HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

My thoughts and observations on the reverb:

My IPD might be 62 to 64ish...maybe ill remeasure it sometime and post.

My eyesight is good I can see better than all my friends and dominate in RC aircombat. I dont use corrective nothing.

My first Vr headset was the SO+ I was never that happy with it and thought that originally it must be partly defective because it didnt seem as clear as people made it out to sound. When I found that it probably wasn't defective I kept it as there was likley no better option.

I got the reverb and was partly expecting to go "welp here we go again these people must all be blind..." Actually not this time I'm impressed. My initial reaction was it actually does look as good as a monitor. Thats actually not true but its such a huge improvement over the SO+ that at first glance it does look as good as a monitor.

The sweet spot:

is much improved so much so that I was unaware of the sweet spot until I took the time to look for it. Once you look for it its noticeable but it transitions from the sweet spot to the "not sweet spot" pretty smoothly and the sweet spot and usable area is large enough that by the time you get to the area of major degradation its so far off to the edge that its hidden by the frame or black edge that cuts off your natural FOV.

FOV:

I cant tell a noticeable difference in horizontal or vertical FOV vs the SO+

SDE:

SDE is more noticeable vs the SO+ BUT appears conditional (I would like your thoughts on this phenomenon) A way of describing this might be the SO+ hid SDE by smearing grease over the lens well sure you cant see the SDE but the whole image is also blurred by the grease. The Reverb removes the grease and the image is very clear especially at longer ranges but because the image is now clear you can also make out the pixels even if you aren't looking for them its noticeable. The trade off is quite acceptable. NOW here is the conditional part that Im curious if you guys also notice. If you hold your head totally still while looking at a fixed object like the WRM cliff house wall or that green turtle thing in the steamvr house the SDE is 100% eliminated. No matter how hard I look I cant see a single pixel and its nearly as good as a monitor. but the moment I move my head at all I see very noticeable SDE and I can almost make out the individual colors (like green and red) making up that color group and can see the very clear square outline of each pixel or pixel group if you will. Does anyone else notice this??

LED color:

First impression was black was a bit more grey but everything else was fine. After actually taking the time to look yep its a bit more washed out vs my color calibrated monitor or SO+. Not enough to worry about until I remind my self about it. Would like to have the color reproduction of the SO+ which was quite nice but can move past this after about 27 seconds its all but forgotten again and unlike SDE im not forced to be reminded about it accidentally during game play.

Mura:

Yep its slightly noticeable people want to blame the panels. Im not convinced it isn't the lens. Just like with the SO+ I blame a lot of the shortfalls on the use of the fresnel lens. I still feel this lens choice has no right being used in anything attempting precision...which is why we get banding, chromatic and spherical aberration, a "sweet spot" and probably "mura" and overall degradation in quality. But yeah at the end of the day they need to sell units and a decent piece of apochromatic proper ground glass is going to cost probably over a 1000 USD then the argument could be made that the hardware isnt good enough to justify the lens so we get stuck with plastic BS that is actually ok for now. I would like to think that in 2 years or so a true 3rd gen system will actually be using a glass lens...maybe not an apochromat but at least not some crappy plastic and "sweet spot" will be a legacy issue.

Comfort:

much improved over the SO+ I dont get red marks on my face. Does take some effort to adjust initially it was putting excessive pressure on cheek bones near nose but was able to adjust out.

Steam VR VS Steam VR beta

Steam VR seemed to run smoother. Despite what ive read on here I got full resolution at 188% using either Beta or non beta. With beta I was unable to achieve native resolution at 106% it took 188% same with regular. Not sure if this recently changed.

Tracking:

Better than SO+ it appears that it finds my space faster and has slightly less tendency to lose tracking when looking down. I found both systems to be quite acceptable and I am happy to not have to install lighthouses. Inside out tracking will likley replace lighthouses in future revisions. The last thing I need to more crap to bolt to my walls.

Image distortion:

Possibly and issue related to IPD

In DCS main menu when I move my head slow across the image from L to R or R to L I can see a fish eye type distortion near the center of the image like someone were pushing a softball through the back of the panel causing it to curve. Anyone else notice this? Not obvious during game play

-Gun

I received my 2nd! reverb (the first one was a brick and did not work at all... had to send it back)

My impressions are very much like Gun Jam's

Image quality is amazing, and tracking is pretty good.

I've read bad things about the LCD screen being not bright enough... and I have no idea what those folks are talking about. I suppose it isn't as vivid as my Vive, but unless I swap back and forth very quickly, I can't tell.

SDE = (I can't see SDE)

Mura = (I guess? If it's there, it's not noticeable in DCS... at least not noticeable enough to be a distraction...)

FOV = Same as the other headsets.

Image distortion: I do get some distortion (warping) around the middle. I also think it is related to IPD (which you cannot physically change in the reverb.) I am going to end up adding some padding to the headset to put it a little bit further from my face. I think that will fix most of this problem.

I did have a few rare flicks of blackscreen in DCS, but I am unsure if it is the software or hardware.

In all, I'm happy with the upgrade from the O.G. Vive (with Samsung gear VR lens mod)

A few of my own notes:

Going from Vive to Reverb: You need a well lit room... Not a big deal, just an FYI

And for anyone that cares about motion controllers. A lot of reviews say they suck... which they 100% do. The motion controllers are terrible. The design is fine, but the tracking is very slow, they lag... and they drift a lot. (and apparently they drain batteries like no tomorrow.) They are not unusable, but they are not fun to use.

Anyhow...

It's a nice headset overall, but the black screen flickers worry me. I hope the warranty holds its own.

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Regarding black screen flickers in DCS, I'm seeing them randomly in one eye or the other and never both at the same time. Seem to happen more often on the ground than in the air.

Important note is, they started for me a few weeks ago, not sure exactly when, and they started when I was using my Rift S. I switched to the Reverb about a week ago and they are still there.

Different headsets connected to different USB and even Display port and they are exactly the same. Oh and they persisted through three or so different Nvidia drivers all installed after a display driver uninstall setup.

My conclusion there, is that the black screen flashes probably are not the headset. Maybe something in DCS. So just an FYI before you send it back.

My conclusion there, is that the black screen flashes probably are not the headset. Maybe something in DCS. So just an FYI before you send it back.

Get a PCI card with a seperate (USB) memory controller. Maybe the headsets aren't receiving stable enough electricity from the mainboard USB ports. This is then a hardware issue, not software nor headset.

Get a PCI card with a seperate (USB) memory controller. Maybe the headsets aren't receiving stable enough electricity from the mainboard USB ports. This is then a hardware issue, not software nor headset.

Possible, though the issue only started recently, and I'd been running the Rift for a while. It actually started shortly after the firmware update fixed the static flash issue. I've got a very high wattage brand new supply on the system as well.

Has anyone tried an external powered hub? Theoretically the connectivity should be the same if it was USB3 and the external supply would augment the power draw.

Possible, though the issue only started recently, and I'd been running the Rift for a while. It actually started shortly after the firmware update fixed the static flash issue. I've got a very high wattage brand new supply on the system as well.

Has anyone tried an external powered hub? Theoretically the connectivity should be the same if it was USB3 and the external supply would augment the power draw.

I've read elsewhere on this thread that powered hubs don't work. I use a powered USB 3 card and that works well.

A small pie is soon eaten

I have tried an external powered hub, and it wasn't sufficient for running an HMD along with my HOTAS. I have a 5 port USB 3.0, internal PCIe card that has a direct connection to my 1200W power supply. No VR HMD problems since installing that.

Your power supply may be high wattage, but that doesn't necessarily mean your motherboard USB ports are going to provide enough juice to run everything. They're really not intended for anything other than the typical USB peripherals, like external hard drives and printers. Plug a HOTAS and LCD display HMD into them and you're riding on the edge of a failure condition. The internal card is a cheap, solid solution.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I've read elsewhere on this thread that powered hubs don't work. I use a powered USB 3 card and that works well.

I run a powered USB 3 port plugged into my motherboard's Intel USB 3 , and have my Rift S plugged into the powered hub - working fine for me.

I do not have any other devices plugged into the hub though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have a powered hub from Anker that's also plugged into an outlet as well as a USB 3 port in my motherboard. I use it to plug in some of my flight gear but I also use a startek dual bus USB 3.0 card for the odyssey. I had to buy it when I owned the rift because the Cv1 had issues using all the ports for the sensors and also my flight pedals.

If your usb 3.0 ports from the motherboard don't power the hmd to full bandwidth you will see issues later. It may work fine on some motherboards and it may or may not show issues for everyone. So it's a try it and see type of thing.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yes it is.... spotlight function....it is a wmr function

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I moved the Reverb to a powered USB Hub connected to the Intel USB 3 port on my board, it works the same as it did connected directly. That is, I still get the occasional black flash in one eye or the other, but otherwise it seems to work fine.

So again, I can't say what's causing the flashes for sure, only that they seem to happen regardless of hardware. Given that other people are reporting them as well, and that I built this system new mid Feb, I don't think it's an issue with my hardware.

It'd be great to determine a cause though. The flashes are not game breaking, and I hope it remains that way, but they are annoying and somewhat immersion breaking.

off subject but a quick question do blue tooth earbuds work with the reverb ?

Win 10,MB GA-X79S-UP5 cpu i7-3820 water cooled,GPU 1080ti ,psu corsair HX1200i,,ram Dominator 32GB trackir 5,VKB Gunfighter stick , throttle ,saitek x65f & CH pedals

off subject but a quick question do blue tooth earbuds work with the reverb ?

The Reverb allows you to easily remove the built-in headphones. Beyond that, whatever your alternative sound solution is should work, independently of the Reverb. I use a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones which are connected to the Yamaha receiver I run my PCs sound through. It works great. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

does the on board mic work with with wireless ?

Not sure what you are asking? The onboard mic is part of the headset which has very fat wire going to it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

New failure. Not sure its WMR/reverb/DCS or whatever...

Headset froze the picture, however DCS kept running fine on the flat screen. Anyone seen that happen?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

what I would like to know is if I buy wireless earbuds for the reverb do they have to have a mic or will the mic on the reverb still work in conjunction with the earbuds ?

Win 10,MB GA-X79S-UP5 cpu i7-3820 water cooled,GPU 1080ti ,psu corsair HX1200i,,ram Dominator 32GB trackir 5,VKB Gunfighter stick , throttle ,saitek x65f & CH pedals

New failure. Not sure its WMR/reverb/DCS or whatever...

Headset froze the picture, however DCS kept running fine on the flat screen. Anyone seen that happen?

I had that on my original reverb. Haven't seen it on the replacement yet. Yet.

So far the only problem I have had was yesterday evening the the display on the headset didn't start up until I rebooted the pc

A small pie is soon eaten

what I would like to know is if I buy wireless earbuds for the reverb do they have to have a mic or will the mic on the reverb still work in conjunction with the earbuds ?
You can still use the mic separately on the Reverb if using alternative headphones or speakers.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I believe you can set the reverb mic up for an input device in windows for something like SRS, and you can also specify a different output sound device for DCS.

The Reverb does have 3.5mm jack but in that case I think your earbuds also need to have a mic (80% sure based on the one time I did it).