Pimax 5K+ - distortion issue

sea2sky

Hi All, just received my headset. The extra resolution is a big step-up, but man - the distortion on the peripheral areas is killing me! It is very pronounced even at a small FOV. How do you guys deal with it? It is especially annoying to see objects squishing when turning your head left right quickly.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Gotta get your IPD dialed in correctly then it’s barely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

When you have the Pimax home screen, and you move the IPD dial on the bottom, the IPD is shown on screen. I can't remember if there is a "dial-in setting" for IPD like in Rift. I think(!) there was one though.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Have you downloaded the newest version of Pitool? It has a lot of new features to choose the best fit for your set up

yes, I have the latest one.

Gotta get your IPD dialed in correctly then it’s barely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep dialing it, but don't see much difference in respect to distortion. Switching back and forth with Rift - I have to say you get used to a wider FOV quickly and it is hard to go back. Hmm, distortion though is still bugging me.

I use the Kegatis Lite Vr Shader mod and don't really notice any distortion unless I'm trying to look way back over my shoulder at something. Also makes things a lot more smooth in the Pimax. I had a lot of jittering before I started using the mod...

Fargo

I9-9900, GTX1080Ti,32GRam,Pimax 5k+, HP Reverb, TM WartHog, MTG Pedals

I use the Kegatis Lite Vr Shader mod and don't really notice any distortion unless I'm trying to look way back over my shoulder at something. Also makes things a lot more smooth in the Pimax. I had a lot of jittering before I started using the mod...

I use that mod too, but it has nothing to do with the distortion issue.

I guess for many VR users it does not matter as much or may be folks just don't even try to look at it, but for me the peripheral distortion/squashing is an immersion breaker so far. Obviously it has something to do with the lens design having to accommodate a wide angle of view. By the way I tried the small FOV, but it is still noticible. I keep seeing some posts on pimax forum about a distortion profile built in to the pitool, and suggesting pimax could make it software adjustable. That would help for sure. Also, moving the headset just a few mm away from a face helps a bit too.

Interesting read about distortion profiles etc:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-distortion-editing/11493

Here is some guy talking about the same problem:

Edited by sea2sky