HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I only have one 60W light on the left hand side of my desk, and the Reverb syncs about 9 times out of 10 first time.

Interesting that all our experiences are so different.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thank you. Does the Reverb need light directly in front? I added a lamp to the right, so I need more lamps? I never had this issue before.

I havent searched for the minimum lighting. From 3 years of Rift gaming I always had a quite dark environment when gaming. After I got the Reverb, I knew from the beginning that lighting is needed. I began with only the ceiling light, and found it not enough for perfect tracking so I started using all lamps in the gaming room. When all is lighted, never any problem.

I have forgotten the other light a few times in the beginning, and found tracking issues, mostly I get 3DOF(can turn the head ion all directions but not move it).

So after e few fails I alway turn on all four lights and then it ALWAYS tracks 100%.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I havent searched for the minimum lighting. From 3 years of Rift gaming I always had a quite dark environment when gaming. After I got the Reverb, I knew from the beginning that lighting is needed. I began with only the ceiling light, and found it not enough for perfect tracking so I started using all lamps in the gaming room. When all is lighted, never any problem.

I have forgotten the other light a few times in the beginning, and found tracking issues, mostly I get 3DOF(can turn the head ion all directions but not move it).

So after e few fails I alway turn on all four lights and then it ALWAYS tracks 100%.

I use mini leds attached on my desk.

And also without the room main lights tracking is ok.

This is with rift s not reverb, tracking system is similar but ritf s has more tracking cameras

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Question after receiving replacement reverb.

I had a cable issue with my reverb and HP sent a whole new unit. I use the long cable over headphones too (which I dont use) So the issue was apparently on the HMD side and not the PC cable side.

It took several weeks to get the replacement unit. There is one thing that I noticed right away as being quite different. I used FPSVR to show frame rate and temps. I have the floating panel on the left side low it moves a bit with my head movements. Previously despite being about the same distance away as the airspeed indicator on the f14 it looked blurry and was a bit difficult to focus on as if it were much closer to my face than the air speed indicator.

Now with the new headset its very easy to focus on and is not blurry. its focus distance is about that of the airspeed indicator.

Is this because of the new headset or the new updates? Anyone else notice this?

Thanks!

most likely because of the new headset, but then again Ive only had mine for about a week.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

My solution ended up being adhesive-backed foam weather stripping. It was a cheap solution that was really easy to apply.

You are a genious, thanks !!!!! Reverb will stop torturing my nose !!!!

Edited by cercata

Looks like you have whatever facial issue it is that I have. For some reason, where the Reverb naturally settles into my face, it gets the lenses too close to my eyes and I end up seeing this distorted blue halo which is the most visible at the bottom. I tried adjusting the straps too, and it only helped a little bit. My solution ended up being adhesive-backed foam weather stripping. It was a cheap solution that was really easy to apply. Try loading up DCS in the Reverb and then slowly pull the Reverb straight away from your eyes. If your problem is the same as mine was, you'll see the distortion at the bottom go away, and will probably see the whole image get even clearer than it already was by a small amount.

That actually sounds like a good idea. Might have to give this a shot too since I wear glasses and Im waiting on a set of prescription lenses to come.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I have been with my reverb since January, and I came across a bit of advice that seems incredibly obvious... “if it feels too tight on your face... loosen the straps... people tend to wear them too tight”...

I know it sounds daft, but I used to have discomfort in my nose eyebrows and eyes .i also wear the prescription lenses from vr opticians... but readjusting the straps works like a charm... no more discomfort...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I got coke bottle lenses , and they just get mashed against my face. Im going to be looking for some decent aftermarket pads for this thing soon.

My wallpaper and skins

For the 'Reverb hurts my nose' problem and nothing sticking to the nose rubber,

I now use these white circular cotton wool makeup removal pads that your wife or sister uses, these fit right in,

perhaps use two, soft, no more nose problem.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

That actually sounds like a good idea. Might have to give this a shot too since I wear glasses and Im waiting on a set of prescription lenses to come.

I've done the weather stripping trick do and while it's not perfect, it works to push the HMD away from your face to get the correct eye relief.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I have been with my reverb since January, and I came across a bit of advice that seems incredibly obvious... “if it feels too tight on your face... loosen the straps... people tend to wear them too tight”...

I know it sounds daft, but I used to have discomfort in my nose eyebrows and eyes .i also wear the prescription lenses from vr opticians... but readjusting the straps works like a charm... no more discomfort...

I am the opposite. I have the straps as absolutely loose as I can get them and sometimes the HMD slides around when I'm doing some rapid head movements like in BFM. Any tighther and the lenses are too close to my eyes (no glasses). I need to add some more weather stripping foam to see if I can tighten the straps down a bit, but just haven't gotten around it it yet.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Anyone experience the issue of a very zoomed in visual within the WMR dashboard and subsequently migrating to the DCS menu screen?

This appears to be a Steam VR issue.

SOLVED: Apparently other older software downloaded though Steam, overwrote some critical Microsoft Net files thereby rendering the VR view in a zoom view. Updated Windows 10 and once again, life was good.

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use mini leds attached on my desk.

And also without the room main lights tracking is ok.

This is with rift s not reverb, tracking system is similar but ritf s has more tracking cameras

Would this be a good solution for the Reverb?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

For the 'Reverb hurts my nose' problem and nothing sticking to the nose rubber,

I now use these white circular cotton wool makeup removal pads that your wife or sister uses, these fit right in,

perhaps use two, soft, no more nose problem.

Cool idea, thank you, found pads, with wings! :pilotfly:

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

It's not that easy, when you loosen the straps, it can harm you more in the nose ... it depends on your face.

Some people may need to do some mods to be confortable.

Cable mount clip HP Reverb by 13WELT_JankeS

I noticed the post on Reddit and somewhere in this thread about the excellent cable mod that 13WELT_JankeS has made. Unfortunately the STL file is no longer hosted at the onedrive url that was listed. Does anyone have a copy of the file for me?

Well. So after a week or so of Reverb:

I love it, but as it is my first VR headset my expectations were high and in some way they were fulfilled I think.

Some things I noticed:

1. too many things have to be opened, WMR Home, SteamVR, fpsVR and sometimes there's all this confusion with the mouse and desktop, DCS, and alt+tab win+y, it's annoying af!!

2. I can see the lenses when using the VR, not all the time, but I certainly can see them some of the times (and the black frame around the lenses). I guess for the simulators this is what you would see in some way with the helmet/goggles on. My IPD is 60 something ;p

3. I see jagged edges in some parts of the hangar (in IL2 and DCS), and on some of the "stuff" @ Steam VR home, there's also random trembling fonts and other items that I can't seem to resolve. (I have a external powered USB 3.0 hub)

4. there's so many things that can add or kill performance, enhance or blur instruments, is mind blowing and even following setup tutorials one item can work for one person and not really for other the hit and miss trial and error is tiresome.

5. Monitoring fpsVR my old 4770 is almost all the time on red/orange and my 2070 super is trying her best to keep it up. 16 gb ram maybe on the edge. 30/40 fps on DCS single player, flying around. Missions will take a hit. On IL2 it's always 35/45 single and MP but much more smooth. A breeze.

Thanks for all the input on this topic!

It's a game changer!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

are there any aftermarket parts for the foam inserts? I got some weather stripping for it, but its not all that adhesive to my liking and dont want to superglue this stuff on.

My wallpaper and skins

are there any aftermarket parts for the foam inserts? I got some weather stripping for it, but its not all that adhesive to my liking and dont want to superglue this stuff on.

Someone mentioned Vive foam fits

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Someone mentioned Vive foam fits

all right I ll look into that stuff.

My wallpaper and skins

I've had decent results with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V7MV1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But, it looks like they're out of them now at Amazon. You might be able to find them at another vendor.

Keep in mind though that others have tried these recently and found them to not be compatible with glasses. YMMV

The set I got gave me a little more eye relief than the factory HP Pro pad, so it mostly eliminated the problem of being able to see the lens edges. The foam weather stripping I started off with completely eliminated the lens edge problem, but time and heat causes the adhesive to start migrating and it becomes kind of a clunky solution. The VR Cover Vive pads have been a good compromise for me, but again, not everybody has been pleased with the result.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

You would think that a very popular headset would have some aftermarket stuff for it. Ill BOLO.

My wallpaper and skins

Totally new observations with steam super sampling.

Im running steam vr 1.11.11. This looks like a recent update and I notice a few new things about it one of which is a new looking "settings" menu.

I got a replacement reverb unit last week and ended up revisiting the super sampling menu. In the past I think I had to set it near 188% or something like that to get 2160x2160 native res.

Now I noticed that its apparently called "render resolution" Or is this a new setting I dont recall that before I though it was always just "super sampling" I do notice that 100% is now equal to native resolution.

In the past using SS above native resolution didn't give any noticeable results but would sometimes lead to people arguing that it did make a difference others would claim that it did not. In my case I saw little to no improvement going beyond native resolution.

I wanted to check this again this time I moved what is now "render resolution" to 200% and saw a noticeable improvement... Each time I moved this up I saw an equal improvement. At 500% im kicking down the door to resolution about equal to that of a 2k 30" monitor not quite as good but well beyond what I though this headset could do and much better than anything I have seen before in person VR wise. I also saw a steady drop in FPS as well at 100% I was getting a pretty solid 90 flying f14 instant action DAC Nevada with the f16. At 500% this was now to an avg of about 38ish

there isn't a way to really show you the improvement but I can simulate it.

F-14 just below the hud, right side there is a small red stripe.. this is actually text but until today was just a red stripe. Here is a simulation of how it looked before at 188%ss or more vs 500% render res.

At 500% I can see that it reads something like "AM or FM" 23445. The first two characters aren't easy to see but I can see the number reads 23445...the 5 is hard to break out too but its a 5. I can read this without vrzoom with head in normal upright position.

When did this change? Did I totally miss the discussion about this? It seems that even though it beats up frame rate that the quality currently available is still impressive. I do notice blurring during even slow head movement at above 200% it always occurs but becomes really noticeable above 200 I suspect.

Thoughts on this?

100%.bmp

500%.bmp

Edited by Gun Jam

what does this supersampling do in the steamvr menu?

My wallpaper and skins