DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

I was trying to explain the context that would help explain the answer to this statement,

So if you have a couple of feet of visibility they will ask you to fly the ball? See what I'm saying now? That can't be right.
But apparently the inquirer had 3,000 hours and didn't need my help... apparently in those thousands of hours of flying they often transitioned to the PAPI from the GS in only a couple of feet of visibility.. because they so often flew ILS's in a couple of feet of visibility.

..never mind that's not even legal.

Have to say it is awesome to see some actual carrier discussion going on. I mean that with all sincerity, Thanks to all for the IRL carrier operations information.

Motherboard ASUSTek TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)

Processor Intel i5 9400

Memory VENGENCE PRO RGB 32GB

Video Card # 1 GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660 6GB GDDR6

Power Supply Thermaltake GOLD 850 RGB

Sound Card NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

Monitor 1. Vizio 32" 2. Samsung 32" 3. Samsung 32"

Operating System Windows 10 64 Bit build 19035.1

Have to say it is awesome to see some actual carrier discussion going on. I mean that with all sincerity, Thanks to all for the IRL carrier operations information.

Yeap, totally agree, that's why I was so interested in GB's insight. The other guy... well... got blocked. I still got an unanswered question, the one about the landing lights while landing at night. Aren't those supposed to be on?

Stay safe

So we're hearing it can comfortably handle 10-14 player aircraft at a time. I assume that comes out as 4 aircraft on the catapults+10 parked. While that doesn't seem like a whole lot, I actually suspect that's actually quite a lot.

By my estimation, that comes out as all catapults full, plus a line of 2 aircraft for each one...plus 2 others. I wonder if another player slot opens up once a player is off the deck. That could potentially mean that *for every catapult position* there's potentially 1 aircraft hooked up preparing to launch, another one taxiing or waiting for it to open, and a 3rd that just spawned in and is starting up. How long would it take to realistically perform a cold start and taxi behind the JBD, and how does that compare to the amount of time engaged with the hookup and launch position? I'm guessing what I'm trying to suggest is that it might be possible to run 15-30 aircraft off the same ship during a MP session, even considering the limited player slots.

Yeap, totally agree, that's why I was so interested in GB's insight. The other guy... well... got blocked. I still got an unanswered question, the one about the landing lights while landing at night. Aren't those supposed to be on?

The landing/taxi light is OFF for daytime AND NIGHTTIME operations at the ship. Just to be clear :).

Edit: forgot to mention, Paddles cannot see the AOA indexer lights in the nose with the taxi light on.

The landing/taxi light is OFF for daytime AND NIGHTTIME operations at the ship. Just to be clear :).

Edit: forgot to mention, Paddles cannot see the AOA indexer lights in the nose with the taxi light on.

Oooh, ok ok. So they land with landing lights off unless ordered different.

Stay safe

Oooh, ok ok. So they land with landing lights off unless ordered different.

Off except for the two exceptions I described earlier. Normal ops = off. The taxi light is off 99.9% of the time.

I think that the aircraft carrier is not illuminated enough in the dark. The orange ceiling lighting is somehow too weak.

The IFLOS lights are just unusable. My goodness. That was a problem before and is still a problem. It's just a light!... .I hope you correct that. I'm looking forward to the improvement.

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

I've Also noticed in a couple of videos, that AI units engage taxi lights while on the deck before launch, blinding the crew and other pilots. Anyways, those are pre-release videos, so I'm going to wait until it's out for real, before starting to post comments like this one :)

Based on what?

Pictures and Videos !. So far, none of us have been on an aircraft carrier.

But do you think it's so good?. How can ED determine this?. Everyone feels it differently and this makes it hard to hit the nail on the head. In my opinion it is so :dunno:

This is only an example.

Yes i know camera blah blah...i will now order a ticket for the night tour of the aircraft carrier :D

Cheers

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

IRL procedures:

You will be asked to call the ball. If you can't see it you say "clara." If you can't see the ship you say "clara ship." Conditions have to be relatively bad to get to that.

If you say clara or clara ship, Paddles will give you a talkdown until you can see the ball. All you need to say then is "ball." You'll get a "roger ball" and though Paddles isn't required to talk you down anymore, they'll probably continue.

If you call clara or clara ship and Paddles can't see you, you will be told "continue" in which case you will descend to the approach minimums (TACAN, ICLS, ACLS, whatever the lowest is for what you have). If no ball or no Paddles contact at minimums, waveoff. That situation is extremely rare. I have only seen it once.

When the weather is bad where there will be clara calls or Paddles may have a hard time seeing the jet, "99, taxi lights on"will be announced on the radio. With the taxi light on, that SIGNIFICANTLY increases the odds of Paddles seeing you in poor visibility and they can wave you that way. That is why the situation where Paddles says continue and then you have to waveoff at minimums is so exceedingly rare.

Just detailing my experience from my time on the ocean. For every low vis video on YouTube, there’s 50 high vis videos that never got recorded.

Again, even if the vis is less than 3/4 mile, the ship and IFLOLS could be visible with its bright lights. Vis less than 3/4 of a mile is just not very common.

Vis has to be wayyyy more severe than even that for LSOs to not even see the taxi light.

If you mean low vis (1ish mile visibility or better), that is no problem.

Enjoyed the discussion!

The taxi light is the same thing as the landing light.

Case 1/2, the jet will not have any lights on from startup to shutdown; the pinky switch will be aft.

Case 3, the jet will turn all lights on via the pinky switch just prior to catapult launch, and then all of them off once the jet stops on the trap. The exception is the taxi light. That is never on at the carrier with only a couple of exceptions.

Exception 1: a jet with radio failure will flash the taxi light to indicate the failure to Paddles.

Exception 2: Visibility deteriorates to the point where Paddles directs all planes to turn on the taxi lights.

Off except for the two exceptions I described earlier. Normal ops = off. The taxi light is off 99.9% of the time.

Thank you to take time to give us these informations.:)

:lol:

I think the first video is overexposed. The second video I thought looked fairly similar to this image:

nrxxpurnzbm41.png

Maybe hold off on the pitchforks for now, I think some of this is going to be down to our own individual settings. :thumbup:

We will see :joystick:

I was in the Army from 72-75 stationed overseas and know nothing about Ships.

When watching a F-18 getting ready to take off, all the people on deck have the

different shirts on and are totally in charge of the plane.

There is a 5-7 foot long by 3-4 foot glassed in area and I was wondering

who is sitting in there ? Or just a camera ? Thanks for help with this question.

Mike

I was in the Army from 72-75 stationed overseas and know nothing about Ships.

When watching a F-18 getting ready to take off, all the people on deck have the

different shirts on and are totally in charge of the plane.

There is a 5-7 foot long by 3-4 foot glassed in area and I was wondering

who is sitting in there ? Or just a camera ? Thanks for help with this question.

Mike

Do you mean the bubble?

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Is the "raise launch bar" hand signal realistic, or a gameplay feature? It's hard to find any evidence on the real operations (videos highlight the action and not the hand signals) but the manual states: "When directed, raise the launch bar to seat it in the catapult shuttle."

But when I look at launch operations footage, the shuttle puts pressure on the launch bar and slides it into position. It then seems that the tension between hold-back bar and shuttle controls the position, and commanding a retraction wouldn't have any effect...

But I could see this animation existing if the majority of testers were having repeated problems retracting the landing gear because they didn't put the switch into retract after going into tension...

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcombatindex.com%2Fhardware%2Fimages%2Fair%2Ff18%2FC%2FLG%2Ffa-18_605.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

:lol:

I think the first video is overexposed. The second video I thought looked fairly similar to this image:

nrxxpurnzbm41.png

Maybe hold off on the pitchforks for now, I think some of this is going to be down to our own individual settings. :thumbup:

As a former Plane Captain with an F-14 squadron and who worked mostly night ops, I will say this, the lights on the Island were not very bright, but you could still tell the difference from the aft, bow and center of the ship as far as lighting goes. Starting your aircraft on the fantail for night ops you can see shapes, it is not 100% pitch black but it is damn close. If your Trouble Shooter tried to signal you with his bare hands you would not be able to see his motions under the plane. flashlights with gels in them are definitely needed. faces are unrecognizable unless within a foot or two. under the superstructure a little different. it is lit, not as much as those other videos. The exposure is bumped up a lot but you are able to make out faces, objects and see where you are walking i would say a half moon night but with a yellow tint. looking at the photo above, it is spot on. that light is there to assist but not by much. you definitely would be night blinded if anyone used white light in that area. A little antidote to show how much the light helps. If we launched from Cat 3 an F- 14A there at night It would illuminate the faces of those standing under the superstructure. and that it around 50' away. so the AB at 50' has more lumens than the light from the Island.

This video is closer to the exposure

Edited by atsugi

Is the "raise launch bar" hand signal realistic, or a gameplay feature? It's hard to find any evidence on the real operations (videos highlight the action and not the hand signals) but the manual states: "When directed, raise the launch bar to seat it in the catapult shuttle."

But when I look at launch operations footage, the shuttle puts pressure on the launch bar and slides it into position. It then seems that the tension between hold-back bar and shuttle controls the position, and commanding a retraction wouldn't have any effect...

But I could see this animation existing if the majority of testers were having repeated problems retracting the landing gear because they didn't put the switch into retract after going into tension...

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcombatindex.com%2Fhardware%2Fimages%2Fair%2Ff18%2FC%2FLG%2Ffa-18_605.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

In some Hornets, the launch bar goes up after launch/once the gear handle is placed in the up position, automatically. Not in ours, AFAIK (it does in DCS, but shouldn't). Retracting the gear is normally not possible until the bar is retracted. You place the switch in the up position after the hook-up. Because the bar is hooked on the catapult, it doesn't retract, but it will as soon as it's free.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Not in ours, AFAIK (it does in DCS, but shouldn't)

You're right! I just tested it and the bar retracts as soon as it leaves the shuttle, even with the switch down.

Looking at the manual, it states that for our version, this should not happen. It says that the nose wheel does not retract if the red launch bar light is on, and that this can result in a hydraulic seal failure.

It also states that the pilot should be retracting the launch bar after the engines are turned up... not the direction of the catapult officer (who probably doesn't care as he can't see any movement of the bar anyways I suspect)..

well great... a bug it seems. EDIT: Okay cool, it's already listed as a wishlist item, now about that hand signal...

Edited by randomTOTEN