HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

After reading an article on the Reverb, Mura Effect is what I am seeing. So does everyone have that or is it HMD specific? I talked to HP Support and they said they would send a replacement cable. Not sure what that's going to do....

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

It is headset specific, some will show more or less. Because each pixel or subpixel is basically unique you calibrate each one to be "equal" So "mura" are basically defects in the pixel calibration "leveler", which basically a software screen that tells pixel 1 to be at value 5, and then pixel 2 to be at level 6 etc for each RGB level so that they "look" the same because each pixel is a unique and special snowflake.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about since every headset has it, and unless its bad it should largely be unnoticable if you aren't looking for it.

Does your headset have some chromatic abberation at the very edge of the screen (Blueish or reddish/brown tinge) that extends from peripheral objects?

Good to know they just send out cables. I'll call them about mine. Most likely they think you are talking about the "snow" effect that occurs when the cables goto shit. (think old TV's with bad reception).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Is anybody else getting a smoother experience after the Windows update V1903 OS Build 18362.356 10 Sep19? The ghosting effect has virtually been eliminated at low level in the Harrier and A10C. I am still getting some microstutters or occasional dropped frames but nothing like before. Most of my settings are now in the high range and it is stunningly smooth as silk. I normally tune my settings to get frame time about 12 to 13ms....but just wanted to do a little pushing today for fun. Before I started, bloody windows did an update (ironicly I just disabled it during this session but was too late). When it rebooted I made my changes and then noticed how nice it felt. Or.... have I just lucked out with the settings when I upped them today not being aware of something?

Settings: Steam vid SS 100% Motion Vector on, Running Kegety shader mod. Terrain and textures high. No Aa. AF16. Vis on Ultra. Water high. Shadows High, Terrain shadows flat. The only things I upped were Visibility, PD to 1.3 and shadows as far as I recall! Frame time at low altitude is about 17 to 18 ms with these settings. But is still smoother than when I was on 13ms with no ghosting in the buildings or power towers.....??

Edited by Macka
spelling again

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Ok. Would you have an explanation/info source somewhere? I'm sorry but it's not clear for me. I'm not even sure to use my reverb at the correct resolution...

Thank you!

Sure, check out this explanation for the 1.4x resolution:

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

https://discord.gg/crJWxy

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/01/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

LOTS of good info and step by step instructions on fettin the most from VR here!

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

I'm wondering what version of SteamVR are you running where 100% global and 100% application are much higher than 2160x2160? The non beta?

I think there were changes to the sliders in the beta version. That last few betas I have global at 150% (recommended) and application at 120% which gives 180% total for 2160 x something a little less.

From what I've read, the ideal is to get as close to the native resolution as possible but there is no setting that will do 2160 x 2160, so should you shoot for what I'm seeing 2160 x or should I shoot for 2160 on the horizontal (first number) or vertical (second number)? Doing the later would oversample the first number above 2200 x

I'm also experiencing a lot of tracking issues even in a well lit room which seems odd. Any advice?

Thanks,

WMR beta and steam vr stable release. Steam vr beta is said to have performance issue's, I haven't tried it. Maybe someone can confirm it or not.

After reading an article on the Reverb, Mura Effect is what I am seeing. So does everyone have that or is it HMD specific? I talked to HP Support and they said they would send a replacement cable. Not sure what that's going to do....

Yes they all have some mura, but in game it's very much unnoticeable. The clarity is just way beyond the rest of the hmd field. Target acquisition is on a different level with the high ppd. 2160x2 should really be the new baseline, add that to a large fov, oculus optics and mech ipd, then I'd pay 1k euro w/o question.

Edited by Zoomer

Sure, check out this explanation for the 1.4x resolution:

Thank you for this.

But : if I hadn't posted a question about this in the forum I would have never known about the 1.4 stuff. I suppose anyone in my situation would wonder why setting the slider at 100% makes the resolution much higher. How come SteamVR doesn't communicate clearly about this ?

I've been using my Reverb for the past couple of days and have noticed a bit of an issue and am wondering if anyone else has noticed/experiencing the same.

Has anyone seen a slight 'bending' or 'bulge' in the panel's centre field of view? For me, this is most evident when looking outside of the cockpit at the scenery; when moving my head slightly from left to right I can notice a slight distortion in a small oval portion of the vertical view to the point where it looks as though the HMD's panels are slightly bent/distorted.

TBH, I don't think you'd notice it if you weren't looking for it. Anyone else experiencing this?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Yes they all have some mura, but in game it's very much unnoticeable. The clarity is just way beyond the rest of the hmd field. Target acquisition is on a different level with the high ppd. 2160x2 should really be the new baseline, add that to a large fov, oculus optics and mech ipd, then I'd pay 1k euro w/o question.

Yup. If I'm really looking to be unhappy with something, and I put my Reverb on, I'm going to see the mura. But, what actually happens when I put my Reverb on in DCS, and can even run it at 4X MSAA in DCS with glass-smooth performance (tried it yesterday, and was amazed), any "mura" fades into the background of how awesome everything looks in the DCS world. Not even noticeable.

Still waiting for my replacement cable from HP that seems to be on eternal back-order, but it was only affecting sound to the built-in phones. I have my wireless Sennheisers that I'm using now, and will probably continue using even after the new cable arrives. The cable is definitely troublesome though, especially when paired with the idiotic way that WMR has for dealing with screen burn-in. It doesn't just turn off the displays (which other, non-WMR HMDs also do), but it also closes whatever app it was that you had running in VR. So, when that incredibly finnicky connector on the headset gets unplugged when you're at low-level, whipping your head around to dodge the SAMs and gunfire, you automatically get kicked out of DCS. This is very annoying, so I'm going to experiment with the old cable and see if I can get a relatively cheap, but reliable CPC connector to work. I doubt very seriously that it will, but I'm going to try it anyway, and I'll post my results here. Might be a really long time before I can do that though, so don't anybody hold their breath, but I will be working on making this thing more reliable in hairy situations in DCS.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

check the flashlight feature of the WMR, I forgot how to do it. But using that you'll see what the camera see's. I remember it being low quality black and white video. it maybe seeing light refraction which blinds it and makes it unable to track points on the wall. white contrast may not be good for the wall, I have black paper cutout contrast on my brown arm rest and white on black desk and drawer, white on black rudder pedals. and 4 feet away from walls so no problem with lights and contrast on wall.

never get problem with tracking

Hey thanks for that, I’ll give something similar a go. I was going to ask what everyone else is doin, cheers!

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has upgraded from a 1080ti to a 2080ti with the reverb and can report some dcs specific performance gains.

I have a 1080ti and I'm considering setting the credit card on fire again.

That is depending on you and how much you want to set your credit card on fire.

• Mathematically according to benchmarks 2080ti is maxed 30% better.
  • Cost of 2080ti is around 1200$
  • 1080ti you can sell for around 400$
  • 1080ti still got solid performance with Reverb

When you calculate everything I think the gain is minimal compared to the investment you need for 2080ti. Also, 2080ti is already an old card and next year Nvidia releasing new generation anyway. Also till the end of this year, AMD is lunching 5800XT on what Nvidia will need to respond like it was with SUPER line of Turing cards. So till the end of the year, you can even get 2080ti for significantly less. It is not the right time for an upgrade when 2080ti is definitely the end of its primetime.

Put your credit card into the refrigerator to cool down or maybe get 2080Super for 700$. You will gain some 20% max but for significantly less money and when the new card arrives next year when you sell it you will lose less than with 2080ti which will be old card nex year as well.

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has upgraded from a 1080ti to a 2080ti with the reverb and can report some dcs specific performance gains.

My advice PART 2.

Try to do some test in that way.

With your curent1080ti raise some in-game details by your preferences where you will lose around 8 FPS.

Probably you will get some stuttering but denial this. Point is what you will get a picture of what increased details will be achieved with 2080ti but smooth.

So then think about it is this level of details is justifying such investment or you will wait next year with 1080ti for even higher gain for a similar investment.

For 2080Super do the same but loosing only 5 FPS and then compare all, level of details and investment.

Also, have in mind possible CPU bottleneck. It is depending also on your CPU and GPU combo. Because of your CPU, such investment could fail to reach significant gain.

For help check some of Bottleneck calculator.

Edited by wormeaten

My advice PART 2.

Try to do some test in that way.

With your curent1080ti raise some in-game details by your preferences where you will lose around 8 FPS.

Probably you will get some stuttering but denial this. Point is what you will get a picture of what increased details will be achieved with 2080ti but smooth.

So then think about it is this level of details is justifying such investment or you will wait next year with 1080ti for even higher gain for a similar investment.

For 2080Super do the same but loosing only 5 FPS and then compare all, level of details and investment.

Also, have in mind possible CPU bottleneck. It is depending also on your CPU and GPU combo. Because of your CPU, such investment could fail to reach significant gain.

For help check some of Bottleneck calculator.

Hey , thanks for that link to the bottleneck calculator .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Id second wormeatens advice.

But the RTX2080Super is only about 5% or 2fps faster than the 1080Ti, so that would be not a good Investment.

1080ti is according to benchmarks more equal to 2070Super so This 2080Super is just transition advice where you will not lose much of the value next year when nextgen Nvidia releasing a new line of GPU based on 7nm technology and that will be a significant gain. That is what we want and need.

2080ti is simply too expensive and will lose half of the value just in one year. That will be waisted 600$ in just one year. Practically HP Reverb just for itching credit card.

That is how I'm thinking about this problem. In that case, 2080Super is a better deal because will loose only approximate 150$ and the same value will be lost 1080ti in that period as well and will be harder to sell.

This is a very hard decision but now 2080ti definitely not worth that money the performance you gain with it.

Dont know how but the Mura Effect lessened yesterday. I did learn it is mainly software related.

Dont know how but the Mura Effect lessened yesterday. I did learn it is mainly software related.

That's interesting. I see it in the cliffhouse mainly, but not in DCS.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hey all,

2080ti here, Reverb with DCS smooth as silk with all maxed, constant 45 fps with reprojection.

Yes, is expensive, but if you can... Live!nobody knows what will happen next year!