VNAO T-45 Goshawk

Anyone else seeing this”

Yes we are encountering this tacan offset issue as well. It makes things extra difficult as you can imagine. In the video above we could see the tacan but the signal location remained stationary at the position of cv start at the beginning of the mission even as the cv itself continued steaming south.

I've found that issue before and the fix is very simple.

The Carrier first WP should have always speed edited on It. If the WP 0 has a zero speed value and the next WP is for example 25 knots, then the TACAN did not follow the Carrier movement.

Just edit WP 0 to have same speed as the next one an the TACAN will follow the Carrier.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I verified that WP0 for the carrier has the same speed assigned as WP1 in the mission the T-45 is showing the incorrect TACAN distance.  There are also Hornets in this mission, they show the correct TACAN distance.  You have given me an area to investigate, so will keep digging to find the root cause.

Finally downloaded this.  Pretty neat. Was able to figure out most of it, launch and trap on the boat but couldn't figure out comms so got no proper communications. Very easy to fly in.  Maybe too easy?  Comm menu \ just showed ground crew. Only did the Instant Action though.  Is my reading of the thread that it hasn't been reverse engineered yet?  Or I need to set it up in the ME?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Finally downloaded this.  Pretty neat. Was able to figure out most of it, launch and trap on the boat but couldn't figure out comms so got no proper communications. Very easy to fly in.  Maybe too easy?  Comm menu \ just showed ground crew. Only did the Instant Action though.  Is my reading of the thread that it hasn't been reverse engineered yet?  Or I need to set it up in the ME?

Yup. No radios, yet.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, DP Spaz said:

I verified that WP0 for the carrier has the same speed assigned as WP1 in the mission the T-45 is showing the incorrect TACAN distance.  There are also Hornets in this mission, they show the correct TACAN distance.  You have given me an area to investigate, so will keep digging to find the root cause.

If you want, add the mision file here and i will take a look.

You have a very simple one attached to test, is working fine for me, TCN following the carrier.

TACAN TEST T-45.miz

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

First things first: this is an incredible mod for DCS World. I am amazed this module was created as a freeware. My hat is off to the developers and the members of this community who made this possible.

In fact, this is the only only non-official modification I have ever installed into DCS World. In its current state, it is already better than the F-16C when it came out. Kudos!

I would just like to check one point: the carrier's "ball" seems to be a bit off in regard to the ideal glide slope / landing spot. Is this a know issue?

Thank you in advance for the reply!

On 6/13/2021 at 2:52 AM, Esac_mirmidon said:

If you want, add the mision file here and i will take a look.

You have a very simple one attached to test, is working fine for me, TCN following the carrier.

TACAN TEST T-45.miz 7.66 kB · 7 downloads

I have looked at this mission, no success identifying the cause of the TACAN error.  This mission was created before the release of the T-45 and was added to it after its release.  As mentioned, I have another mission, the TACAN reports correctly.  Maybe you can identify the cause.  Thanks!

Spaz Causacaus CVN71 CQs.miz

I can´t open the mission Spaz. I dont have the EA-6B mod and the link for the latest version is not available anymore.

PD: Ok Spaz, i´ve found the problem.

The CVN-71 is part of a naval group of 4 ships BUT, the Carrier is the number 2 in the group order, and it should be the number one. The Arleight Burke behind the Carrier is the number one and is exactly 2.1 NM from the Carrier. That means the TCN ON THE CARRIER DECK is pointing to the first ship on the group, the Destroyer at 2.1 NM instead of the Carrier.

Just edit the mission to make the Carrier the NUMBER 1 on the naval group and it should work.

This is your mission with a quick modification and the Carrier beeing the number 1 in the Group. TCN marking 0.0 NM as it should on the deck.

Spaz Causacaus CVN71 CQs-EDITED.miz

Edited by Esac_mirmidon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah... something simple yet elusive... thank you very much!  Makes sense now as the Burke behind is that distance.

Appreciate your help and identifying the problem.  I knew it had to be something simple.  This particular mission I mod'd from my friend specifically to practice CQs... the other mission its working I created from scratch.

Good to know this little detail... save headaches down the road!!!

Again thank you very much!!!

• Like 1

Glad to help Spaz. That Arleigh Burke exactly at the same distance as the Tacan reading was a hint in the right direction.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, had I opened my eyes a bit wider, maybe I would have seen it.  I really appreciate your help!!!  I've worked some with this mission editor, not nearly like I have with IL-2, which I'm very comfortable with and have created some very kool missions!  I'll keep working with this mission editor, and I'm slowly learning MIST... as I use the script ciribob created for my range practice.  I would love to add smoke markers to the bomb hits... MOOSE is the only way I know that's been done... well out of reach for me right now lol.

I've updated that specific mission with this change, and also pulled in the trailing Burke in to 1.5nm from the carrier.  I saw a few downloads of the file, so maybe other may be interested in it.

I've also attached my evening field carrier landing practice mission (FCLP) that makes use of the Navy Equipment mod which is really awesome!  I sure wish the portable IFLOLS was working, thrilled that they got the lighting fixed as I've been using this to practice my low light approaches.  I am very regimented, and use this often to prepare for going to the boat!  Guess thats the Naval Aviator in me 🙂

When VNAO release the T-45, that was a huge gap filler in Naval Aviation Flight Training.  If we can get the protable IFLOLS working, then we are about complete.

I did notice that when you change tail numbers on the T-45 with the VX-23 skin, the tail number does not change in the game.  Not sure if that was coded in or something missed.

Thanks again!!!

Spaz Causacaus CVN71 CQ.miz Spaz PG Eve Tunb Kochak FCLP.miz

Scripts are the way to go for rich enviroment missions.

Is tedious as f*** to learn from scratch but worth every minute invested in learning Moose, CTLD, MIST, etc.

Even a a virtual squad mate was making some scripts by himself. I really love one that makes a unit of your choice to act as a FAC on the ground lasing units at your choice, marking with smoke, giving coordinates of the targets, is  very fun to use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been trying out some landings with the T-45 on the Super Carrier. Even though I follow the exact procedure for a case I recovery, sometimes the hook will not engage, no matter how perfectly I fly the ball, or how precisely I follow the the E bracket down. Is that a known issue? 

2 hours ago, Mr. Crow said:

I have been trying out some landings with the T-45 on the Super Carrier. Even though I follow the exact procedure for a case I recovery, sometimes the hook will not engage, no matter how perfectly I fly the ball, or how precisely I follow the the E bracket down. Is that a known issue? 

Opinions seem to  differ on this. It has been suggested that since the ball is configured for the Hornet, following it precisely may not put you in the optimum spot. And there may possibly also be some subtle errors with the hook positioning and/or landing gear position and behaviour that affect trapping negatively. Some people seem to follow procedure and trap consistently. Others do the same thing, and have issues. Personally, I've not been able to be consistent enough to say one way or another, though it is clearly better for my ego to say it's the sims fault not mine.

I'd concentrate on trying to be consistent, and if you can do that, maybe try experimenting a bit to see if you can 'tweak' your approach slightly from the 'exact' real-world optimum to get better results. The mod is a work in progress, and it is possible that any issues will be resolved in a later release.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Like 1

I fly the T-45 regularly and have done many traps, not had any issues catching a wire.  There has been an occasional bolter, very infrequent and would contribute that to my approach rather than an issue with the mod.

There should not be any difference between aircraft with the IFLOLs, and have not noticed any in the aircraft I flown.  I will say that I've observed at times the IFLOLs does not seem to match where I touchdown on deck, similar to what you are saying, this has been in the Hornet.  It does not occur frequent enough for me to start really looking at this in detail.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 3:47 PM, DP Spaz said:

I fly the T-45 regularly and have done many traps, not had any issues catching a wire.  There has been an occasional bolter, very infrequent and would contribute that to my approach rather than an issue with the mod.

There should not be any difference between aircraft with the IFLOLs, and have not noticed any in the aircraft I flown.  I will say that I've observed at times the IFLOLs does not seem to match where I touchdown on deck, similar to what you are saying, this has been in the Hornet.  It does not occur frequent enough for me to start really looking at this in detail.

+1

I have no problems catching a wire, with a occasional bolter yes. 

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Crow said:

Thanks, guys! It should be me causing the hook to bounce/skip, or simply missing the wires somehow.

In my first flights i was not catching traps so easily, i soon find out that i need to slam the T-45 into the deck, i was used to the Hornet and i changed a few things like the abeam distance due to slower speed of the T-45 etc. Maybe somehow this will help you. nevertheless keep us informed please.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:15 PM, fagulha said:

In my first flights i was not catching traps so easily, i soon find out that i need to slam the T-45 into the deck, i was used to the Hornet and i changed a few things like the abeam distance due to slower speed of the T-45 etc. Maybe somehow this will help you. nevertheless keep us informed please.

That did the trick! Thanks!

• Like 1

Great you are back in the groove! 

On-speed AOA is key to making consistent traps!  This sets the the hook at the best angle to catch a wire.  And holding that all the way down to the deck, this is where you can loose that very quickly and result in bolters or waveoffs.  This is extremely important!  The fewer changes in close the higher probability you will catch a wire, provided you are in the groove. Get set early on downwind, and be on the numbers thru the downwind-to-final turn, and as you rollout on final... only minor corrections to maintain in the groove.  Picking the right spot on the deck to assess your approach as you get closer is also key, as it helps with over-correcting rather than chasing the ball or the ICLS needles if the aircraft is equipped. 

Remember that on-speed AOA changes with gross weight, and the aircraft will definitely handle differently.  I always check my gross weight before entering my approach, gives a heads-up on how things will go in the pattern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DP Spaz said:

Great you are back in the groove! 

On-speed AOA is key to making consistent traps!  This sets the the hook at the best angle to catch a wire.  And holding that all the way down to the deck, this is where you can loose that very quickly and result in bolters or waveoffs.  This is extremely important!  The fewer changes in close the higher probability you will catch a wire, provided you are in the groove. Get set early on downwind, and be on the numbers thru the downwind-to-final turn, and as you rollout on final... only minor corrections to maintain in the groove.  Picking the right spot on the deck to assess your approach as you get closer is also key, as it helps with over-correcting rather than chasing the ball or the ICLS needles if the aircraft is equipped. 

Remember that on-speed AOA changes with gross weight, and the aircraft will definitely handle differently.  I always check my gross weight before entering my approach, gives a heads-up on how things will go in the pattern.

That's a great point!  Often pilots in DCS load out full fuel, sometimes full combat loads on other aircraft, and try to do touch n go or carrier traps...is there anything in the T45 NATOPS on carrier trap weight limits?

• Like 2

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I never flew the T-45, that came after me... for sure those weights will be in the NATOPS. I did find a indiafoxtecho T45 manual for MSFS, I dont know the accuracy of the information contained in it, but it does have a weight chart which I've attached.  I have not done an internet search to try and verify.

T45 Weight Limits.JPG

• Like 4