HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I have Motion Reprojection on all of the time now. It makes it smooth most of the time and helps near the ground. They have cleaned up a lot of the artifacts it used to produce.
Just to be clear have you set that in the default.vrsettings file in the mixedrealityvrdriver\resources\settings folder to motionvector?

Or can you do this in SteamVR settings now?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

It seems that with today’s video cards and cable speeds in order to drive two 4K panels we need one video card per eye, a headset that has two inputs and a specialized driver for DCS.

At least until the next gen of cards and cables come out.

The GTX 1080 series seems like it came close to doubling the performance of the GTX 980 series. This new RTX series only added 20-25% with ray tracing which is not in DCS. Hopefully the next gen of NV cards will improve frame rate performance for DCS.

Aurelius was trying to do it, but short answer is NO not natively though it does work for flat screens iirc. There was a long thread on it a few months back.

News on the front. Hp e-mailed me today. The swap for my reverb for a new one is delayed to half August. I found i must share this to us all.

Boedha - how did you arrange this with HP? I have Reverb that works fine (with cable tie and PCIe USB board), but would like a swap if HP is offering that at no cost. Thanks.

It seems that with today’s video cards and cable speeds in order to drive two 4K panels we need one video card per eye, a headset that has two inputs and a specialized driver for DCS.

At least until the next gen of cards and cables come out.

The GTX 1080 series seems like it came close to doubling the performance of the GTX 980 series. This new RTX series only added 20-25% with ray tracing which is not in DCS. Hopefully the next gen of NV cards will improve frame rate performance for DCS.

actual gpu's are more than capable of properly and smoothly running vr games and games in general, the problem is within dcs engine as everyone knows.

ED is trying to increase peformance of VR in this regards but imho we'll see real benefits when they'll move to a new engine built from scratch :thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

actual gpu's are more than capable of properly and smoothly running vr games and games in general, the problem is within dcs engine as everyone knows.

ED is trying to increase peformance of VR in this regards but imho we'll see real benefits when they'll move to a new engine built from scratch :thumbup:

All of the deficiencies noted in this thread with reverb cabling, stuttering, flickering and displayport bandwidth limitations tend to disprove your singular blame ED position. Twin 4K images offset and optimized to provide 3d 6DOF imaging require a large amount of processing hardware power. Especially for those that think they need 90+ FPS. Is there room for ED improvement, yes, are they working on it, yes. Is it the only thing needing improvement, no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to be clear have you set that in the default.vrsettings file in the mixedrealityvrdriver\resources\settings folder to motionvector?

You still have to do that by editing the file.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yes it is - I have mine on 'auto' - I might try this. I believe auto will kick it in automatically ?

All of the deficiencies noted in this thread with reverb cabling, stuttering, flickering and displayport bandwidth limitations tend to disprove your singular blame ED position. Twin 4K images offset and optimized to provide 3d 6DOF imaging require a large amount of processing hardware power. Especially for those that think they need 90+ FPS. Is there room for ED improvement, yes, are they working on it, yes. Is it the only thing needing improvement, no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The higher resolution panels in the Reverb have actually had a beneficial effect on performance. PD above 1.0 in DCS and/or SS in Steam VR are the real performance killers. The Reverb gives better performance at its native resolution than a CV1 running at 2.0 PD, and it looks a lot better too. People do like to blame DCS for everything in VR though, often wrongly comparing performance to "other sims" that aren't nearly as complex.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The higher resolution panels in the Reverb have actually had a beneficial effect on performance. PD above 1.0 in DCS and/or SS in Steam VR are the real performance killers. The Reverb gives better performance at its native resolution than a CV1 running at 2.0 PD, and it looks a lot better too. People do like to blame DCS for everything in VR though, often wrongly comparing performance to "other sims" that aren't nearly as complex.

Software for HMD has a lot to do with performance. Remember, lot of us had CV1 and in the beginning, things were not as smooth as it is today. The combination of software updates, windows updates, DCS updates all made it better.

I must say, Oculus does a bang up job with their software. First on the scene but they have certainly kept up. I just felt that the Rift S was a marginal upgrade w/ known downsides (for me) like no built-in headphones. So I pulled the trigger on Reverb.

The smoothness is there. There is no problem with WMR software, other than the 1903 fiasco. My reverb runs WAY WAY WAY more smooth than Pimax that as a lower resolution.

Also, I will add that it's not *just* resolution. If you read up on how fresnel lens works, you can imagine how much "art" there must be for getting it to work in a particular scenario.

With all that said, I wouldn't trade my Reverb in for ANYTHING. I simply love the much much clearer visuals.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I had two big surprises with the Reverb besides just the clarity. For me most of the display is very clear. I hesitate to even call it a sweet spot and about 15% which is the perimeter fuzzes out a bit but is still readable. I realize depending on your IPD and facial structure that may be lower. I think my experience must be close to the maximum.

The second big surprise is the performance is even better than my Lenovo Explorer is because the native resolution allows super-sampling and other processing to be reduced and lessened to a significant extent.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

I just found out that the Acer Ojo ConceptD VR headset is using the very same lenses as the HP Reverb. They are made by JDI a Japanese company and supplying both manufacturers.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Yep, the OJO ConceptD has exactly the same hardware, except they decided to add an IPD adjustment. The information was shared by Microsoft a few months ago when they presented the new iteration of their WMR headsets.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I hope it isn't the same cable design biggrin.gif

HP was having similar problems with gen1 HP WMR. Obviously, they try to do the same with this practical but technically not necessary additional connectors for cables. Now with more bandwidth needs cables even create more problems but the source is the same.

Problem practically come out after longer sessions and I don't know did anyone try it with a laptop on the back and short cable.

Obviously, they were not aware of these problems because of the short testing session. One guy on his review was not aware of these problems because he never flights longer sessions. After he read about it he tries to repeat this bugs and he experiences it but after he hears about it on forum discusion.

This thing happened, especially with new products. HP working on a fix and that is most important because for me right now Reverb is the only solution for VR. Maybe Acer in the future depends on the price. I'm not planning to pay more than 100$ just for manual IPD.

To me it does look a bit heavier but if you need the IPD adjustment - you need it. It's much harder to adjust your head. :chair:

Doesn't look like it shares anything with the reverb apart from the panels and inside out tracking.

acer-conceptd-ojo-2.jpg

I just received a email from Shopblt.com that they will be receiving the Reverb Pro on 8/1/19 I'm pretty low on the list so I'm hoping to receive it soon after that.

I’ve emailed them to see if it’s the updated version as I received a shipping notice from shopblt. Going by post here the updated version isn’t due till late August.

ZOMG

ShopBLT just shipped mine! Hope its not shite.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yea I'd like to know as well. Will wait a bit longer before I decide to finally order if it is indeed the fixed model.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

My Reverb arrives Monday from ShopBLT. Ordered a regulated PCI USB 3 card for a good port power source. Next up is to decide on a replacement on my 1080 card. Considering a 2080 Super or the cheapest EVGA Black 2080 Ti which is around $950 direct.

My main concern is 2080Ti reliability and also the extreme temperatures that they run, 75-85C at full load. The added capability is probably worth the price jump from 2080 Super to the Black 2080 Ti.

Any advice from current owners would be appreciated.

My Reverb arrives Monday from ShopBLT. Ordered a regulated PCI USB 3 card for a good port power source. Next up is to decide on a replacement on my 1080 card. Considering a 2080 Super or the cheapest EVGA Black 2080 Ti which is around $950 direct.

My main concern is 2080Ti reliability and also the extreme temperatures that they run, 75-85C at full load. The added capability is probably worth the price jump from 2080 Super to the Black 2080 Ti.

I have a Reverb and the cheapest 2080Ti I could get at the time (Palit). My man cave (ok, small room in the attic!) gets pretty hot. I have a fan on my face to keep me & the headset cool(ish) but the PC never has a problem with heat with the 2080Ti and overclocked 8600K inside it, thus far.

Reverb has been reliable. The only issue was when I left it running for a long period unattended (no fans) and it was very hot when I got back to it (room was over 30c). It was flickering and had dropped to 60Hz. I cooled it down, restarted the PC and all was fine. I make sure it goes to sleep if not being used now.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

2080tis are the problem, after two dead Palits (both with Micron VRAM and near 80C with DCS and its twin fans at max) I have a good working triple fan Zotac ZT-T20810D-10P version (with Samsung VRAM) running always overclocked with DCS showing not more than 64C, peaks near 70C but never over 70C. Is good for fluent Rift at 2.0 PD and sometimes 2*MSAA on (but the last time I could´t find a difference with MSAA enabled or not at 2.0 PD, so I leave it off most time now). Still waiting for my Reverb from German HP store....delayed til mid of Aug

Edited by Foxmike

ShopBLT shipped mine yesterday. My first VR headset now the learning will begin.

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, G-Skill Z 3200mhz DDR4 @ 3333 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset