Upgrade

sven3d3

Hi all,

I recently bought the F-14 and I noticed that my rig has some problems with running it: framerate is not very high and when I close a mission it hangs. And this was just a free flight mission without many other units.

I have a I7 (I believe 7900) running at 3,5 GHz (not a K), 16 GB of internal memory and a Geforce 1060 (6GB) graphics card. What kind of upgrade can I do best to get it something better. I don't have a huge amount of money to spent. So I don't want it too expensive. And what kind of downgrades in my graphics settings can I make which aren't too radical for the quality of the sim?

Thanks in advance!

Sven

I checked bottlenecks using msi afterburner and found that even on simple missions my pc was touching 14 GB of ram use and even tough I had about 60 fps average the stuttering was very frequent and annoying:

jYpK9FW.jpg

So, I decided to add another 16 GB of ram (around us$ 120) and now the stuttering is fully gone .. not only that, but also the loading times are much lower now, as you can see on this short video:

xGUWrJDOCQs

I’m very happy with the upgrade and the performance is very good considering that I’ve a mid-range CPU and GPU (on my signature).

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks!

@ Gorgok: what do you mean with: "First test for me will be to drop msaa and force fxaa through nvidia controls"? Cause I sometimes read that specific settings shoudl be done within the Nvidia configuration settings instead doing it ingame. What's the meaning for that?

I would take into consideration even buying a graphic card with more memory. I have 16 GB of RAM and a 1070 with 8 GB, while the module does require a lot of RAM (I sit around 14/15), it does take more video memory than you have, I'm afraid, my PC shows around 7/7,8 GB of VRAM in use.

I've got an older i5 but all other specs are the same including GPU and I don't have any stutters unless it's a very busy mission. You should be able to get it smoother if you turn a few settings to medium or so.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Guys, If you want to see a BIG performance improvement in the short term before you can get to upgrading your hardware than the reduced texture resolution set for Interior and Exterior make a big difference for me. Currently they do prevent you from playing on servers with Pure Texture IC but HB will be adding a custom cockpit option soon which will get around that. I got a massive improvement in FPS and general smoothness from reducing the VRAM usage by using smaller textures. I fly VR so it looks just about the same for me regardless.

Cockpit - https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303917/

External - https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303918/

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thanks!

@ Gorgok: what do you mean with: "First test for me will be to drop msaa and force fxaa through nvidia controls"? Cause I sometimes read that specific settings shoudl be done within the Nvidia configuration settings instead doing it ingame. What's the meaning for that?

MSAA is a in game setting. I am going to try turning that off for me tonight (had it on 2x).

But to counter the likely jagged edges i will turn on AA in nvidia control panel. On the program settings tab i will put DCS.exe to have 4x AA, FXAA to on, and Antialiasing mode to override any application setting. The game itself doesn't offer FXAA, which is different sort of AA that should be fast. It only offers MSAA and SSAA, with SSAA being really much slower than MSAA.

Thats just as a basis of performance comparison, i don't actually know what visual difference there will be, would have to test again and get screen shots to see. As long as it works better, and i don't notice anything odd though, i probably won't bother.

That texture replacement stuff looks very promising too.

Edited by Gorgok

Wait for the next hotfix patch before upgrading. There are issues with RAM usage and file swapping in the F14 that Heatblur are aware of and are hoping to fix.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Went for the 32Gb instead of 16Gb and I did not see major improvement (I did not expect much though). I'd say exiting the world is way faster, but loading times seems close to what I had before.

From my experience a few days ago (post #33 at the link below), after upgrading my GPU, both my system's CPU and RAM got some workload out of their back.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=235413&page=4

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I have a 1060 6g as well and was having horrible stutter in the F14 (but not the F18 in the same mission). First test for me will be to drop msaa and force fxaa through nvidia controls.

Any luck with this? My performance is pretty decent but always looking for more. If you haven't tried it by tomorrow then I'll give it a shot and report back.

Visually i'd say its maybe fine? Can't really tell if it is any worse. Performance is a tiny bit better, but it still stutters. Just shorter pauses. And this is after the update...

Edit to add: i get around 40-50 fps most of the time according tot he in game meter, but stutter.

I do see that 100% of my ram is in use (16gb). Will probably test with the smaller textures next.

Edited by Gorgok

Here has been my experience.

Original config.

Zotac Amp Extreme 1070 Ti, 32GB 3200 DDR4, 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVME SSD, i5-8600K @ 3.6Gh, 3440 x 1440 Rog 100Hz with adaptive sync between 60Hz to 100Hz

With this setup - I could not run DCS at high everything. I had to reduce MSAA to 0, Visibile Range to Med, Shadows to Medium, Ground Shadows to Flat - this resulted in about 60 -70 fps - just barely at the lower range where adaptive sync kicked in. I tried Nvidia FSAA in control panel but that didn't seem to do anything.

Current Config

Zotac 2080 OC'd +200 Core +800 Mem, 32GB 3200 DDR4, 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVME SSD, i5-8600K @ 4.6Gh, 3440 x 1440 Rog 100Hz with adaptive sync between 60Hz to 100Hz.

I also installed reshade and turned on SMAA. This config results in about 90 to 100+fps.

Reshade is great for smoothing out the in-game visuals without a significant FPS hit but it does screw up your screenshots since they end up getting captured without the reshade anti aliasing effects.