[DCS BUG] AI WIngmen fuel consumption excessive?

Silversmith

I regularly fly a 60 min CAP mission orbiting 50 miles from the carrier with an AI wingman. Random threats may (or may not) turn up. Usually at the end of the CAP station time I have 40-50% fuel remaining, so an easy romp back to the carrier. But my AI wingman calls Bingo and usually crashes out of fuel before we get back. Seems to happen on any missing involving an AI wingman. Anyone else seeing this? Don't understand why, if flying the same track , the AI seems to use fuel at twice the rate I do.

Edited by IronMike

I flew with an AI wingman on a SP bombing mission only ~70 miles away and he ran out of fuel bombing the targets. The AI definitely does not consider fuel management.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I have the same issue: most of the times I'm at 50-60% fuel and my AI wingman calls BINGO fuel. Even at the F-14 mission "protect the Viksburg" where we fly at around 850kts.

F-15C Eagle | A-10A Warthog | A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL | F-14 Tomcat | Persian Gulf

My hardware :

Gigabyte Aorus I Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel i7-9700K@5,1Ghz | eVGA RTX2080Ti SC | Corsair 32GB RAM DDR4@3200Mhz | NZXT Kraken X52 | NZXT H200 | LG 34UB88-B | 2x Samsung Evo 970 500GB Nvme | TM Warthog | CH Pro pedals | Pimax 5K+

Did you check what speed did you fly. Maybe ai was using afterburner most of time to keep in formation. Use max 0.8 mach on cruise.

320 kts. Neither of us in afterburner. I notice if I'm in the Rio seat Iceman is constantly flicking the throttle between Idle and Mil. Maybe that's what AI pilots do :joystick:!

Did you check what speed did you fly. Maybe ai was using afterburner most of time to keep in formation. Use max 0.8 mach on cruise.

Nah, not possible. I fly between 250-300 knots to my waypoints. I'll check to make sure but I think the AI uses a lot of fuel during the bombing runs. I noticed he kept calling "running in" faster than other AI wingmen in other jets. I'll monitor this next time.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

To be honest: in all modules I own, the wingmen tend to go unnecessarily high on power when attempting to rejoin formation etc., usually reaching low fuel way before me. I always took that to be a core ED AI problem.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• 2 years later...

2021 some modules later and this is still a major bug. Will not call it any other just flew a mission in my viper, simple traning run at  about 300 miles half way wingman call bingo, send him to tanker, 70 miles away.  Never heard from him again since he ejected before reaching the tanker. What did he do... running burner all the way.. I landed with almost 4000lb of fuel, we both had center tank. Saw in their roadmap that they will try to give the ai an overhaul... most needed as the rest of parts for the Viper. Wish they actually finished a sold early access before putting out a new and fixed the core game. 

Yes, indeed. There are two workarounds:

1. I don't care method - he's usually not needed for anything when action is over and mission success does not depend on his survival.

2. Immersion method - wait for him flying very slowly or orbiting before he joins, put him on hold whenever you don't need his help, cruise at high alt, slower, never full MIL.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 months later...

Wingmen will always use more fuel due to using the afterburner to keep up with you, pull an orbit or 2 at the airfield and let him join up and it'll be much less of an issue, all wingmen AI or player will always use more fuel than the flight lead due to the nature of formation flight, other than that just set your bingo higher than the standard to account for wingmen's lower amounts.

• Like 1

PC Specs                                                                           Owned Modules                                                                 Wishlist                                           

Ryzen 7 3700X                                                              F-18 - F-14 - FC3                                     AC-130 - Su-47 - Avro Vulcan - B-2 Spirit  

ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F                               Super Carrier - Persian Gulf                   F/A-18E/F Super Hornet - F-35 - B1/B Lancer 
EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11GB                                       Syria - KA-50 - Gazelle                                            E2-D - AH-64D (soon!) 

32GB HyperX Predator DDR4@3200                         A-10C II                                                                F-4E  - Tornado GR4