HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

Nice little PSU calculator - https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I used this when I specced up my new PC, I too ended up going a with an 850W PSU.

I just went for the highest output available at the time (1200W). Better to have extra power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :D

ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending. pilotfly.gif

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Quick follow up on my previous post (already 2-3 pages away...)

I m now powering the Reverb trough an outside powered USB 3.0

No major difference in game. With SS at 198, I still get the jiggies but loading screen is much less flickering. So indeed, it must do some good.

Together with this USB port, I got myseld à new PSU. 850w Iso 620w.with my rig and the OC in mind, I thi k it was somewhat needed.

With my setup, the power calculator tels me I need at least 640w so...

Will see once installed. Also will try again the curve thing in Afterburner. This one was telling me that I had indeed a lack of power.

Testing testing...

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

Of course you are getting better resolution with the new 100% than the old 150, because the old 150 was less than native and the new 100 is native. You needed 188 in the old Steam to get close to native.

There still seems to be a lot of confusion kicking around here.

1) everyone should forget about the ‘old’ settings and move on.

2) Steam adjusted the labels they put on the number of rendered pixels some time ago in the beta version and quite recently moved that to stable.

3) currently, native res is closely achieved at a very neat value of 100%, and that makes life so much easier for calcs as we are now using round, logical numbers. For example 200% represents double the number of rendered pixels.

4) of course the Reverb has more pixels than other HMDs and doesn’t require the same level of SS to reach the same point, however that does not mean that using higher than 100% does not improve clarity - at a cost. Yes, even given the Reverb’s high pixel count. In fact, the default - shown by a vertical line - in SteamVR for my 2080Ti is set at 150%.

5) sorry to repeat, but in case some people are confused, SteamVR 150% is equivalent to PD of 1.2 and 200% is equivalent to 1.4. These values are not particularly high to experiment with, if you have the hardware to cope with extra demands.

Personally, I would recommend everyone to use SteamVR as new features and options are added in very regularly, sometimes months before going stable. If there is something in a beta update that doesn’t suit you, it takes a few seconds to go back to the stable release.

In addition, I recommend everyone should click on the ‘see what’s changed’ link which appears after every SteamVR update. Easy to ignore, but really useful, especially when something like changes to pixel level naming occurs.

Thank you all very much for this information. I haven't played DCS for a couple of week or so. Tried for the fist time last night and my performance had dropped by 25% to a horrible experience. I have my Steam VR SS set at 180%. Oddly though, I don't recall that the listed value had changed above 2160. I'll have to verify that tonight when I get home. However, if 100% is now 2160 then 180% is 3888. If that's so, no wonder the performance went in the toilet. Poor 2080Ti was just crying in the corner. I hope this solves the issue.

Thank you all very much for this information. I haven't played DCS for a couple of week or so. Tried for the fist time last night and my performance had dropped by 25% to a horrible experience. I have my Steam VR SS set at 180%. Oddly though, I don't recall that the listed value had changed above 2160. I'll have to verify that tonight when I get home. However, if 100% is now 2160 then 180% is 3888. If that's so, no wonder the performance went in the toilet. Poor 2080Ti was just crying in the corner. I hope this solves the issue.

Sorry, but your calc is wrong and that is why I occasionally try to clarify this. The SteamVR number is the amount of TOTAL pixels factor, unlike DCS PD which is the axis factor.

So, 180% is equivalent to the square root of (2160x2160)*1.8, i.e. 2898. So, that is equivalent to 2898/2160, i.e. 1.34 PD.

Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the clarification. While I understand your math, I guess I don't understand the relationship between pixel density and SS level. In DCS I have PD set at 1.0. As far as I know that means it doesn't do any super sampling at all. And a 1.8 or 180% setting in Steam VR now means a roughly 35% increase in resolution not 80%. No wonder this subject is confusing to people.

Thanks for the clarification. While I understand your math, I guess I don't understand the relationship between pixel density and SS level. In DCS I have PD set at 1.0. As far as I know that means it doesn't do any super sampling at all. And a 1.8 or 180% setting in Steam VR now means a roughly 35% increase in resolution not 80%. No wonder this subject is confusing to people.

It’s very confusing!

SteamVR factors are based on TOTAL pixels, whereas PD (pixel density) works on axes factors.

So, a PD of 1.4 gives you 1.4*2160 per axis, i.e. 3024. That is 9.1m in total. That is equivalent to a SteamVR SS of 9144576/(2160x2160)=2 or 200%.

Confusing? Yep

Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2

Hey guys,

Quick follow up on my previous post (already 2-3 pages away...)

I m now powering the Reverb trough an outside powered USB 3.0

No major difference in game. With SS at 198, I still get the jiggies but loading screen is much less flickering. So indeed, it must do some good.

Together with this USB port, I got myseld à new PSU. 850w Iso 620w.with my rig and the OC in mind, I thi k it was somewhat needed.

With my setup, the power calculator tels me I need at least 640w so...

Will see once installed. Also will try again the curve thing in Afterburner. This one was telling me that I had indeed a lack of power.

Testing testing...

Why not just set it to AUTO and give it a shot?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It’s very confusing!

SteamVR factors are based on TOTAL pixels, whereas PD (pixel density) works on axes factors.

So, a PD of 1.4 gives you 1.4*2160 per axis, i.e. 3024. That is 9.1m in total. That is equivalent to a SteamVR SS of 9144576/(2160x2160)=2 or 200%.

Confusing? Yep

Well, at least I confirmed that my performance woes were caused by that change. The 180% was the exact value you indicated. Moved the slider back down to 100% and it's 2207x2160 and performance is back to normal. That was a good thing.

I even have motion reprojection working (most of the time) I'm averaging 42 FPS or so but I have a lot of the setting turned up. I wonder about changing the refresh to 60Hz. I dunno if I can tolerate the flickering. However, it would certainly hit 30FPS for motion reprojection.

Well, at least I confirmed that my performance woes were caused by that change. The 180% was the exact value you indicated. Moved the slider back down to 100% and it's 2207x2160 and performance is back to normal. That was a good thing.

I even have motion reprojection working (most of the time) I'm averaging 42 FPS or so but I have a lot of the setting turned up. I wonder about changing the refresh to 60Hz. I dunno if I can tolerate the flickering. However, it would certainly hit 30FPS for motion reprojection.

In my opinion, 60Hz is horrible! Too much flickering. 45fps at 90 is preferable to 60fps at 60Hz all day long.

In my opinion, 60Hz is horrible! Too much flickering. 45fps at 90 is preferable to 60fps at 60Hz all day long.
My experience too!

Intel i5 8600K 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Pro · TUF Z370 Pro · HP Reverb Pro · 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 1Tb SSD · 32Gb G-Skill 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Thrustmaster Warthog . JetSeat

Yeah I don't think I would care for that in any VR headset.

The 72 Hz in the Quest is as low as I would want to go and even that is right on the borderline for me.

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Just picked mine up, and had a bit of fun just setting it up, leaving DCS for last. My rig is only a 3700x with a standard OC'd 1080 GTX but it seems to be quite smooth without switching on reprojection though may change during moments of high activity. Not too fussed right now because all I want to do with my modules is to take off, fly a circuit and land.

Funny thing - at first I wasn't too impressed with the clarity as it was a bit blurry. It wasn't three hours later that I realised I have yet to remove the blue protective films from the lenses! And yeah I can definitely see the difference between this and the Rift S and PSVR - even with my lowly rig.

Modules: F-14A/B | F/A-18C | M2000C | AV-8B | Hawk | L-39 | A-10C | C-101 | UH-1 | Normandy | Supercarrier

I'm new to the game and am thinking of pickup up a VR headset. I have a couple of questions. Sorry if they've already been asked. It's a very long thread!

I would like to play on one of the warbird servers. From what I've seen, it's mandatory to be looking in all directions, especially behind, all of the time. Videos I've seen of people wearing VR headsets show them making exaggerated movements. For example, if you want to look behind you at 6 o'clock, instead of turning your head to around 4'oclock and moving your eyes to cover to the last part, as we do in real life, it seems that in VR you have to turn your whole body so that you can point your head at 6 o'clock. Does that make it difficult and fatiguing when you are constantly looking behind you in the game?

My second question concerned a video I saw on youtube. The guy was pretty negative about the Reverb. His conclusion is "It's not a good option for you, even if you are just using it for simulators.". I wondered if the video had been discussed here.

This is the video.

re 1) its easier to turn your head in track IR than it is in VR. VR Head tracking is more realistic, but and i cant stress this enough you get more context/SA because you are building a picture around your body as you would in real life

as for 2) this is the same guy that raved over the comfort and resolution of the O+... my experience differs from his

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb G2 @ 2836 x 2768
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff:   My Settings for 3090 and G2  My Settings for 1080ti  Shaders MOD for VR  My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Having had a Pimax 5K+, Index & Reverb I chose the Reverb purely for seated simulations (race & flight combat).

However, my interest is immersion rather than competitive multiplayer. The Pimax has a significantly wider FOV which is likely better for checking six.

The Index is better if you do non seated stuff - I don't ever use the controllers with the Reverb so a non issue.

The Reverb lacks mechanical IPD adjustment, I have an IPD of 65 which is smack in the middle of its range so is perfect for me. Others may vary.

I am still very happy with the Reverb, the clarity is unequalled

Intel i5 8600K 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Pro · TUF Z370 Pro · HP Reverb Pro · 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 1Tb SSD · 32Gb G-Skill 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Thrustmaster Warthog . JetSeat

I have a question I consistently have a Steam Failed error mostly when I am about to move to the last screen in multiplayer where you select your aircraft. When I say consistently I mean easily 3 out of 4 times trying to play. Many times I get so frustrated that I restart which 50 50 may work.

When I last posed this question I was pointed to get a powered USB hub which I have done with the exact same results.

I have a brand new fully fitted dedicated PC that is 3 months old. Is anyone having this issue and if not does anybody have Ideas for a frustrated F-18 pilot want to bee.

Thanks

I have a question I consistently have a Steam Failed error mostly when I am about to move to the last screen in multiplayer where you select your aircraft. When I say consistently I mean easily 3 out of 4 times trying to play. Many times I get so frustrated that I restart which 50 50 may work.
It seems coincidental if it happens at the same time, however the only times I have had a SteamVR Failure is stretching out my legs to touch the cables connected to the PC. I was able to recreate it by wiggling the DP cable where it connects to the graphics card. A bit of overdue cable management sorted it!

Just started using the Reverb from the Vive Pro and I dont get DCS in my list of applications in the Steam VR settings (adjust video settings per application). I get all my steam VR games.

Any quick suggestions how to add it to the list? Or how do I specifically adjust PD/SS and enable motion smoothing/reprojection settings for DCS in Steam VR settings.

Edited by Mathius_001

i9-9900KS, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080Ti, 55" QLED, HP Reverb

Just started using the Reverb from the Vive Pro and I dont get DCS in my list of applications in the Steam VR settings (adjust video settings per application). I get all my steam VR games.

Any quick suggestions how to add it to the list? Or how do I specifically adjust PD/SS and enable motion smoothing/reprojection settings for DCS in Steam VR settings.

You have to start DCS, then it shows in that list.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, HP Reverb pro, Oculus Rift( Pimax 8KX incoming) ] :)

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II ]

i9 9900KS@5.2/32Gb@3200/ ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti OC 11Gb @2080Mhz(ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090 OC incoming) ASUS STRIX Z390-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Just started using the Reverb from the Vive Pro and I dont get DCS in my list of applications in the Steam VR settings (adjust video settings per application).

As above, DCS will only appear in the list when it's actually running in VR.

Edited by Slug72
too slow on the trigger :-)

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

Just picked mine up, and had a bit of fun just setting it up, leaving DCS for last. My rig is only a 3700x with a standard OC'd 1080 GTX but it seems to be quite smooth without switching on reprojection though may change during moments of high activity. Not too fussed right now because all I want to do with my modules is to take off, fly a circuit and land.

Funny thing - at first I wasn't too impressed with the clarity as it was a bit blurry. It wasn't three hours later that I realised I have yet to remove the blue protective films from the lenses! And yeah I can definitely see the difference between this and the Rift S and PSVR - even with my lowly rig.

That's pretty funny! Glad you're enjoying the Reverb.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm new to the game and am thinking of pickup up a VR headset. I have a couple of questions. Sorry if they've already been asked. It's a very long thread!

I would like to play on one of the warbird servers. From what I've seen, it's mandatory to be looking in all directions, especially behind, all of the time. Videos I've seen of people wearing VR headsets show them making exaggerated movements. For example, if you want to look behind you at 6 o'clock, instead of turning your head to around 4'oclock and moving your eyes to cover to the last part, as we do in real life, it seems that in VR you have to turn your whole body so that you can point your head at 6 o'clock. Does that make it difficult and fatiguing when you are constantly looking behind you in the game?

My second question concerned a video I saw on youtube. The guy was pretty negative about the Reverb. His conclusion is "It's not a good option for you, even if you are just using it for simulators.". I wondered if the video had been discussed here.

This is the video.

Pimax5K+ is the only HMD that has wider than 110+ field of view. I think Reverb is 114, or something like that. So yes, you do have turn your head more than in real life. But not *that* much more, I don't think.

But Reverb is much smoother and clearer than Pimax 5K. The 8K might be the answer, but the 5K software wasn't great. It was OK, and I used it. But it's only because I'm so used to VR that little judder doesn't bother me *that* much.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

from memory the default field of view in DCS is 80, something degrees, so you might need tp adjust it in \Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb G2 @ 2836 x 2768
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff:   My Settings for 3090 and G2  My Settings for 1080ti  Shaders MOD for VR  My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg