models that have some boundaries to help new players. To get new casual players you need to have visuals and DCS certainly have that and after Top Gun 2 there will be a big jump with sellings F-18 probably and other flight sims, so it would be nice to have MAC ready after that.

I think the best way to go would be flaming cliffs, it would be a good rung between WT and DCS