Tomcat Pilot Radar controls

ig002

Hello,

I have a quite beginner question. I try to fire the Phoenix in BVR but I can't see the targets on my radar. I order Jester to Scan 100 Miles, that's OK but I can't see the targets on the front radar screen. If I switch to the back I see the targets and they are already locked. I switch back to the front and I see that Iecman has did something:) since I see the targets on the radar. Numbered nicely as it should be. I think I just should find a button to change the range shown on the front radar.

Can anyone enlight me what do I wrong?

Thanks!

This I know. I was thinking that I can control the shown range independently from the RIO. The radar is operated by the RIO but the pilot can change the shown range separately. Probably it doesn't work like this but who knows.

Thanks anyways the reply.

This I know. I was thinking that I can control the shown range independently from the RIO. The radar is operated by the RIO but the pilot can change the shown range separately. Probably it doesn't work like this but who knows.

Thanks anyways the reply.

Good question!

I often find the radar image on the HSD to be too cluttered to read clearly with a lot of things overlapping. It would be nice to change the range or be able to zoom in and separate things apart a bit.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

You an control the radar with PLM and ACM controls. RIO controls everything else. The PTID is exactly that, a repeater. You see what the RIO sees. A Commodore 64 had more power than the CPU in the AWG-9. The compromises made were deliberate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You can add the following block of code to DCS/Mods/aircraft/F14/input/F-14B-Pilot/keyboard/default.lua and assign it to whatever you want from the front seat.

-- TID
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = -1.0, name = _('TID range: 25'), category = _('TID')},
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = -0.5, name = _('TID range: 50'), category = _('TID')},
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = 0.0, name = _('TID range: 100'), category = _('TID')},
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = 0.5, name = _('TID range: 200'), category = _('TID')},
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = 1.0, name = _('TID range: 400'), category = _('TID')},

You can also do this with any of the code from the RIO default.lua. This is how people are able to control the LANTIRN from the pilot seat, as well as things like radar range and changing the TCS FOV.

Just keep in mind that Jester will often change the range knob after you try to manipulate it, and every time ED patches DCS you have to copy over the code again.

As WOPR already said, the TID display for the pilot is just a repeater that displays the RIOS TID to the pilot. The pilot has no input on it.

Also, the TID is not a radar screen!. It's a tactical information display that contains all sorts of information (radar contacts, data link information, navigation data), much like the Hornet's SA page. The radar screen is the DDD and is only available in the backseat.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

the TID display for the pilot is just a repeater that displays the RIOS TID to the pilot. The pilot has no input on it.

I just explained how you can add that input above. While not realistic, neither is a RIO like Jester with limited commands.

Adding your own functionality lets you expand the scope of what you can do while flying solo.

I just explained how you can add that input above. While not realistic, neither is a RIO like Jester with limited commands.

Adding your own functionality lets you expand the scope of what you can do while flying solo.

I hope you can't do this in MP. I wish that stuff was totally locked out.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Thanks Guys. I think I have understood how it works. I just have to tell Jester to change the scan range and the targets will appear or disappear. I will leave the system as it is. I would rather command Jester as in a real plane.

Thanks again.

You can use it in multiplayer, and I do.

Why should it be locked out? If I want to change the range display from 100 miles to 400 miles, I can just push a button, which is no different then me telling a real RIO to just change the knob.

Adding RIO commands also lets you control the LANTIRN from the front seat, which Jester is unable to do.

Should that be locked out too for users who prefer to fly solo with Jester?

Yes, it should and the devs have already said that this was not intended and will be locked out once Jester will get the ability to use LANTIRN.

And no, it is not the same. There is a difference in having to tell someone to do something compared to doing it yourself.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, it should and the devs have already said that this was not intended and will be locked out once Jester will get the ability to use LANTIRN.

I have no problem with that, but right now he doesn't have the ability, so it shouldn't be locked out yet, which is what the other poster was suggesting should happen.

And no, it is not the same. There is a difference in having to tell someone to do something compared to doing it yourself.

If there was a real person in my RIO seat I would agree with you.

Jester is just an interface to the code, and me pushing a button versus me choosing a radial command (one that doesn't exist for changing the range on the TID) is exactly the same thing.

• 5 months later...

Jumping into the conversation but uhm...

How do you reset lock? I got a lock using PLM to practice guns, but I can't drop the lock afterwards.... What key is it?

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

There's no key for the pilot to drop lock, but you can just hit the PLM button again when not pointing at a target -> lock gets dropped.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, not buying the realism argument. Fiddling with multiple levels of phantasmagorical menus dancing in front of your eyes by nodding your head up/down/left/right and then pressing a key does not strike me as a better simulation of saying "do blah" than assigning a key bind to do the same. There might be other arguments for one vs the other, but realism is not it.

Yeah, not buying the realism argument. Fiddling with multiple levels of phantasmagorical menus dancing in front of your eyes by nodding your head up/down/left/right and then pressing a key does not strike me as a better simulation of saying "do blah" than assigning a key bind to do the same. There might be other arguments for one vs the other, but realism is not it.

Also not buying the realism argument from anyone who flies the mi8. You are flipping all those switches that those other two guys in the helo would in real life. Should totally be locked out in multiplayer!

I really hope HB doesn't lock out the controls. There is no game breaking advantage to having one person doing the work of two in a two person aircraft.

There's the advantage of not having to communicate and coordinate with another person, which can lead to delays or misunderstandings.

Tornado3 small.jpg

That's different than the realism argument.

Now let's talk advantage. Theres a potential coordination advantage, but theres a much, much bigger disadvantage in that the pilot doesn't see the DDD. That could be put on an export view though, so the pilot (to effectively use the radar) needs all the controls and displays to go with it at his disposal. You are now looking at task saturation, and my guess is that this is more of a liability than anything in multiplayer.

Seriously, go try it. It's not going to work out well trying to play both seats at once. I've tried this in SP because I have two computers/accounts/modules. It was a nightmare trying to donsimple stuff. Voice attack with Jester is much much better.

Someone in an F-15 will have a far easier time of A2A because that plane was designed with single seat operation in mind.

Edited by Dino Might

That's different than the realism argument.

It is indeed. It was a reply to your comment about advantages. The realism argument is different and bigger.

Now let's talk advantage. Theres a potential coordination advantage, but theres a much, much bigger disadvantage in that the pilot doesn't see the DDD. That could be put on an export view though, so the pilot (to effectively use the radar) needs all the controls and displays to go with it at his disposal. You are now looking at task saturation, and my guess is that this is more of a liability than anything in multiplayer.

Seriously, go try it. It's not going to work out well trying to play both seats at once. I've tried this in SP because I have two computers/accounts/modules. It was a nightmare trying to donsimple stuff. Voice attack with Jester is much much better.

Someone in an F-15 will have a far easier time of A2A because that plane was designed with single seat operation in mind.

So, basically what you're saying is, that there is no point in having this over Jester. Fine with me.

Tornado3 small.jpg

It will be, once Jester Lantirn comes out. We let it run until then, because it would disable the pilot lantirn mod, which for now we think is still very useful for singleplayer. in general we want to avoid reach back functionality though, else we could have spared the development of Jester.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

It will be, once Jester Lantirn comes out. We let it run until then, because it would disable the pilot lantirn mod, which for now we think is still very useful for singleplayer. in general we want to avoid reach back functionality though, else we could have spared the development of Jester.

Much appreciated :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

It is indeed. It was a reply to your comment about advantages. The realism argument is different and bigger.

So, basically what you're saying is, that there is no point in having this over Jester. Fine with me.

There is a point, for those that want options, dont have voice attack, etc.

Just because something isnt the easiest way to do it doesn't mean there isnt any reason to do it.

At the end of the day, no pilot control of RIO pit will ever be better than a competent human RIO controlling that seat.

So long as the mod doesn't give the aircraft capabilities it didnt have and doesn't make it more effective than a fully crewed aircraft, I dont see a problem with it, from either the realism sense (because we make far greater realism sacrifices for sake of gameplay) or from an "exploit" perspective.

Trying to compare these mods with exploits and cheating is outright ridiculous. Just like the crybabies who call everything "assault." If everything is assault, then assault starts to not be very significant.

If this is an exploit, then exploits start to not be considered much of a problem.

Edited by Dino Might

I'm sad to see this change coming down the pike. Nonetheless, it will remain my favorite module to-date.

I think Jester is absolutely necessary for single crew ops, regardless of how much reach through control is allowed.

To all who are saying this shouldnt be allowed, how much of these capabilities using reach through control have you tried? Any experience with it in single or multiplayer? Or just assumptions on how it adversely affects gameplay?

Edited by Dino Might