F14 and SRS

jonsky7

Hello

Does anyone have a description of what the "special menu" options do with regard to radios and ptt?

Basically, when using Simple Radio in every other module, I click my microphone select button, the comms menu for that radio shows and that radio channel in srs shows and stays green/selected, then I can use a PTT button set in SRS to talk.

In the 14, I have to hold the mic switch to keep the radio selected and then the PTT doesn't work, that's a warthog throttle limitation, not being able to "see" 2 inputs from the thumbstick at once.

I'd like to be able to select and keep that radio selected in SRS.

Any suggestions appreciated.

In the F-14 you don't have, and in fact you shouldn't, use any SRS hot keys, because everything you need is accessible from the F-14 inputs or from the cockpit. As the pilot, you should assign some buttons or keys to the comms hat located on the throttle, and with a properly configured SRS this should be enough to let you transmit using both radios and the ICS.

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

If you check the special options for the F-14, you'll find a dropdown menu under "RADIO MENU AND PTT BEHAVIOUR". The options available are:

- "Default" - self explanatory

- "OPEN MENU: RADIO MENU KEY FOLLOWED BY PTT (EXTERNAL RADIO PRIORITY)" - If you want to open a radio menu, you have to press the radio comms menu button (default is '\') and then press the PTT associated with the radio you want to use. When you don't prime it with the '\', the PTT are only exported to SRS.

- "HIDE RADIO MENU ON PTT RELEASE" - The radio menu is open only as long as you keep the PTT pressed.

My personal preference is the second option: "OPEN MENU: RADIO MENU KEY FOLLOWED BY PTT (EXTERNAL RADIO PRIORITY)". This way I have to assign only one additional button - for the '\' - and I can control both the sim radios and SRS.

Edited by Super Grover

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

Oh, so that's what this option is about :doh:

I didn't understand its purpose when I checked the special options after installing the Tomcat, but now it's crystal clear. That's actually a great option! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If you check the special options for the F-14, you'll find a dropdown menu under "RADIO MENU AND PTT BEHAVIOUR". The options available are:

- "OPEN MENU: RADIO MENU KEY FOLLOWED BY PTT (EXTERNAL RADIO PRIORITY)" - If you want to open a radio menu, you have to press the radio comms menu button (default is '\') and then press the PTT associated with the radio you want to use. When you don't prime it with the '\', the PTT are only exported to SRS.

- "HIDE RADIO MENU ON PTT RELEASE" - The radio menu is open only as long as you keep the PTT pressed.

My personal preference is the second option: "OPEN MENU: RADIO MENU KEY FOLLOWED BY PTT (EXTERNAL RADIO PRIORITY)". This way I have to assign only one additional button - for the '\' - and I can control both the sim radios and SRS.

I have a question ...

Is normal "" bind used in the F-14 at all?

Or is it completely useless and everything is done via the Mic buttons?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

You mean the radio menu button - default '\'?

It is used with the option I mentioned before. And it is used when 'Easy Comms' option is enabled - then you can use it to communicate with any radio.

I use it to contact ground crew but I presume it is not necessary?

As in you can just use other radio commands even tho frequencies are not set and canopy is opened

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Oh yes, I forgot about this. In any case except when using "OPEN MENU: RADIO MENU KEY FOLLOWED BY PTT (EXTERNAL RADIO PRIORITY)", the '\' key defaults to the ICS radio menu, which is the default way to communicate with the ground crew (requires HOT MIC when the canopy is closed).

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

Need some help, I cannot seem to give orders to AI wingman using the standard '\' key. I have no problems with the F-18. Already tried setting the frequency manually but still cannot give orders to AI wingman, they are not responding at all.

Need some help, I cannot seem to give orders to AI wingman using the standard '\' key. I have no problems with the F-18. Already tried setting the frequency manually but still cannot give orders to AI wingman, they are not responding at all.

If you're not using easy comms, the '\' key won't work. You have to use the actual mic switch on the throttle (which you have to bind to your HOTAS) to use the radios.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If you're not using easy comms, the '\' key won't work. You have to use the actual mic switch on the throttle (which you have to bind to your HOTAS) to use the radios.

Ah I see. Thanks for the help Master Jedi. :thumbup:

lets say I join someone online as a RIO.

How do I talk to my pilot through SRS ?

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

lets say I join someone online as a RIO.

How do I talk to my pilot through SRS ?

Make sure both Pilot and RIO have their ICS configured to Hot Mic in each of their respective seat (on the left console) and you will hear each other as soon as you speak

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Thx for that! Im testing the second option now. I dont know if its a bug or what, but when i play alone in the tomcat and press ICS button, the Jester menu comes up. But I cant talk to him, I basicly cant do anything there? I guess when I press ICS button it should be the same as when i press the A button right? The A button work, but not the ICS button?

Radios in Multiplayer/Multicrew?

I may be a bit confused right now. But my RIO and I are flying on multiplayer and my RIO tries to contact a tanker. But with now success. Is it a bug or are we doing something wrong? We both tuned in the tanker frequency on each radio. I as a pilot and Host of the server can communicate with the tanker and my RIO can hear the answer from the tanker.

But when he tries to contact the tanker (e. g. ready for contact), no answer and I cannot hear him speaking on the radios (not SRS, we are using TeamSpeak while flying, but I mean the DCS generated radio voice).

Any ideas? Are we doing something wrong or is it just not working right now?

Thx

I wish someone could do a step by step tutorial for SRS and F-14 w/ screenshots of the settings and bindings. Would help all of us dunces.

Agreed. The process seems to be a little tedious.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

I wish someone could do a step by step tutorial for SRS and F-14 w/ screenshots of the settings and bindings. Would help all of us dunces.

I can do that tomorrow maybe. works fine here

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Im in! Cause I am completely confused on this.

And Im not even getting started with VoiceAttack and Vaicom yet.

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

I can do that tomorrow maybe. works fine here

Thank you! I have SRS working perfectly with every other aircraft for a long time now, but in the tomcat I either can't hear a human RIO, or if I turn hot mic on then I am broadcasting continuously on the last used SRS channel and I have to change the radio frequency to something dumb so that I am not spamming the whole server. I cannot tell if this is a bug or it is me.

My main concern is that I don't want to have to change SRS config (2 keys configured for PTT) every time I switch planes!

What would be ideal for me, is if I could map 5 actions to my throttle:

1) One button to bring up the radio menu for radio 1

2) One button to bring up the radio menu for radio 2

3) One button for Radio Select/PTT for SRS radio 1

4) One button for Radio Select/PTT for SRS radio 2

5) One button that will do ICS PTT if I have a human rio (I do NOT want a hot mic), and instead bring up the jester menu if I don't have a human rio. That was RIO is always on the same button, human or jester.

1 - 4 work in all other planes for me right now.

• Like 1