HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Ok that’s encouraging guys. Thanks for the info. I’ve had my CV1 for a long while now but have never been fully satisfied, it’s always a case of I can just get it running at 45fps but the slightest drop below that just 3-4fps less and you really notice it. It’s not always smooth. Also it looks pretty awful now even at PD 1.5 so I end up using 2xMSAA to compensate. And to me oculus have never got the colours right. Are colours pretty good with the reverb?

I want to make an upgrade but don’t really want to spend £1000 on a new graphics card just yet.

Do you guys feel the reverb would benefit if I upgraded my cpu as well?

my 8600K is 10% faster than your 2700X

I run HP w. 0 AA 0 shadows High water High Textures which result is just about OK. 23FPS on the Supercarrier ramp (it's the crews in front), no stutter just low FPS, going 30FPS taxiing to the catapult. Off the cat rises to 45FPS for all the flight, bit of pan lag in hectic situations (after a merge pulling max, typical HP hi res lag), then there is the very tiny sweet sharp spot of the Reverb you have to get used to (which you will).

This HP is way better spotting bandits than my CV1, a lot.

Then again you wait for the HP G2 which will be much better than the present HP Reverb G1 (price? who knows).

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Then again you wait for the HP G2 which will be much better than the present HP Reverb G1 (price? who knows).

$599 USD ;)

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Ok it sounds like the reverb may give better performance than my CV1 it obviously looks much better with it.

That is absolutely untrue. The Reverb is something like four times more demanding than the CV1, so expect much, much worse performance.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

That is absolutely untrue. The Reverb is something like four times more demanding than the CV1, so expect much, much worse performance.

I'd say it depends on settings, needs and optimization. Reverb you run 1:1 and no shadows and its sharp (but for the guys with a 2080 Ti and a i9-9990XE , the only people both sane and crazy),

CV1 is easier on the CPU but then you rev it up to SS 1:1.8 to compensate the resolution, so to get nearer to solving the 'how to spot a bandit' dilemma, and you end up with claiming more on the hardware for the aim of a competitive end result, but Reverb in the end finishing first. R Gen2 will be the next Usain Bolt is what the betting office said.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Who has a short video recorded on your phone's camera or... Please show your cockpit in VR HP Reverb g1. I want to replace my Dell with a Hp Reverb. Now big discounts :)

Something like this on my video.

Thx.

Не говорите что мне надо делать и я не скажу куда вам надо идти…

| Asus Z390 | Core i5 9600K | HyperX Fury 32Gb | RTX 2070 | 1TB HDD + Intel Optane memory 32Gb | Thrustmaster F-16C Viper Add-on Grip+TWCS Throttle | Dell WMR | Oculus Quest 2 |

No, what he said is not untrue. SS and/or PD are the real performance killers with DCS, and the Reverb can be run at SteamVR SS of 100%, and DCS PD of 1.0, and look leaps and bounds better than the CV1. The performance is also leaps and bounds better, until you start running SS/PD up from 100%/1.0, then at a certain point you will start seeing worse performance than the CV1 which has to be run at at least 2.0 to look anywhere close to what the Reverb can do at its native resolution. Stop telling people that things are "untrue" when you haven't done the comparison and work yourself!

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Ok that’s encouraging guys. Thanks for the info. I’ve had my CV1 for a long while now but have never been fully satisfied, it’s always a case of I can just get it running at 45fps but the slightest drop below that just 3-4fps less and you really notice it. It’s not always smooth. Also it looks pretty awful now even at PD 1.5 so I end up using 2xMSAA to compensate. And to me oculus have never got the colours right. Are colours pretty good with the reverb?

I want to make an upgrade but don’t really want to spend £1000 on a new graphics card just yet.

Do you guys feel the reverb would benefit if I upgraded my cpu as well?

To address your earlier question about the 1080ti versus 2080ti, I have to say that I didn't see a detectable performance difference between the 2 cards with everything else being the same. That being said, I did see a noticeable improvement in the image quality when I went from the 1080ti to 2080ti when I was still using my CV1 in DCS (which might be linked to better performance, but I generally don't look at FPS counters because if it doesn't look good to me, the FPS counter doesn't matter). Its difficult to explain and quantify it, but everything just appeared to have more depth to it.

As for colors, that is also difficult to quantify. On paper, the colors are better in the CV1 due to the display type, but the difference in clarity may end up making that unnoticeable for you, like it did with me. Add to that the significantly reduced god rays and significantly reduced SDE, and the color quality becomes even less of an issue.

Don't make the mistake I did when using your Reverb for the first time and leave your DCS PD set where it is for your CV1. You'll most likely feel a moment of outrage as you see how horrible the performance is if you make that same mistake. Turn the DCS PD down to 1.0, make sure SteamVR SS is set at 100%, and make sure you have Motion Reprojection turned on in SteamVR For WMR. Start there, and you'll be blown away by the clarity and performance. After that, you can start slowly tweaking your SteamVR SS upward (leave DCS PD at 1.0) until you get a good balance between quality and performance. On my machine, I was actually able to turn DCS MSAA up to 4X, while leaving pretty much everything else set the same (still have Steam VR SS set to 100%) and I'm very happy with the result. I was also able to break away from using the shaders mod which was an absolute necessity with the CV1 running at DCS PD of 2.0.

Here's a link to my imageshack album that has all of the settings I'm currently using. Take the Steam VR screenshots with a grain of salt though, since they're old and Steam VR gets changed and updated quite regularly.

https://imageshack.com/a/A7xo/1

Keep in mind that the Reverb G2 is due out in just a couple of months, and the hardware is supposed to be much improved over the Reverb G1, so you might want to hold onto the CV1 a little longer. But, when the G2 finally gets released, I would expect that all of the information I gave about the G1 will apply to the new model as well.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

No, what he said is not untrue. SS and/or PD are the real performance killers with DCS, and the Reverb can be run at SteamVR SS of 100%, and DCS PD of 1.0, and look leaps and bounds better than the CV1. The performance is also leaps and bounds better, until you start running SS/PD up from 100%/1.0, then at a certain point you will start seeing worse performance than the CV1 which has to be run at at least 2.0 to look anywhere close to what the Reverb can do at its native resolution. Stop telling people that things are "untrue" when you haven't done the comparison and work yourself!

Yeah I would agree based on what all I have read. If the Reverb was 4 times more demanding there would be a lot of disgruntled Reverb users here.

Which is why I did not hesitate over any performance concerns when I ordered the G2, I think I will be ok in at least that department.

If I can run it at it's native 100% resolution and get that great image clarity I keep hearing about and still maintain some decent GFX settings, I will be ecstatic.

And maybe will have a 3080 Ti around the same time as I get the G2.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah I would agree based on what all I have read. If the Reverb was 4 times more demanding there would be a lot of disgruntled Reverb users here.

Which is why I did not hesitate over any performance concerns when I ordered the G2, I think I will be ok in at least that department.

If I can run it at it's native 100% resolution and get that great image clarity I keep hearing about and still maintain some decent GFX settings, I will be ecstatic.

Yup. At 100% SS you'll be just fine, and then you can tweak up from there as your system and settings allow.

Don your all good. I run 45 fps at minimum on 2080 with reverb G1. G2 will not more demanding then G1. I am too see the G2 and 3080 ti/3090 in Future. End of all problems in DCS. Whooaa :D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Don your all good. I run 45 fps at minimum on 2080 with reverb G1. G2 will not more demanding then G1. I am too see the G2 and 3080 ti/3090 in Future. End of all problems in DCS. Whooaa :D

:thumbup:

Wouldn't that be great!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ive had my Reverb for about 8 months and it died, it would just shut down (crashing me out of DCS) after about 30-60 mins. HP replaced it with a unit that is WORSE! And the lenses are not even aligned! I think it is a refurbished unit as the foam padding is already 'bedded in' to the shape of a human forehead, just not my forehead!

So pursuing a refund now and I don't think I'll bother with the G2 after a reviewer said it would shut down as well. "But HP said it will be fixed in the production model" Yea right! Not holding my breath!

When it works its pretty good, but in my case the product has not performed to expectations so going for a full refund.

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

Ive had my Reverb for about 8 months and it died, it would just shut down (crashing me out of DCS) after about 30-60 mins. HP replaced it with a unit that is WORSE! And the lenses are not even aligned! I think it is a refurbished unit as the foam padding is already 'bedded in' to the shape of a human forehead, just not my forehead!

So pursuing a refund now and I don't think I'll bother with the G2 after a reviewer said it would shut down as well. "But HP said it will be fixed in the production model" Yea right! Not holding my breath!

When it works its pretty good, but in my case the product has not performed to expectations so going for a full refund.

Yikes that is certainly not good...

Don B

To address your earlier question about the 1080ti versus 2080ti, I have to say that I didn't see a detectable performance difference between the 2 cards with everything else being the same. That being said, I did see a noticeable improvement in the image quality when I went from the 1080ti to 2080ti when I was still using my CV1 in DCS (which might be linked to better performance, but I generally don't look at FPS counters because if it doesn't look good to me, the FPS counter doesn't matter). Its difficult to explain and quantify it, but everything just appeared to have more depth to it.

As for colors, that is also difficult to quantify. On paper, the colors are better in the CV1 due to the display type, but the difference in clarity may end up making that unnoticeable for you, like it did with me. Add to that the significantly reduced god rays and significantly reduced SDE, and the color quality becomes even less of an issue.

Don't make the mistake I did when using your Reverb for the first time and leave your DCS PD set where it is for your CV1. You'll most likely feel a moment of outrage as you see how horrible the performance is if you make that same mistake. Turn the DCS PD down to 1.0, make sure SteamVR SS is set at 100%, and make sure you have Motion Reprojection turned on in SteamVR For WMR. Start there, and you'll be blown away by the clarity and performance. After that, you can start slowly tweaking your SteamVR SS upward (leave DCS PD at 1.0) until you get a good balance between quality and performance. On my machine, I was actually able to turn DCS MSAA up to 4X, while leaving pretty much everything else set the same (still have Steam VR SS set to 100%) and I'm very happy with the result. I was also able to break away from using the shaders mod which was an absolute necessity with the CV1 running at DCS PD of 2.0.

Here's a link to my imageshack album that has all of the settings I'm currently using. Take the Steam VR screenshots with a grain of salt though, since they're old and Steam VR gets changed and updated quite regularly.

https://imageshack.com/a/A7xo/1

Keep in mind that the Reverb G2 is due out in just a couple of months, and the hardware is supposed to be much improved over the Reverb G1, so you might want to hold onto the CV1 a little longer. But, when the G2 finally gets released, I would expect that all of the information I gave about the G1 will apply to the new model as well.

That’s helpful thanks for the information. Regarding the steam VR, I’m noticing a lot of people mentioning steam vr with reverb. Is this because you have the steam version of DCS? Or you benefit running dcs through steam even though you have the standalone version because the reverb benefits from it or needs it? Just something I’ve never quite understood,

Many thanks.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

That’s helpful thanks for the information. Regarding the steam VR, I’m noticing a lot of people mentioning steam vr with reverb. Is this because you have the steam version of DCS? Or you benefit running dcs through steam even though you have the standalone version because the reverb benefits from it or needs it? Just something I’ve never quite understood,

Many thanks.

DCS currently does not have native WMR support, but it does have Steam VR support.

So any headset currently other than Oculus will need Steam VR installed to run it in VR, whether it is Steam version of the game or not.

DCS supports Oculus VR and Steam VR.

Don B

Many thanks.

Nope. You don't need the Steam version of DCS. SteamVR is just the interface the Reverb uses for displaying VR from DCS. It doesn't have its own, stand-alone software to run it like your CV1 does. So, when you get your Reverb, you'll need Steam VR, along with another Steam program called WMR For SteamVR. That second program is the sort of "happy box" (heh...that's an official avionics term) that makes WMR headsets like the Reverb run with SteamVR. I know it sounds a little convoluted, but once you get those programs installed on your system, getting DCS to come up in VR is as simple as plugging the Reverb in, waiting for WMR to recognize it and startup, and then starting DCS just like you normally do. So, the process of running it is actually almost as simple as the Oculus software is.

Edited by eaglecash867

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone elses reverb just lag really badly in the cliffhouse? No changes to my setup or hardware, it was fine months ago. Not sure what happened as I have not put it on in 2 + months now. But it seems like I need to restart my PC to smooth it out. I've also noticed the screen flash to black and back a few times.

Don't even want to try get into DCS if it's lagging like this outside of any apps. Absolutely no clue what has changed.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Anyone elses reverb just lag really badly in the cliffhouse? No changes to my setup or hardware, it was fine months ago. Not sure what happened as I have not put it on in 2 + months now. But it seems like I need to restart my PC to smooth it out. I've also noticed the screen flash to black and back a few times.

Don't even want to try get into DCS if it's lagging like this outside of any apps. Absolutely no clue what has changed.

Chk TaskManager for stuck processes? Starting and stopping often VRserver*.* gets stuck. Firefox eats massive GPU resources, my Voicemeeter software gets stuck in high CPU and needs restarting. Etc.

Chk TaskManager for stuck processes? Starting and stopping often VRserver*.* gets stuck. Firefox eats massive GPU resources, my Voicemeeter software gets stuck in high CPU and needs restarting. Etc.
Yea I did not since it was a fresh boot of the PC. Not like it had been on for hours or so. Just very strange.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yea I did not since it was a fresh boot of the PC. Not like it had been on for hours or so. Just very strange.

Use another USB port/hub. I had USB errors with a recent Win10 update and after lost hours of tinkering solved when I unplugged all USB hubs and devices. Which made me think/suspect my average (Asrock Ext4) onboard motherboard USB hub lacks - peak - amp power, so I ordered a 60W powered USB 3 hub just for HP Reverb, who knows.

Use another USB port/hub. I had USB errors with a recent Win10 update and after lost hours of tinkering solved when I unplugged all USB hubs and devices. Which made me think/suspect my average (Asrock Ext4) onboard motherboard USB hub lacks - peak - amp power, so I ordered a 60W powered USB 3 hub just for HP Reverb, who knows.
Could be worth a shot. I have a dedicated startek USB card that has power separately for the USB lanes as opposed to getting power from the Mobo. Perhaps changing the USB slot to one of the other 4 may help.

I also have a powered USB hub with more than enough ports but that stupid reverb cable, the way it splits the display port and USB cable into two, makes the USB portion of it too short to reach my powered USB hub on my desk.

Could be worth a shot. I have a dedicated startek USB card that has power separately for the USB lanes as opposed to getting power from the Mobo. Perhaps changing the USB slot to one of the other 4 may help.

I also have a powered USB hub with more than enough ports but that stupid reverb cable, the way it splits the display port and USB cable into two, makes the USB portion of it too short to reach my powered USB hub on my desk.

Just before, I had bought a USB 2.0 hub for printer etc on a 5 meter active extension, and I noticed this 'old' type (Amazon*****) powered 2.0 Hub responded way better than previous powered 2.0 Hubs. Another attempt, a - cheapish - eBay USB 3.1 PCI-e card also ended in the bin for lack of result. (Powered) Hubs and MB ports are not created equal (actually the standard seems a big mess).

Nope. You don't need the Steam version of DCS. SteamVR is just the interface the Reverb uses for displaying VR from DCS. It doesn't have its own, stand-alone software to run it like your CV1 does. So, when you get your Reverb, you'll need Steam VR, along with another Steam program called WMR For SteamVR. That second program is the sort of "happy box" (heh...that's an official avionics term) that makes WMR headsets like the Reverb run with SteamVR. I know it sounds a little convoluted, but once you get those programs installed on your system, getting DCS to come up in VR is as simple as plugging the Reverb in, waiting for WMR to recognize it and startup, and then starting DCS just like you normally do. So, the process of running it is actually almost as simple as the Oculus software is.

Does anyone run DCS using OpenComposite as an alternative to SteamVR? In The Other WWII Sim, I find that using OpenComposite instead of SteamVR buys me a few extra frames due to lower overhead. (I'm on a Rift CV1 now, but have the Reverb G2 pre-order in.)

Does anyone run DCS using OpenComposite as an alternative to SteamVR? In The Other WWII Sim, I find that using OpenComposite instead of SteamVR buys me a few extra frames due to lower overhead. (I'm on a Rift CV1 now, but have the Reverb G2 pre-order in.)

Opencomposite is Oculus only...no other hardware unfortunately

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png