HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

I lied, I have a 2nd question. Reverb is fixed hardware IPD (70mm) but adjustable via software? Is this correct? If so, is the SW adjustment adequate for someone around 64-65??

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, sorry - I'm about to pull the trigger today on ordering a Reverb. One last question regarding the Pro vs Consumer version:

I don't really care about the short cable as I'll never likely use the $3K backpack. So my understanding is the only other difference is the face cushion. Pro has the wipeable leather face cushion and the Consumer the foam. Presumably because the Pro will have many different users. Which one is more comfortable to wear for long periods? I'm assuming the Foam faceplate?

Are there any other differences I'm missing?

The support contract is different for the pro, they will ship you replacements and then you ship back the defective unit.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb G2 @ 2836 x 2768
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff:   My Settings for 3090 and G2  My Settings for 1080ti  Shaders MOD for VR  My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I lied, I have a 2nd question. Reverb is fixed hardware IPD (70mm) but adjustable via software? Is this correct? If so, is the SW adjustment adequate for someone around 64-65??

My IPD is 64...no problems at all.

The hardware is hard set at the average IPD at 64 for men and 62 for women. Then the software can "move" the screen image, which can sort-of adjust the IPD.

70mm IPD is this guy

tenor.gif?itemid=5532862

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The support contract is different for the pro, they will ship you replacements and then you ship back the defective unit.
In the US at least for me they didn't do that. I had to tell them that this was part of their contract. I guess it depends on who you get and how knowledgeable they are. I had to send mine back and order another.

Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey

In the US at least for me they didn't do that. I had to tell them that this was part of their contract. I guess it depends on who you get and how knowledgeable they are. I had to send mine back and order another.

Heh. HP was all set to ship me a replacement ahead of my sending my defective unit, until they found out I had the Pro version. They then connected me with the professional/business side of the house, and they agreed to send me a replacement cable after we did some troubleshooting via e-mail. Took a month to get the new cable because they didn't have any in stock. They were definitely inconsistent with how they were handling issues.

ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending. pilotfly.gif

Good to know, thanks.

What about the face pad? Which is more comfortable? I thought I recall people complaining about the leather not being very comfortable to wear for extended periods. True or not?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Good to know, thanks.

What about the face pad? Which is more comfortable? I thought I recall people complaining about the leather not being very comfortable to wear for extended periods. True or not?

Yes...some were complaining about the leather. It may be ok for you. Myself, I choose not to go with leather.

Works OK for me... But i have no basis for comparison

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb G2 @ 2836 x 2768
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff:   My Settings for 3090 and G2  My Settings for 1080ti  Shaders MOD for VR  My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ok done. I can't wait to see the resolution jump!

On a related note, I have an HTC Vive Pro. I've read where the hand controllers are compatible with the reverb. How do I set them up? I won't use them for DCS at all, but I will use them for FPS games on occasion.

Thanks all for the help.

Ok done. I can't wait to see the resolution jump!

On a related note, I have an HTC Vive Pro. I've read where the hand controllers are compatible with the reverb. How do I set them up? I won't use them for DCS at all, but I will use them for FPS games on occasion.

Thanks all for the help.

I don't think it's possible to use the Vive Pro controllers with the Reverb, do you have a link to where you read it? :)

But - I had the HTC Vive Pro before and upgraded to HP Reverb - and you really have something to look forward to!! For me it was night and day when it came to being able to read the instruments in the cockpit.

I have the NON-pro version. It doesn't say "consumer" version the box, but it doesn't say "Pro" either - so I guess it's the consumer version then. In the beginning I didn't like the padding of my headset. It almost felt like it was scratching the top of my face. But, after I had used it several times, it softened up and now feels ok. One thing you will appreciate with the Reverb over the Vive Pro is that it is lighter. Vive Pro is heavier. But perhaps with more pleasant padding overall.

Enjoy!

(And turn down that SteamVR supersampling that you probably are used to with your Vive Pro - it will kill the framerate of your Reverb and it really isn't needed anymore--- And, set up motion reprojection in the "default.vrsettings" file : )

PC: I9 9900K, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 32 GB RAM@3600mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Logitech G Saitek Pro rudder pedals

VR: HP Reverb

Thank you VERY MUCH

I want to pass along my thanks to you, I have been struggling with this for months. I tried your suggestion and have had complete control of the mouse ever since. I appreciate you taking the time to passing the solution on. :thumbup::)

Sounds like you have the WMR setting "Input Switching" on automatic. It tries to automatically switch between HMD and desktop, but does not work most of the time. That's why you should change "Input Switching" setting to manual. Then you can control the input selection by pressing Win+Y.
I want to pass along my thanks to you, I have been struggling with this for months. I tried your suggestion and have had complete control of the mouse ever since. I appreciate you taking the time to passing the solution on. :thumbup::)

You are welcome! I know how annoying the automatic input switching can be, but can be worked around easily. Spread the tip and have fun flying :thumbup::pilotfly:

Can someone tell me the best way to get DCS up and running? I am becoming impatient with the number of times DCS loads up but I lose the mouse pointer. I then have to exit all VR, restart WMR and try again.

Sometimes, I can just click Launch in Skate’s utility and everything is fine, but that is rare!

Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2

Can someone tell me the best way to get DCS up and running? I am becoming impatient with the number of times DCS loads up but I lose the mouse pointer. I then have to exit all VR, restart WMR and try again.

Sometimes, I can just click Launch in Skate’s utility and everything is fine, but that is rare!

Hi. The best method for me is:

All VR app closed (WMR, Steam VR)

Run DCS an then put your googles.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Hi. The best method for me is:

All VR app closed (WMR, Steam VR)

Run DCS an then put your googles.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Thanks for that. As I said previously, just launching DCS works sometimes, but not always for me. I still lose the mouse pointer on occasions.

Really frustrating.

Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2

The only effective method that works 100% for me is to launch Steam. then from this window click the top icon, SteamVR which of course fires up Mixed Reality Portal and SteamVR app. Once settled, I start DCS.

I used to just start DCS and it would initiate SteamVR and WMR automatically but this stopped being reliable months ago with similar issues you describe plus sometimes SteamVR just not connecting to DCS at all. Probably because the DCS VR requisites fire up concurrently rather than consecutive and there are internal disconnects.

On a side note. with my system DCS 2.5.6 & Reverb there appears an improvement in sharpness inside and outside the cockpit with little effect on FPS, at least for me... All cockpits (Jets & Helos) pin sharp although the Harrier is more system intensive.

RAF AIR UK

1(F) Squadron RAF AIR UK (Harriers)

No 1 FTS RAF AIR UK (Helo's)

Far too many DCS modules, a black box full of expensive

gizmos, more controllers and buttons than the space shuttle,

a face mask and a big TV!

First, make sure you have following setting in Mixed Reality Portal set to manual mode:

Sounds like you have the WMR setting "Input Switching" on automatic. It tries to automatically switch between HMD and desktop, but does not work most of the time. That's why you should change "Input Switching" setting to manual. Then you can control the input selection by pressing Win+Y.

Second, the startup procedure I use:

1. Start Mixed Reality Portal. At this stage you are usually asked to turn your head to calibrate the inside out tracking. If you fail to do this, it may result in degraded tracking mode with only 3 degrees of freedom.
  2. Start DCS from desktop. This will automatically start SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR applications.

Note: If at any stage you lose control of mouse or calibration seems stuck, just press the aforementioned Win+Y key combo to switch input between VR HMD and desktop.

Edited by Unclezam
The only effective method that works 100% for me is to launch Steam. then from this window click the top icon, SteamVR which of course fires up Mixed Reality Portal and SteamVR app. Once settled, I start DCS.

Yes, launching SteamVR first has worked every time for me so far, so thanks for that.

First, make sure you have following setting in Mixed Reality Portal set to manual mode:

Second, the startup procedure I use:

1. Start Mixed Reality Portal. At this stage you are usually asked to turn your head to calibrate the inside out tracking. If you fail to do this, it may result in degraded tracking mode with only 3 degrees of freedom.
  2. Start DCS from desktop. This will automatically start SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR applications.

Note: If at any stage you lose control of mouse or calibration seems stuck, just press the aforementioned Win+Y key combo to switch input between VR HMD and desktop.

Thanks but that is pretty much what I was doing. As from above, starting SteamVR first rather than Mixed Reality works perfectly every time for me now.

Here seems all its ok,... or not. With the update i have lost the smooth 30 fps, in 60hz.

I downgrade to 2.5.5 waiting some improvements in the core. With my super pc i cant handle 2.5.6.

You guys, have the same issues?

Seems that Oculus Users have no problems with this update

YouTube Channel
Update:MSI Z390-A PRO, i7-9700K 3.6Ghz liquid Cooled, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64GB, Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO OC Edition 8GB GDDR6, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2, HOTAS TM Warthog, HP Rever

No issues with 2.5.6 with me, maybe a few fps drop in certain circumstances but overall it is an improvement to my VR Reverb experience - all cockpit instruments sharp and no stutter with 40-55 fps >500' in the PG modern urban cities for example. Of course it is all very subjective and everyone's systems are different. Settings used below....

DCS settings

SteamVR

System

NVidea 2080ti maybe 10% OC

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU SKU

Processor Intel® Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, (OC 4.5GHz) 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 9007, 07/12/2015

SMBIOS Version 3.0

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BaseBoard Product Z170 PRO GAMING

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB

Edited by Gizzy

RAF AIR UK

No issues with 2.5.6 with me, maybe a few fps drop in certain circumstances but overall it is an improvement to my VR Reverb experience - all cockpit instruments sharp and no stutter with 40-55 fps >500' in the PG modern urban cities for example. Of course it is all very subjective and everyone's systems are different. Settings used below....

You don't use Motion Projection?

You don't use Motion Projection?

No. Changed to Beta and tried it some time ago but found no advantage with my settings - side stutters increased dramatically though which was a pain especially as I fly Helo's a lot. Removed the text edits and reverted to SteamVR stock.

One thing I have found is that system component variance within the community makes it very difficult to make meaningful comparisons. I have always got away with high settings and MSAA... many don't, even with the same GPU. DCS models have a big effect too.

RAF AIR UK

No. Changed to Beta and tried it some time ago but found no advantage with my settings - side stutters increased dramatically though which was a pain especially as I fly Helo's a lot. Removed the text edits and reverted to SteamVR stock.

One thing I have found is that system component variance within the community makes it very difficult to make meaningful comparisons. I have always got away with high settings and MSAA... many don't, even with the same GPU. DCS models have a big effect too.

Interesting. Most people - mysef included - feel MP is a must. Constant 45 frame rate and no horrible double images when moving (not turning) head left to right when looking at guages, etc. usually, a much smoother experience, but obviously, not for you.

RAF AIR UK