DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

My anticipation is empty now. Been waiting too long for vids/news/info or whatever. I keep seeing "soon" attached to the Supercarrier on any type of request too many times. There's 31 days left in Q1 so maybe the marketing will start "soon".

Calm down, it will come

Calm down, it will come

I'm calm:), especially since I pre-ordered on day one. No option but to way.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Why? The F16 isn't designed to land on a carrier. The hook would probably get ripped off if you tried, assuming there was much left of the plane after the gear collapsed.

Then why did they put a tail hook on the F16 if its not designed to use one ?

Well I looked it up:

They had a hook to engage a departure or arrival end barrier in case of ANTISKID FAIL or loss of brake pressure.

You were right !

Go for it! You can drop the hook on the F-5, I see no reason why not on the F-16. This is a game, play it however you want, and have a blast doing it!

Heck, they may not have modeled the damage from trying to arrest the landing on an F-16, but if the new damage model comes out and you get a stream of broken viper parts sliding across the deck I'll do it just to see the carnage!

The hook is there, and a lever in the cockpit to lower it, but it does not function.

It would be lotsa fun to try !!!!

Hook or no, you cannot land a Viper on a carrier, the landing gear would collapse with the required descent rate.

Officially and safely - no. But with enough wind over deck - doable with any aircraft in DCS. Also possible with out-of-envelope maneuvers like Cobra landing without stressing the gear.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Let's put this Viper/Carrier discussion to rest, PLEEEEASE. Everybody wants realism/immersion until it no longer suits them. There's nothing real about a F-16 landing on a carrier.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Let's put this Viper/Carrier discussion to rest, PLEEEEASE. Everybody wants realism/immersion until it no longer suits them. There's nothing real about a F-16 landing on a carrier.

+1

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

Please.

It's a game. They have F-16s, they've already got a carrier or two. Spawn F-16, put hook down, land on carrier all you want. If you prang something spawn a new one. Repeat at will.

Makes me want to force all the hyper-realism people to watch the (original) Star Trek episode "Taste of Armageddon". Sorry, you died, now you have to report to the disintegration chamber.

ED could end this easily by a statement like: Viper's hook will be modeled realistically some day.

I will be very patient with the release date of this feature. ;)

In fact I have faith that some day we will definitely see some flying debris caused by Vipers trying to get trapped on the DCS supercarrier.

I understand the angst now. Put an F-16 behind the carrier (landing gear is called LG lever? Really? Who came up with these names?), mapped the controls I couldn't live without, discovered the hook doesn't come down, and did a couple touch-and-goes because I'm not good enough to slow down in time.

That 16 flies like a wet dream. Want to see the pieces skid across the deck when the hook rips the poor thing in half though.

Might have to try with an F-5. That hook goes down, but it doesn't come back up.

The F-16's tail hook is designed for land based arrest systems. It CANNOT land on an aircraft carrier.

PLEASE STOP.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just wait for Grim Reapers to try it. They’ll prove them wrong...:D

F/A-18C Hornet, i9 9900K OC 5.0G, 1TB Intel 660 M.2 SSD, Z390 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, GeForce RTX 2080TI, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T-Rudder, Oculus Rift S, Open Wheeler GEN2 Sim Chair w/ Warthog Upgrade.

Boom. You just described the DCS fan base in a nutshell. :thumbup:

Just wait for Grim Reapers to try it. They’ll prove them wrong...:D

Definitely will be watching that video when Cap releases it. :D

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 :thumbup:

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

+1 :thumbup:
:thumbup:!

Any CV Pilots that can tell me how close the other ships in the group would be to the carrier during launch and recovery ops? Is there any safety ring around the boat doing takeoff and landing ops or do the ships cruise right up along side while aircraft are operating in the pattern?

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not a CV pilot, but I was in the Navy for 23 years. When I was on the cruiser (a VLS Ticonderoga, like what we have in DCS), the CO's Standing Orders included instructions to remain at least clear of the carrier by at least 1,000 yards (1/2 mile) if astern, 2,000 yards (1 mile) if abeam, and 3,000 yards (1.5 nautical miles) if forward.

We spent a lot of time as "CV Shotgun", on the planeguard station, 1,500 yards astern and slightly to starboard of the carrier centerline (pretty much along the angle deck glide path at the 3/4 mile point).

The rest of the strike group was usually over the horizon, or at minimum, 5 miles out from the carrier if in a relatively tight screen. Most of the major exercises/war games I participated in involved "disaggregated operations" where the small boys (destroyers and frigates) were off doing their own thing, maneuvering entirely independently of the carrier.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I'm not a CV pilot, but I was in the Navy for 23 years. When I was on the cruiser (a VLS Ticonderoga, like what we have in DCS), the CO's Standing Orders included instructions to remain at least clear of the carrier by at least 1,000 yards (1/2 mile) if astern, 2,000 yards (1 mile) if abeam, and 3,000 yards (1.5 nautical miles) if forward.

We spent a lot of time as "CV Shotgun", on the planeguard station, 1,500 yards astern and slightly to starboard of the carrier centerline (pretty much along the angle deck glide path at the 3/4 mile point).

The rest of the strike group was usually over the horizon, or at minimum, 5 miles out from the carrier if in a relatively tight screen. Most of the major exercises/war games I participated in involved "disaggregated operations" where the small boys (destroyers and frigates) were off doing their own thing, maneuvering entirely independently of the carrier.

Thank you, I've been looking for this information all over the internet! :thumbup:

You're welcome. I'm glad someone else cares. Most of the DCS missions I've seen seem to be based on strike group photo op formations.

Also, I think it's in CV NATOPS that the planeguard helo should be no closer than 1.5 miles to starboard of the carrier. When I was stationed on a carrier, we called that the "Starboard Delta" because of the D-shaped pattern the helo flew. If memory serves, the planeguard helo flies at 300 feet and below to keep 500 feet of vertical separation from the CASE I pattern.

Also, we rarely flew a planeguard helo when there was a ship on the shotgun station astern of the carrier.

Edited by Yoda967

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

Spent 3 years at sea as an Avionics Tech in the Canadian Air Force (no royal in the name when I was in). Sailed on the AORs maintaining the Sea King. We sailed with US carrier groups several times. While I have seen lots of destroyers and frigates and even a couple of subs at sea I've never seen an aircraft carrier. They were always too far away to see.

So the tight formations I see around the Stennis are always a source of amusement to me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good info, can we find anything documenting the stand-off spacing for cyclic ops vs general cruise? I realize that resupply happens pretty close quarters parallel when transferring fuel and supplies. Most of the IRL videos on YouTube don't show any other ships near the carrier during launch and recovery. I've been spreading my group out about 1NM.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]