Anyone use Padlock?

Nope, as I use headtracking (TrackIR).

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Can you lock on another aircraft with that? I only know about ground.

Yes. I believe F5 is the "Closest Aircraft View" and it will padlock your view on the closest aircraft.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Yes. I believe F5 is the "Closest Aircraft View" and it will padlock your view on the closest aircraft.

Not at my game PC now but closest aircraft view is not a padlock but shows you externally your aircraft to the aircraft nearest. It's useful for SA.

I use 'padlock next' to cycle padlock aircraft within view in the cockpit. It's good for dogfight turns. Only thing is you have to have two conveniently mapped buttons to quickly stop padlock and re-centre to avoid disorientation.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Nope, as I use headtracking (TrackIR).

Do track IR and padlock actually work at the same time? Can you padlock something and it will ignore trackIR until you unpadlock it?

I use track IR as well but aircraft just blend in to the scenery so easily that I always seems to lose sight of whatever I am turning with, even when I am looking right at it.

Nah did once or twice, I didn't think it very useful after getting Track IR

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I use it with Track IR. It helps when I raise my virtual seat to help with bullet drop in tight turns. But it can be a nuisance because of response lag when choosing a new target. I find that when you unlock a target, it takes a full second of so for the view to return to TIR-forward. Then when you are ready to re-lock, it locks on either the next aircraft of the flight you WERE following, or or some other one well removed from the one you spot close by. All the while, pivoting slowly with your VR head and almost making you blow chunks as you try to regain your bearings and re-sight the last bandit you wanted because the lag has let them get away of of sight. I also don't have much scale dialed in to my setup so I don't get a good 270+ view, especially up and down. My spikey stick makes for a general barnstormer freeforall anyway. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

I used to use padlock a lot back in the Flanker 1.5 days. However it was the combination of padlock with the mini-hud that made it useable, because the mini-hud always showed you where the nose of the plane was compared to the current view. This let you keep your padlock view on the bandit without losing spatial orientation. It also helped to use snap view forward during padlock. The snap view took priority over padlock so that you could see where the nose was pointing, and then the view snapped back to padlock when the snap view button was released. So you could glance forward and then have your "head" automatically turn back to the target without having to reacquire visually. It was a nifty setup, that does not work so well in DCS, in large part because the mini-HUD is non-functional in most aircraft.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

• 1 month later...
Bump - anyone have issues unlocking padlock? I’ve mapped it to my joystick but it seems like my view will still get stuck. Can’t pan or recenter. Not using TIR or any other head tracking.

Check or uncheck in ( gameplay )

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

Bump - anyone have issues unlocking padlock? I’ve mapped it to my joystick but it seems like my view will still get stuck. Can’t pan or recenter. Not using TIR or any other head tracking.

Yes sometimes it happens. I mapped two commands to stick - cancel padlock and then recenter to front (incase it doesn’t recenter after canceling or does something weird). Padlocks are best used in one on one dogfights where there isn’t another plane around to mess things up. Useless for ground stuff since they don’t differentiate between air and ground.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

Yes sometimes it happens. I mapped two commands to stick - cancel padlock and then recenter to front (incase it doesn’t recenter after canceling or does something weird). Padlocks are best used in one on one dogfights where there isn’t another plane around to mess things up. Useless for ground stuff since they don’t differentiate between air and ground.

Unfortunately when it got stuck I couldn’t even get it to recenter. However the tip posted above by Foxfire Twoone has done the trick. I previously mapped my padlock commands under the individual aircraft controls, but mapping them under “General” rather than an aircraft specific menu has it working much more reliably!

Thanks for the tip!

What is padlock :dunno:

:D Marc..

Selecting padlock will lock your eyes on the nearest aircraft. It will always be in the center of your view, but it is very easy to forget which way your plane is facing during extreme angles...hence the need to quickly reorient your view to the HUD/forward view.

It’s a quick way of locating the hostile if you lose sight of him, which is easy to do given the limitations of video technology.

• 1 month later...

Can't get this to work. Can't you padlock a position on the ground? Im looking at the ground and pressing CTRL and Num. keys but it's doing absolutely nothing. And yes I have the padlock tickbox checked in options.

//Flaming Cliffs 3 / T16000 HOTAS / TrackIR 5 / i7 4770k@4.5GHZ / EVGA RTX 2070 / 32GB 1600MHZ RAM/ Samsung Evo 1TB SSD//

Hmm, I use it a lot, all air to air. In fact, the priority bias is kinda frustrating when you are in a furball and want to switch targets. You can clear it once or twice and try to select another but it keeps going back to the old target or toggle through in sequence to the remaining targets. It may just be that you have to clear it a couple times or wait for it to register. My buttons are programmed to the my old Cougar. Works fine there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Can't get this to work. Can't you padlock a position on the ground? Im looking at the ground and pressing CTRL and Num. keys but it's doing absolutely nothing. And yes I have the padlock tickbox checked in options.

Do you have an A2G mode selected, when you try this?

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have an A2G mode selected, when you try this?

Oh is it suppose to work that way? Will have to try it although I think I recall it padlocking ground targets randomly sometimes even when I am padlocking air targets. Sometimes it also padlocks some empty space in the sky where I don’t even see a plane.

• 2 years later...