HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I really like on the Reverb you can pull the rubber nose piece off and peek at the keyboard.

Just over 4 hours on the 2nd Reverb since yesterday.

Yup, I yanked mine off. Also, I booted into 1903 and I too can confirm that the WMR patch now shows the higer resolution in WMR/SteamVR resolution.

But I had to get the patch manually. It didn't download on its own. Which I found a bit interesting.

I should have taken it for a flight *before* the update but I forgot! :(

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I receive my consumer Reverb version from Amazon tomorrow. You guys think I should do the splint/zip tie mod right off the bat?

Anyone else get in the consumer version yet?

What settings do you guys recommend to start off? Steam VR at 2160x2160?

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled

CPU: 9900K - 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled / MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene

RAM: G.Skill 32GB 4000 MHz Samsung B-Die

SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB

DISPLAY: LG 48CX OLED; 48" 4K-120 Hz / VR: Pimax 8K-X; dual native 4K display headset

CONTROLS: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II+Kosmosima Sticks / TM Warthog Throttle - Modified / TM Pendular Rudders

I receive my consumer Reverb version from Amazon tomorrow. You guys think I should do the splint/zip tie mod right off the bat?

Anyone else get in the consumer version yet?

What settings do you guys recommend to start off? Steam VR at 2160x2160?

If the cable layout is the same, yes. There is no harm in doing it. It's just good practice to insure you have strain relief.

Every HMD I've ever had had a strain relief.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't see the HP Reverb on Amazon...just checked. How in the heck did you get one?

I think he's the only one in the US with one. Amazon is out BB, HP, and shopBLT is showing September for availability.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I don't see the HP Reverb on Amazon...just checked. How in the heck did you get one?

There was a period where you could order it on amazon. If you held off and didn't cancel it, they ended up actually shipping some of them. During the time however they were delisted from the site.

Yea looks like the rest of us will have to wait until September or October to get the second version of them if they corrected the cable problem. I'm glad the new Windows update actually fixes the resolution issue now.

Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @4.9Ghz-NZXT Kraken X73 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | Lots of SSD's | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Reverb G2

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/43948-reverb-new-offering-from-hp/page/10/

Dear customer,

I’d like to give you an update on the backorder for the HP Reverb. Unfortunately, the time it takes for HP to replace all cables is longer than expected. In the systems, it says now that production wil be restarted mid August, which means we will receive stocks no sooner than end of August.

on the bright side, this means they are fixing it, so that is good

(I'm also hoping to hear something about the Cosmos... in particular it's price point)

Edited by USA_Recon

As shipped from HP, the package is 9 pounds actual weight, 13 pounds dimensional weight (20" X 18" X 7").

Thanks, you’re a gentleman. :thumbup:

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/43948-reverb-new-offering-from-hp/page/10/

on the bright side, this means they are fixing it, so that is good

(I'm also hoping to hear something about the Cosmos... in particular it's price point)

As much as I miss having my Reverb around, I'm happy to think I'll eventually reorder and have a fixed cable and various other gremlins sorted so it will be a much smoother experience (fingers crossed).

A small pie is soon eaten

I have to send mine back Tuesday .....I may have to go outside till' Sept ....WTF! :D

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I received mine last week from Amazon (ordered back in April). It worked for about 30 minutes. Cord came unplugged twice. Tried it again and WMR said the video cable needed to be connected. Couldn’t get it to work. For the few minutes I did use it I found it to be clear in the sweet spot, but the peripheral was noto only more blurry than the rift S. It looked nice, but thought it felt uncomfortable and cheap. I debated keeping it and just “making it work” but I want something that i don’t have to jimmy rig to get to work properly if I’m going to spend that much money when I was content with the Rift S. Reverb is on it’s way back to Amazon and I can’t recommend it as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the guys who had some others headset before, what do you think of Reverb’s sweet spot please ?

And do you know your IPD for reference ?

Thanks.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X/ RAM 32 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Saitek X-55 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Rift S

M-2000C X-55 VR profile / M-2000C custom SERVAL symbols assignation

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

1440 x 1700 resolution per eye.

https://www.vive.com/us/cosmos/

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

There are some of them in the US. I am on my 2nd one.

Amazon has it hidden until HP gets their act together on shipping quantities and dates Amazon told me a while back.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Reverb-Virtual-Reality-Headset/dp/B07R768KJP/ref=pd_ybh_a_39?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W3YP9QJP11W8TVRY6JJH

I think he's the only one in the US with one. Amazon is out BB, HP, and shopBLT is showing September for availability.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

For the guys who had some others headset before, what do you think of Reverb’s sweet spot please ?

Thanks.

My IPD is 65.5 It's a little off center, to be accurate: meaning my left and right IPD is slightly different.

I've had Rift, Vive, Original Odyssey, P5K+ and now Reverb.

I don't know that there is a huge problem with the sweet spot. I haven't tried my P5K+ ever since I got the reverb, and I don't want to try it again. I've "forgotten" about the wider FoV and don't want to be reminded of it, just to test the sweet spot. :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks.

Sweet spot was no better than my Vive Pro, i.e. not great!

Intel i9 10900K 5.2GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F Wi-Fi · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2

Thanks.

having owned DK2, CV1, Pimax 4K, Odyssey+, Pimax 5k+

Plus having an IPD of 65 I find the sweet spot better in the Reverb than all but the CV1. I think a lot of that is down to IPD. I never really noticed a sweet spot at all in the CV1 but that maybe down to the screen door that covered it. It was great but it seems old now compared to the Reverb.

Intel i5 8600K 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Pro · TUF Z370 Pro · HP Reverb Pro · 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 1Tb SSD · 32Gb G-Skill 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Thrustmaster Warthog . JetSeat

Thanks guys.

About the sweet spot in CV1: in the M-2000C, looking through the HUD, by reflex I look down at the radar screen just with the eyes. But doing so I can’t really read the numbers, I have to move down the head to put the radar screen in the middle of the lens to be able to read.

That being said, if Reverb has roughly the same sweet spot as CV1, it isn’t great but I can live with that if it gives me longer range vision.

CV1 gives me the impression to be have myopia :(

I’ll just wait they fix their cable issue...or maybe Acer Ojo ! But 2160p seems the way to go for flight sim.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X/ RAM 32 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Saitek X-55 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Rift S

Thanks.

I have an IPD of 63 and to me the sweet spot of the Reverb is noticeably better than the CV1. I think the increased resolution of the Reverb almost makes this a given; Areas of image outside the sweet spot on the Reverb are slightly out of focus, but still readable due to the high resolution / low SDE of the display. However, in the case of the CV1, areas outside the sweet spot are very out focus, blurry and difficult to read due to the much lower resolution and high SDE of the display.

For example, with the Reverb I can read text on the Hornet's left and right DDIs and lower AMPCD without moving my head. The lower AMPCD is on the fringes of the Reverb's sweet spot and the text is less sharp, however it's still legible. This was not possible at all with the CV1.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The sweet spot on the Reverb is much better than my Lenovo Explorer for me but there are variables and settings involved and no two folks and machines will be the same. It's not just your IPD but also the distance from your eyes to the front of your face where the headset face pads rest. (both of these settings are adjustable on the Valve Index so the sweet spot should be better for more folks on it if set correctly IMO) Also, I am finding that the SteamVR resolution setting affects the periphery clarity more than the center with how SteamVR works. For me the Reverb sweet spot is large. Someone else who tried my headset with a very large IPD says it is smaller for him. His other facial dimensions may be different as well. He also doesn't wear glasses in the headset like I do. Everything can influence it. I don't think generalities apply too much. I will say that if your IPD is like 63 or 64 mm (mine) it will tend to be larger from everything I have experienced with the Reverb.

Edited by Secoda

I have an IPD of 63 and to me the sweet spot of the Reverb is noticeably better than the CV1. I think the increased resolution of the Reverb almost makes this a given; Areas of image outside the sweet spot on the Reverb are slightly out of focus, but still readable due to the high resolution / low SDE of the display. However, in the case of the CV1, areas outside the sweet spot are very out focus, blurry and difficult to read due to the much lower resolution and high SDE of the display.

For example, with the Reverb I can read text on the Hornet's left and right DDIs and lower AMPCD without moving my head. The lower AMPCD is on the fringes of the Reverb's sweet spot and the text is less sharp, however it's still legible. This was not possible at all with the CV1.

Thank you very much for your return. :thumbup:

Thanks to Secoda too.

Mirage fanatic !

The sweet spot on the Reverb is much better than my Lenovo Explorer for me but there are variables and settings involved and no two folks and machines will be the same. It's not just your IPD but also the distance from your eyes to the front of your face where the headset face pads rest. (both of these settings are adjustable on the Valve Index so the sweet spot should be better for more folks on it if set correctly IMO) Also, I am finding that the SteamVR resolution setting affects the periphery clarity more than the center with how SteamVR works. For me the Reverb sweet spot is large. Someone else who tried my headset with a very large IPD says it is smaller for him. His other facial dimensions may be different as well. He also doesn't wear glasses in the headset like I do. Everything can influence it. I don't think generalities apply too much. I will say that if your IPD is like 63 or 64 mm (mine) it will tend to be larger from everything I have experienced with the Reverb.

And do you manage to maintain at least around 45 fps please ?

And guys, do you have to use super sampling to improve clarity or playing around native résolution is good enough ?

Many thanks :thumbup:

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

More testing...

I have been changing the SteamVR settings again and am revising my observation. I moved the video resolution from a low of 20% to the maximum of 500% then then back to the recommended 106 to 108% to observer and compare each.

At 20% the picture is degraded across the entire screen but it is more noticeable on the periphery with is a bit fuzzier to begin with. From 108% to 500% is don't see much clarity change but the performance become unusable at 500%. From 20% to 108% is the huge increase in clarity but the improvement stops beyond about their recommendation so I am leaving it there. That does seem to be the best clarity/performance balance.

I really see no effect on sweet spot from the changes. When set at 108% and looking at the center of the DCS main menu I can still clearly read the text down the right side but it is not in perfect focus like the greater center area is. My Lenovo gets much fuzzier sooner approaching the periphery. I still say the Reverb sweet spot for me is 15-20% larger than the Lenovo.