DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

Ugh I have spent most of the morning trying the cold start mission in the Hornet and then launch.

I get to the launch, get hooked up, and then I kick in afterburner and it never launches.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ugh I have spent most of the morning trying the cold start mission in the Hornet and then launch.

I get to the launch, get hooked up, and then I kick in afterburner and it never launches.

Salute...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salute...?

Yes I did that also.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Great, how do you do that?

Open a command prompt (Win+R -> type: cmd -> hit Enter).

Navigate to DCS folder (type: cd c:\<path to DCS World>\bin)

type: dcs_updater update @openbeta

Done.

Edited by dawgie79

Salute...?

OK I got it. Apparently the Vaicom Pro voice command for salute is not working proper for me

Assigned it to a button on my throttle and it worked.

Holy cow, just did my first cold start and take off from the carrier, flew around a bit and then landed.

Talk about immersion !! This thing is awesome.

Don B

Is there any plans to optimize the carrier itself?

I noticed that if I am inside the cockpit on the deck and look towards the bridge my fps is locked in at 30 but with sme stutters so not a smooth 30. And it doesn't matter if I add 6 planes in front of the bridge... still 30. So clearly ther bridge is not as well optimized?

I noticed that if I am inside the cockpit on the deck and look towards the bridge my fps is locked in at 30 but with sme stutters so not a smooth 30. And it doesn't matter if I add 6 planes in front of the bridge... still 30. So clearly ther bridge is not as well optimized?

The immediate workaround for that (it happens to me as well) is ALT+ENTER every time you switch windows and the first time you load the mission. Doing this it goes from the warped 30s to whatever your machine can handle with the SC in sight (mine is 55).

Stay safe

They are waiting for your salute . Once you do that the shooter will do final checks touch the deck then point down the runway and away you go, Hold on tight! :)

click on an aircraft? where exactly?

Wondering if it is possible to edit mission and change time to start in the night, seeing all that action in nightime must be fantastic.

EDIT:

I thought I would only be possible to edit custom created missions only. i've edited and changed time to midnight.

How ever I couldn't find how to save it with a new name...

There is a save as option in the same place all Save as options in windows are, under the file menu. First on the top left. Also generally when exiting the mission editor, if you've made changes, it ask if you want to save . Again like all windows programs that let you edit something.

The immediate workaround for that (it happens to me as well) is ALT+ENTER every time you switch windows and the first time you load the mission. Doing this it goes from the warped 30s to whatever your machine can handle with the SC in sight (mine is 55).

OH MY GOD!!!! THIS IS LIFE CHANGING!!!! WHAT!!! Just tried it - from stuttery 30fps to an absolute PERFECTLY smooth 60... whaaaaat!!!!! I never knew about this key binding and whatever it does? :huh:

I am so confused right now... how did I just double the performance of my sim using this?????

Massive thank you!!!

EDIT (after more gameplay): I am speachless. Doing this has literally doubled my performance all over. I don't mean just SC, I mean like everywhere all the time!!! I am now able to add dynamic shadows and run even smoother than before. This must be some kind of magic trick. I literally do not understand what just happened. Someone please explain... how have I just unlocked all this beaty and smoothess? Mind blown. Totally blown.

I must buy you a beer.

Edited by CommandT

I noticed that if I am inside the cockpit on the deck and look towards the bridge my fps is locked in at 30 but with sme stutters so not a smooth 30. And it doesn't matter if I add 6 planes in front of the bridge... still 30. So clearly the bridge is not as well optimized?

I'm sure there will be some optimizations and tweaks. It may get better if they ever get Vulcan implemented but something tells me it's more of a CPU issue. Thing is, you say 'locked' at 30? That sounds more like a v-sync issue. Try turning off v-sync in the game menu and on your video card control panel software to see if it makes any difference. Some v-sync settings will lock you in at 30 if they get too far below 60 or whatever if memory serves. If you've got a newer Nvidia card go into the control panel and try fast or adaptive v-sync if the sync turns out the be the problem and you just have to have some manner on. OR, just ignore me if you've already tried all this.:pilotfly:

Edited by rfxcasey

Open a command prompt (Win+R -> type: cmd -> hit Enter).

Navigate to DCS folder (type: cd c:\<path to DCS World>\bin)

type: dcs_updater update @openbeta

Done.

So are you saying I shouldn't be downloading the Open Beta version from the DCS website right now cause it's trying to download 60GB and it's taking forever?

Couple issues I've noticed in the Tomcat:

1) Tomcat nose strut sometimes needs to be raised after landing?

2) Tail hook getting stuck. Sometimes required to pull me back to almost to 4 wire before it releases. Doesn't seem to matter if I raise and lower it. If I just try to taxi, it pulls me back when I throttle back.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Couple issues I've noticed in the Tomcat:

1) Tomcat nose strut sometimes needs to be raised after landing?

2) Tail hook getting stuck. Sometimes required to pull me back to almost to 4 wire before it releases. Doesn't seem to matter if I raise and lower it. If I just try to taxi, it pulls me back when I throttle back.

I noticed on one launch of the F14 that in external view the shuttle was still ahead of the nose gear despite having followed all the deck crew instructions to hook up, was being given the instruction to run the engines up etc. i decided to plough on and the launch went ahead fine. I was going to save the track file as evidence but that was all screwed up (when I did playback my plane ploughed badly into another jet when taxiing on the deck, which definitely didn't happen).

OH MY GOD!!!! THIS IS LIFE CHANGING!!!! WHAT!!! Just tried it - from stuttery 30fps to an absolute PERFECTLY smooth 60... whaaaaat!!!!! I never knew about this key binding and whatever it does? :huh:

I am so confused right now... how did I just double the performance of my sim using this?????

Massive thank you!!!

EDIT (after more gameplay): I am speachless. Doing this has literally doubled my performance all over. I don't mean just SC, I mean like everywhere all the time!!! I am now able to add dynamic shadows and run even smoother than before. This must be some kind of magic trick. I literally do not understand what just happened. Someone please explain... how have I just unlocked all this beaty and smoothess? Mind blown. Totally blown.

I must buy you a beer.

The ALT+Enter switches from windowed to full screen. It is a standard Windows shortcut key combo. If its running better in full screen then you can check or un-check "full screen" in the settings screen.

So are you saying I shouldn't be downloading the Open Beta version from the DCS website right now cause it's trying to download 60GB and it's taking forever?

No, I'm saying you don't need to download the Open Beta (if you'd want OB installed), you can update your Stable install to the Open Beta one with the commands I wrote.

If you want Stable as well as Open Beta installed at the same time, you'd need to download Open Beta. :)

If you want Stable as well as Open Beta installed at the same time, you'd need to download Open Beta. :)

That's what I did. I like having 2 completely independent parallel installs so I can switch back and forth from OB to Stable without having to torrent necessary files each time I want to switch branches :smilewink:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

I discovered something kind of cool this afternoon.

I had been runnign for the longest with my terrain object shadows set on Flat Only.

I changed it to Default , and flew the Hornet Cold Start mission on the Roosevelt again.

My regular shadows I had had and still have on High.

So previously, at the start of that mission , with the two Hornets getting ready to take off when I enter my dark cockpit, fps on my Rift S would be below 40 fps, down to around 28-30. Once those guys got airborne i went back up to 40 fps whilst on the deck taxiing for takeoff.

Well after the change from flat only to default, my FPS on the deck at the start of the mission never dropped below 40 fps, and performance in the air seemed better, I would get to 80 fps quicker.

IIRC previously it was the opposite, default shadows were more demanding than flat only. That is certainly not the case now on my end.

Don B

Yes, they've posted wands are coming. Hopefully sooner than later.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2