TrackIR and JHMCS Difficulty

GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Anyone find it difficult/unnatural to place the JHMCS circle on a moving turning target? I guess it is easier in real life compared to TrackIR which has to speed up and multiply head movements on screen. Any tips? Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

I tried for quite a time - with DIY Opentrack...

It takes quite a lot of time and microadjustment of the head, because your eyes are not able to couterbalance on the screen...

This is mostly due to the offset between headmovement and camera movement (30° - 160° or whatever the setting are)...

Train a lot and it will become better, but I don't expect it to become good as it is in a ratio. Should be a lot better in VR where you can chose a one to one ratio.

I am TIR5 user and have got no problems with JHMCS whatsoever.

Perhaps it's the TIR profile you need to look at.

I use one Wags posted ages ago.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Not sure if this will help because I don't even know what JHMCS is but I have large null zones set for my TrackIR5. That may not be the correct term. I have, in both vertical and horizontal view angles, set so I can turn my head about 10 degrees each way before my view begins to move on the screen. This has helped a lot w/ cutting out unintentional movement. It also gives kind of a snap back action when you have angled your view because as soon as it gets to 9 deg it snaps to center.

My main issue with the JHMCS was that it is configured to line up with the centre of the screen, while the default eyeline is at 2/3 i.e. the JHMCS cross is 13° lower than the player's natural eyeline.

attachment.php?attachmentid=203434&stc=1&d=1548859287

... this meant the JHMCS never looked at the same place I did unless I was zoomed in.

Adjusting the default view using 'snap view', so the horizion sits near the screen center made it much better.

attachment.php?attachmentid=203473&d=1548902071

As I had difficulty looking down at some cockpit switches if the JHMCS is perfectly aligned, I settled on a 4° low misalignment as a compromise - it's much more natural than the 13° default (= 7° TIR real).

Adjusting snap views is discussed here and in several older A-10C threads.

IRL the JHMCS cross is adjusted by the pilot to their eyeline each flight but as it isn't modelled in DCS, we need to adjust DCS's default view.

YMMV

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Is it difficult. Moving the jet and keep you head still in an odd position. Also sharing tir5 profiles might give a general clue but people have very different setup's , so adjust your own and it will take some time :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You guys that aren't having problems should be sharing profiles with the ones that are.

The problem with this is the fact that no two profiles are exactly the same. Lots of different variables come into play, such as: distance from the sensor your sitting, height of the sensor in relation to your head, how much movement does the individual actually want to perform; just to name a few.

I play on a large screen (45"), and my sensor is a little higher than it should be, but with some tweaking I make it work. I actually spent several hours tweaking.

I actually started with these two websites: https://turningpointpt.com/pain/neck-pain/neck-range-of-motion-at-turning-point-physical-therapy and http://www.hazardcontrol.com/factsheets/humanfactors/visual-acuity-and-line-of-sight to get a good idea of just how much movement I should be getting, then tweaked my TIR5 to only have to move about 30 degrees to get those limits, and further adjusting the speed of the turn so TIR5 doesn't go wild from just a little bit of movement.

TIR5 is a great asset, but it's certainly not a plug and play. It takes a bit of time and personal preference to get it right.

I´m with you. I switch from VR to track IR when I need to learn a new plane (I need the extra resolution), and while in VR is easy and natural (look and lock), on Track IR requires some practice. Maybe you could twich the response curve a little, and reduce the dead zone.

i think the unpleasantness is accounted more by the fact that the jhmcs axes seem horizon oriented instead of aircraft oriented. this then couples with the vertical axis acceleration of the 9x reticule to create some distinctly unnatural feeling movements when trying to slew the sight around outside of the straight and level flight.

i imagine this may actually be true to life where pilots tend to tilt their head to the horizon but the home environment is distinctly different.

Edited by probad

• 6 months later...

I just spent a couple of hours trying to get this better. I started out w/ the JHMCS cue being much lower than the velocity vector. I tried looking down various amounts and then hitting F12 to center the Track IR. That didn't work too well because one's standard line of sight is then above the VV and you have to look way down to see the DDIs. So I went into the TIR settings. And thought I'd try the default TIR setting which I have never used since it made it all way too fast and jumpy. It did make the JHMCS possible to use but not ideal. So I thought I would mod my curves to help. I left my null zones the same. I have them at about 7-8 deg of head movement before the TIR view moves. In pitch, I unchecked the symetrical? box and gave significantly more angle to the UP curve and left the DOWN curve alone. In yaw, I left it symetrical, but cranked up more response to head movement. This has helped a lot. It is still not perfect. If I move my head just enough to the side to get the JHMCS cue to show, it is still way lower than the VV. But adjusting my TIR response curve means I can over come that drop much more easily. This is the route of the problem and I don't understand why it is that way. There are quite a few threads on this so it is not a one person problem. ED, are you listening? But now, w/ my modified TIR curves, it is usable at least. Still too dang jumpy but I think that will get better as this is only my 3rd day using JHMCS.

Maybe its the fact that you don't have to align the JHMCS to the HUD/BRU alignment cross in the start up whilst pushing the cage/uncage button....... ED missed it on their start up process for the hornet.

Sorry doesn't help i know, work's fine for me in VR.

Some say wait for VR, which i don't understand at all anymore. DCS looks amazing in VR and that's only on the Rift S. People talk about immersion which is impressive and does feel like being in a real aircraft, but its more the situational awareness you get close in on CAS or AA makes a huge difference and you will note yourself working out attack angles better using topography etc. If you play DCS and enjoy it, invest in VR. I have a 55inch 4k screen that never gets used anymore because of the Rift at a fraction of the price.

I was skeptical until i played in VR, when my original rift lead died i had to revert back briefly to monitor and it seemed very mundane, actually tuned it off until my rift s arrived 3 days later - no going back and that was on the original rift!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Hi all, after reading through this I set my TrackIR speed setting to .8, it definitely made a difference. It is no longer so twitchy.

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

Hi all, after reading through this I set my TrackIR speed setting to .8, it definitely made a difference. It is no longer so twitchy.

I will look into this speed setting tomorrow. I have tweaked the heck out of the angle response curves but never touched speed. Learning all the time. But still, why is the HUD aiming circle where it is and the JHMCS a lot lower? Makes no sense to me. If I were going to make them different, I would make the JHMCS higher since we are almost always looking up when in a dog fight. What is it I don't understand.

Edited by CBStu

I don't have any problem with it, using this profile https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300419/

I tried it w/o success. It did give me the thought that I need to have increased view movement per head movement so I have made changes to my profile. But the underlying issue remains. The targeting que in the hud is somewhere in the vertical middle of the head. If you turn your head just enough that the JHMCS que pops up, it is much lower in your view than the hud que. Getting tired of tilting my head way back and looking down along my nose to get the JHMCS que usable.